-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speculation on my part, but wondering if Bryant decided they were going, fog or no fog? Because it was "his call" and his money.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Hover in fog? I don't think so. Unless there's an autopilot hover mode coupled to a GPS, you have to be able to see the ground to hover.

If my helo knowledge is out of date, somebody please correct me.

I understand most IFR rated Helos have autopilots that can hover. Another pilot board was saying that it's very common to have commercial helo pilots with IFR ratings but they don't maintain the currency in the rating and the outcome often looks like this and the mishap in NYC last year but I'm not a helo guy.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many pilots here die because someone "has to" go somewhere. It is commonly referred to as "dying to get somewhere." I have lost friends because of it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The live leak video showed the bird spinning before impact - that is because the tail rotor is missing. What few pictures there were, the tail rotor mast was separated from the main wreckage by quite some distance, which indicates that it separated from the helicopter in flight.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Non pilot, but the second I heard about it being a helicopter crash I wondered about fog. Made me think o the Stevie Ray Vaughn crash leaving Alpine Valley in a copter after a concert in the fog.

Also have to wonder if the pilot knew better but because there were so many people and kids present for a helicopter ride that he went against his better judgement and took off anyway.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deltakid
The live leak video showed the bird spinning before impact - that is because the tail rotor is missing. What few pictures there were, the tail rotor mast was separated from the main wreckage by quite some distance, which indicates that it separated from the helicopter in flight.

Can you post a link to the live leak?

Pretty foggy, someone actually has video, good enough to discern a missing tail rotor?

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The tail rotor separated from the fuselage in flight? What in the world? How can that happen? Did they hit a power line or a tree to cause that?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

I don't like it when other people drive. Imagine how I feel about trusting my life to a complete stranger in an aircraft.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by slumlord

Can you post a link to the live leak?

Pretty foggy, someone actually has video, good enough to discern a missing tail rotor?

I already posted it. Turns out it was a vid of a crash in the Middle East that someone deliberately mislabeled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like the best way to fly in fog is SFOG (stay feet on the ground).

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
The tail rotor separated from the fuselage in flight? What in the world? How can that happen? Did they hit a power line or a tree to cause that?

Most likely story - but they'll figure it out.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Waiting on the video

The pilot cant see chit because of fog, but people on the ground can see his missing tail rotor. Interesting development.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Didnt the Deep State's MSM tell us a week ago Mr Peanuts death would be the focus of the Super Bowl halftime show? Hummm. whistle

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/27/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will never fly in a chopper again, ever.
Fighting forest fires up here in the mountains I have been on some terrifying rides including one time landing in the dark, that was the last time. My friend a heli logger pilot used to laugh at me when I would relate my fear of flying in a chopper, then something mechanical happened to his chopper and now he is dead too.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I do not have a link to the liveleak, if it was mislabeled, my apologies. It still does not account for the tail rotor mast to be separated from the main wreckage. That was the biggest thing that caught my attention and several things can account for that - metal fatigue, wire strike, and even a main rotor blade separation. I lost an HH-53 and 7 crewmembers when a main blade separated from the rotor and the tail boom was torn off by the ensuing vibration (in building the time line, we figured that the tail separated about 15 seconds after the main rotor separated). The only thing is that the NTSB will be on it and will figure it out. That is the only way we will know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only thing is that the NTSB will be on it and will figure it out. That is the only way we will know.

Yep and with the boom separated from the main body if it was a wire strike or other impact it will be very obvious on the pieces.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That video has been labeled as false footage by other internet resources. That parts of the chopper were largely separated from the main crash site does not in and of itself mean they separated in flight.

For what it's worth, CFIT is not an instantaneous departure from life. Clouds and fog are one and the same, the crew will see terrain before they impact, and react to it. Passengers may or may not see what is happening, but they will be aware of the pilot's attempt at corrective action and experience initial impact and likely the resulting gyrations. Not saying it isn't quick, but they are aware of their looming departure.

How would I know? Because I've background in aircraft accident investigations and with specificity, this type of accident. Got to pick thru the pieces of the puzzle for one of my roommates in '71 among others. Their flight path prior to final impact was typical and reflects that a) they saw the mountain at the last moment and b) tried to climb without success. The impact trail thru the trees reflected about 100' of climb before the main rotor was demolished and led to a smoking hole in the mountain side.

Question was asked earlier as to why the pilot didn't hover for a bit rather than continue flying? Fair question on one part, but in general terms hovering out of ground effect (close to ground) is not a brilliant strategy for choppers. OTOH, flying at greatly reduced speed, say 20-25 knots is viable and an approach we used in the mountains of Nam many times....successfully. Tree top to tree top in the fog works. It works better here in the USA because nobody it likely to be shooting at you while doing such silly things.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I do not have a link to the liveleak, if it was mislabeled, my apologies. It still does not account for the tail rotor mast to be separated from the main wreckage. That was the biggest thing that caught my attention and several things can account for that - metal fatigue, wire strike, and even a main rotor blade separation. I lost an HH-53 and 7 crewmembers when a main blade separated from the rotor and the tail boom was torn off by the ensuing vibration (in building the time line, we figured that the tail separated about 15 seconds after the main rotor separated). The only thing is that the NTSB will be on it and will figure it out. That is the only way we will know.

I was under the impression that the pilot was flying by sight in zero viz conditions and flew into a mountain at 185 mph.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i've seen some vid footage that was probably not legit.

CFIT may be the final description, but I doubt the copter was going 185 mph at the time. Apparently, there is a CVR, but no FDR.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by jorgeI
apparently that helo was rated for 0/0 height/vis and I assume the pilot had a "Special Instrument Card" allowing him to take off in 0/0. Other than extreme operational requirements (as in we are in a war and men are dying so you need to launch), there is absolutely ZERO NEED to take off in those conditions.

Apparently the LA County Sheriff’s helicopters were all grounded at the time of the crash because of weather conditions.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 65 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,544
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.