Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
...but not forgotten.

Some time back a friend passed on and his wife was left to dispose of his stuff, a rather substantial pile of it, truth be known. Included was a pile of guns and shooting accoutrements that only a loony would possess such as an original 1873 Springfield Trapdoor. And stuff piled upon stuff. So much so that aside from the stuff in the house several firearms were located in the barn, buried amidst another pile of reloading stuff. Helping her sort it all out was a melancholy experience to say the least.

I took a small bit of it off her hands and others in this loony town scarfed up the rest, pronto. Good end I'd say. So, not to turn this into a long winded exercise of trivia, I had occasion yesterday to run some brass thru the cleaner, and that included a box picked up in the course of affairs. The question that comes to mind is this: How old does brass have to be before it's no longer useful? For the youngsters among us, note the price on the box in the upper right quadrant. Back before price labels were invented? I dunno...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Another oddity came to light in the course of case prep was that two Lyman manuals listed different trim-to-length dimensions, and they were not "slightly" different. Nope, they varied by .043".

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Soo..... do you have something to use these in??????
Patiently waiting for the Rest of the Story.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
As a matter of fact, yes indeed.

Best I can do offhand at 100. So far.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Right decent "string measure".

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have an Winchester 94 in 38-55 and some old brass.The only thing I have ever run across about brass being too old was on a 38-40 that I had some ballon head cases .

As the the 38-55 there are two case lengths. 2.082 and 2.125. The shorter for the older lever guns and the longer for the single shot types,and newer chamberings.Some being the old Ballard rifles.I have some old commercial ammo in3 8-55 ,but not the original boxes sit came in. All of it 1/2 jacket flat nose soft point.Some Winchester,some Remington. At present I don't recall which it was but some of it was 2.082 and some was 2.125 long. Graff & Sons list the two lengths in their catalog.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/25/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Right decent "string measure".

Thanks. Would have been better if that dang rattlebug hadn't started gnawing on my ankle for shot #8. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Soo..... do you have something to use these in??????
Patiently waiting for the Rest of the Story.

crazySilly question. Forget who he is?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Mornin' Dan,

Always enjoy your posts. I have some .30 Army aka .30-40 Krag brass that my father purchased around 1962 for my first "real" rifle, a Bannerman Krag. Old Winchester 220 grain "full patch" from the 1920s' or so. Little over 50 rds remain of the original 100 that I still use with cast bullets. I'm getting some small cracks at the shoulders and will probably retire these due to the sentimental value. I have some other odds and sods of .30 Army brass, Rem-UMC, in like condition that will also be retired.

When I got out of the Army in 71' I had Dan King install a new Douglas barrel, Lyman banded ramp front with Redfield Sourdough post, and a Lyman 48 receiver sight. I found a cut down Krag stock to replace the Bannerman-ized 03' stock. The old gal still makes meat.

AJ

187th AHC Tay Ninh RVN 1970-71

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's a absolutely beautiful rifle you have there, DD. Stunning.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had some .250-3000 ammo of similar vintage that I shot in my 99RS. Stopped shooting that ammo when one case blew a hole in the side just above the base. Brass over time develops embrittlement, usually this manifests itself as neck splits or shoulder splits but not always as in my case.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SS336

Thank you sir. I had to take a step back first time I laid eyes on it myself.

FWIW, it was purchased from the fellow that did the build and it remains in as new condition. He shot reduced charge smokeless exclusively. The target posted above was shot with Swiss 1.5FG and a Mos 300 grain greaser w/o use of the breech seater.

I am..........disturbed.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wow,great rifle.Congrats on your find.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
As a matter of fact, yes indeed.

Best I can do offhand at 100. So far.

I knew it. But is the optic on that Mil's or MOA?????
And By the Way, what is that tool looking thing in the middle of the photo spread? I bet there is more to the "Rest of the Story......."

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SS336

Yes it is!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Scope is a Lyman Targetspot, 8x if I recall correctly. Old school with a clear image still works. Item you refer to (I think) is a breech seater. I haven't fooled with that so far.....one of these days ....maybe.

I am..........disturbed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I shot some Winchester Lubaloy 7x57 ammunition a couple years ago that was the same era as the stuff in your picture. It was the only very old rifle ammo I've ever had a problem with. Case splits on the side, above the head as previously mentioned. In my situation the powder in the cases had deteriorated, becoming acidic and corrosive. I'd suggest pulling a couple bullets and checking inside. If case inside and bullet base is not green, you should have safe ammo.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I concur with your thoughts. Actually started with a box and a half and junked 10 right off the bat due to corrosion. All cases save one had been fired, so I pulled the bullet and popped the primer out. I was surprised by how well they cleaned up. All but a couple have primer pockets as clean and shiny as new brass.

With any luck they'll last another 50 years.

I am..........disturbed.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Dang! Congratulations on that cool rifle! You surely don’t see one like that very often.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AJVrbanic

Mornin' Dan,

Always enjoy your posts. I have some .30 Army aka .30-40 Krag brass that my father purchased around 1962 for my first "real" rifle, a Bannerman Krag. Old Winchester 220 grain "full patch" from the 1920s' or so. Little over 50 rds remain of the original 100 that I still use with cast bullets. I'm getting some small cracks at the shoulders and will probably retire these due to the sentimental value. I have some other odds and sods of .30 Army brass, Rem-UMC, in like condition that will also be retired.

When I got out of the Army in 71' I had Dan King install a new Douglas barrel, Lyman banded ramp front with Redfield Sourdough post, and a Lyman 48 receiver sight. I found a cut down Krag stock to replace the Bannerman-ized 03' stock. The old gal still makes meat.

AJ

187th AHC Tay Ninh RVN 1970-71

AJ,

be nice to see a picture of your rifle, sounds like a lot of history

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As too your question on usefullness of "old" brass, I`ve used 06 stuff that was seated in "39". I annealed it first, but no problems with it.
Sure wasn`t the best quality tho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (10Glocks, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.