-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most newer phones have pretty good cameras but only to a point. Because of the thin case, they can't do a decent zoom. They rely on digital zoom which is a very poor 2d to a decent optical zoom. They're mainly good for snap shots and posting on social media. Enlargements fuzz out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

G
gregb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks for the advise about cameras. That is something I have not paid attention to over the last decade or so. I did already know that digital zoom is basically a joke though. I'll look around. I understand that cell phone cameras are getting better, but as long as I am working here, I will only buy cheap phones. Cheap phones still have cheap cameras.

As I said above, I have a day pack that I will be taking, but I was also thinking about picking up a HPG kit bag to carry binoculars, a camera and rangefinder so they will be ready quick when I need them. I have an 8 x 42 roof prism type binocular that I will be taking with me. Those of you who have used them, which of the kit bags is the right size to hold that stuff?

Again, thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a trick with a point & shoot camera - use it like a spotting scope. Do you see a deer on the far hillside but just can't make out the size of the antlers? Zoom the camera in to it's max, rest it on something to get as steady as possible and take the shot. Switch it to play back your photos and enlarge it on the screen. You'll be able to pull it in real close. The quality of the photo will be crap but you can see enough detail to know what's what.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by FSJeeper

The earlier comment about a Controlled Round Feed rifle was for fun to stir up the push feed boys. In the mountains on wilderness hunts, I do feel the CRF bolt action rifle is the most reliable choice.

Looks like it worked. smile I'm with Smoke on this one. I hunt with a few CRF rifles and a few PFs. I'd take the fieldcraft over any model 70 I've ever met. Any mouser too.

So, now that this thread has achieved full derailment... OP, be sure to check in and post some pics of the training and the hunt. Sounds awesome.

It does sound awesome! And I have a Fieldcraft on GB smile I've never lugged a CRF rifle on a mountain hunt. Or any other hunt. Physical fitness and the quality of your optics are the limiting factors in this kind of hunting, in my experience.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 31 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.