Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#14510544 01/27/20
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone get theirs yet? I'm wondering about the birth certificate thing as I have a certified legal birth certificate but it was a laminated version they sent me and it says "laminated" birth certificates are not acceptable on the DMV website.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Anyone get theirs yet? I'm wondering about the birth certificate thing as I have a certified legal birth certificate but it was a laminated version they sent me and it says "laminated" birth certificates are not acceptable on the DMV website.

do you have a US passport ? I was told I can use that.

How is that going to work for illegals?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Believe it or not, I don't have a passport..........yet.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got the Global Entry catd last year and it is as good, but does a lot more when flying.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I got the Global Entry catd last year and it is as good, but does a lot more when flying.
Same status as the Real ID card? How long is it good for?

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Same status as the Real ID card? How long is it good for?

IIRC correctly it is good for 10 years. It is as good as real id...

TSA Pre-check when you fly and coming back through US Customs with it is amazingly fast. I have used it five times coming back into the country and without exaggerating it has saved hours of waiting in line.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll have to look into it, thanks for the heads up.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Through some miracle of miracles, I was able to get a Real ID and renew my passport in less than an hour one day this past summer. AK DMV has a good checklist posted about Real ID requirements.

https://online.dmv.alaska.gov/RealIDChecklist/Home/Checklist#/

If you are going to be dumb - you've got to be tuff.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had no problem getting the new one

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alaska DMV wouldn't let me use a laminated Social Security card when I tried to get the Real ID license there. After I retired and moved to New Mexico I tried again..... and they didn't care.....said the laminated card was fine.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Got mine today. Having a current passport made it a lot less painful.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

They would not accept my laminated SS card. Lucky I had the other original in a safe in TX and got it mailed to me. They accepted that one. All in all it was kind of a major PITA for me. But in TX they just gave it to my wife.... no form of anything needed, just upgraded her DL..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't know where they are coming up with this laminated card as not being a legal document, you would think they would accept it since it's laminated and cannot be altered. Leave it to Alaska to make things difficult for something so simple.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know where they are coming up with this laminated card as not being a legal document, you would think they would accept it since it's laminated and cannot be altered. Leave it to Alaska to make things difficult for something so simple.

Maybe because the SSA says don't laminate it. I don't know if that invalidates them though.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Of course years ago you had to carry your SS card as ID even though it was NOT supposed to be used as that. Go figure.

How long can you carry a SS piece of heavy paper in a wallet without falling apart.

We had no way to laminate back then in the country, so I layered clear tape around it.

Seems damn near anything .gov these days is beyond stupid.

Don't even start me that its easier for US citizen to enter Canada than it is a US to enter back into the US. US always thinks we are guilty of something and then never a welcome back...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Maybe because the SSA says don't laminate it. I don't know if that invalidates them though.
I'm not talking about the SS card, i'm talking about our birth certificates, you don't even have to show them your SS card.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I guess SS was since I was changing legal residence or either it was one of the options, but I had Carolyn send me a certified copy of my birth cert too.

Long as you got it done thats all that matters.

But it PISSES me off its GIVEN to some automatically on license renewal but others have to jump hoops.

Carolyn had a few hoops in TX. She wouldn't get it auto due to her renewal date. Her BIL and Sister got theirs auto. IF she did it online we had to send in documents. But if we mailed them a check on a different form, we just had to wait and send in check and no documents.

Once again .gov being ignorant if not plumb stupid.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

468 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,216
Posts18,447,378
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.