[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Wag,

I must’ve missed the details if you posted it before...Spill it, again!

That’s good stuff!

😎

It all started the summer of 69.......🤔

Ha,..seriously. We stopped by papa’s(dad’s) that morning and said to him “how in the world are we going to get a deer in shooting range and get a shot”!
My daughter being 9 at the time I had my doubts.

At one point she was up dancing in the blind we built..(she’s quite entertaining to say the least) and just 40 yards away a nice little fork horn saw us and decided it would be best for him to run like hell!

30 minutes later a nice mature buck shows up 100 yards down the ridge walking away. I grunt several times at him, he turns and walks straight for us. I grab my daughter, throw her on my lap. Somehow the stars aligned, he walked straight for us. Got to 40 yards, turned sideways in a shooting lane. Unbelievable to say the least!

Undoubtedly my most enjoyable hunt!

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
There was this one time when I was running from the cops.

I was in a terrible trailer park. Every fence you jumped over you found yourself in another fence ........with a fugging dog.

I had gotten away........but the cops were still on me.

I ducked under a pickup in a driveway. No way anyone would look for me there.

The pickup had a 10 inch lift. Ray Charles could have seen me hiding unde that pickup.

A good hunt!

I am MAGA.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Heck of a gang you got there Jim!

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thanks Wagner!

Those pictures you posted brought a tear to my eye.

Good man!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wagner
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Wag,

I must’ve missed the details if you posted it before...Spill it, again!

That’s good stuff!

😎

It all started the summer of 69.......🤔

Ha,..seriously. We stopped by papa’s(dad’s) that morning and said to him “how in the world are we going to get a deer in shooting range and get a shot”!
My daughter being 9 at the time I had my doubts.

At one point she was up dancing in the blind we built..(she’s quite entertaining to say the least) and just 40 yards away a nice little fork horn saw us and decided it would be best for him to run like hell!

30 minutes later a nice mature buck shows up 100 yards down the ridge walking away. I grunt several times at him, he turns and walks straight for us. I grab my daughter, throw her on my lap. Somehow the stars aligned, he walked straight for us. Got to 40 yards, turned sideways in a shooting lane. Unbelievable to say the least!

Undoubtedly my most enjoyable hunt!

LMAO....Summer of 69
Good deal Wag. Thanks for sharing that. Unforgettable for you and the young lady. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking back on nearly 40 years, and I have to say that it is hard to pick the most enjoyable. I've got a bunch of them under my belt that tickle me just thinking about them, each for their own reasons. Maybe I'm just easy to please. Heck, I'll readily admit to having wonderful hunts with my first wife, Satan.

Lessee:

Boar hunting out of Crossville TN in 84

Dove hunting out of Hernando MS. My buddy Kip took me down to his family's place, an antebellum mansion.

Bird hunting near Mt. Olivet, KY-- this is how I learned about the area where I got my farm. Pheasant, quail, and partridge behind great dogs. I became determined to find a place out that way. It took 10 years of looking.

My first big bow buck out of Vevay, IN in 1991. A year later, a bigger buck out of the same tree.

My first deer at the farm, and a week later my first buck-- taken with my 8 yr old son watching-- 2001

My first turkey at the farm, 2002

My first big buck at the farm, 2003.

The biggest buck ever at the farm, 2007

My youngest son's first buck, 2010.

. . . and all sorts of deer hunts, turkey hunts and other hunts in between.

All I can say is that there have been wonderful hunts with sons and really good friends and even alone that I feel truly gifted. Most of the ones from the past 20 years are on my weblog.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure a lot of you guys get tired of me talking about hunting with my dad, but that will always be my favorites. From running rabbits with the beagles on Thanksgiving Day, to squirrel hunting our family homestead, to deer hunts from camp. I shot my first deer on what would sadly be Dad's last hunt. He died the following spring.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My first grouse hunt in Watauga county with my GSP Jake, and we were hunting an old apple orchard. Jake was in his prime, but had never seen or smelled a grouse until that day. He pointed two and bumped one up. Browning Sweet 16 and high brass number 6's worked.

Hat trick on our first grouse hunt. My boy ate very well that night.

Wish I could pull a few more briers out of his old ears.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Taking my son to wife's relative's ranch north of Malta, Montana for his first mule deer hunt... Howie took us out to an area he thought might be productive.. As we peeked over the edge of a ridge, two nice mulies jumped up and ran about 50 yards before stopping and looking back.. One of them was especially nice - with a good rack and nice size.. Adam took my M70 in .264WM, took a rest on Howie's coat, laying prone.. I ranged it at 320 yards, and downhill maybe 15-20 degrees. Rifle was sighted for 250 so I told him to just aim normally.. About 5 seconds passed before the shot - and that deer dropped like he was hit with a hammer... One shot - one kill..

I was very proud of him..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All of the hunts with my dad, When I was young he would bring me out in the woods, where I didnt have a clue where I was and leave me sitting on a stump. He would then make a big circle around me trying to push deer to me. when i got a little older he and I would push to each other and meet up on a mountaintop for lunch. When he got a bit older I would make him a ground blind and push to him. Sometimes we had succes and sometimes we didnt but we always had a good time and made memories. Dad stopped hunting about 10 years ago and has since passed. Wish I could have one more hunt with him.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Granddaughter got her first buck

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I just got back from a Southwestern Arizona desert mule deer bowhunt. Came close, but no cigar this time. What a challenging hunt is some beautiful, rugged terrain! In my 60's and not as fast as I used to be, but I kept up and really enjoyed it all! Planning on going again.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
For me it was sitting with my children, wife and nephew when they killed their first deer.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Around 8 years old following Gramps in the woods, I saw a big hand ease back towards me motioning me tight to his side, he laid a bent arm, the bottom of his right forearm on top of my right shoulder, I followed the long arm to a pointed finger, a little buck was standing there about 50 yards out, we stood in place and watched that motionless buck for what seemed like an eternity, probably only 3-4 minutes, the buck turned around and headed back the way he came, I ask Gramps why that buck stood for so long without moving, "that buck has all day to stay alive stoney, he'll make the time"

I never forgot that.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Great stories fellas! Glad I asked now.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s good stuff right there hanco...Congrats! 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Can't pick just one but there were many hunts for scaled quail and bobs in Kansas and Colorado that were memorable. On one I found a 1st Colorado Cavalry troopers name carved in a sandstone wall at the same place we were camped.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.