Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Amish people are exercising their religious freedom to live a simple life without any technology. And most state and local governments tend to leave them alone.

But for some reason, a Michigan county decided to pick a fight with the local Amish community.

County officials posted notices on several Amish houses that their homes were unfit for human occupation because they did not have modern plumbing.

The county says unless they are brought up to code, the houses will be demolished.

https://is-tracking-link-api-prod.appspot.com/api/v1/click/4920097182580736/6532213403287552

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Typical government not wanting anyone off the grid.

You can lead a horse...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, some folks don't want to live in neighborhoods where a fella can paint his fence purple either.

Or keep a 1980's K car on the lawn.

So what's wrong with wanting the neighbors to crap indoors instead of heading out to the little building at all hours of the day and night, and folks having to know when and what they're up to.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish those of you who do not live around the Amish and Mennonites had to. You simply have no idea. While I respect, and admire them, in many ways, the fact is that they want to be able to move into a neighborhood and live as they choose, and make those of us who have been living there all along compromise our way of living in order to accommodate theirs.

If you have ever had to drive on a highway covered in horse chit on a hot summer day, and have it all over your car, you just might change your mind about them.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll think after much trouble, the Amish will prevail.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Screw the michigan government

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll add this...........they want to claim freedom of religion on things like not putting lights and slow moving vehicle signs on their horse drawn buggies, which pose a danger to cars on the highway. Also, you and I have to buckle our seatbelts and make our children ride in car seats......they don't, on grounds of religious objections.

They use religion as way to get around doing things that would cost them money to be in compliance with the laws that we all have to live under, yet they don't see a problem with spending money on things that benefit them, and them alone.

They are nothing but a damn cult.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I wish those of you who do not live around the Amish and Mennonites had to. You simply have no idea. While I respect, and admire them, in many ways, the fact is that they want to be able to move into a neighborhood and live as they choose, and make those of us who have been living there all along compromise our way of living in order to accommodate theirs.

If you have ever had to drive on a highway covered in horse chit on a hot summer day, and have it all over your car, you just might change your mind about them.

Truth!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Lots of incest in those communities, from what I understand.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You gotta admit that Amish Mafia was a pretty sweet show though.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fuggers around here get carte blanch, don’t have to buy license plates, business licenses, workman’s comp insurance. Run the roads buck wild in pimped-out tinted window cab tractors running highway speeds.

When they’re not running highway speeds to Golden Corral, they doing 05mph during rush hour hauling 20 tons of saw dust for their multi million dollar tobacco operations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

You gotta admit that Amish Mafia was a pretty sweet show though.

I asked a local Amish that I know real well about that, and he claimed ignorance. I really think he didn't want to have to admit he'd seen it on TV.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

James,

are you a proponent of private property rights? Or more .Gov oversight?

I live in an open range county, cow crap on the highway is not uncommon, either from ranchers moving their cattle or from that which spills from the trucks going by all year moving cows on and off the grazing lands. A bit of poo on the car doesn't bother much.

We have Mennonites here, just a different flavor than yours back there. Ours use cars and pickups.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It goes beyond private property rights. Far beyond them. This is not 1820, when the only mode of transportation was by horse, and the roads were dirt, and the horse chit could be tromped into that. Horse chit on a paved road stays there until a rain washes it off. I and others paid for that road through the taxes we pay...................that Amish or Mennonite in that horse and buggy does not pay anywhere close to the taxes that I pay.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not a fan of the Amish, but less of a fan of county government.

Sam......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have had a fair number of Mennonites move to western South Dakota and they, for the most part, are hard working people who drive the same cars and trucks we do. The are mostly self employed and one of them runs a tractor business I use. This group is from Michigan.

We have Amish about forty miles west of here and I know little about them except that they are not the best smelling folks I have ever been around. The do some work on a barter business. My neighbor had them roof his house and traded them baled hay for it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It goes beyond private property rights. Far beyond them. This is not 1820, when the only mode of transportation was by horse, and the roads were dirt, and the horse chit could be tromped into that. Horse chit on a paved road stays there until a rain washes it off. I and others paid for that road through the taxes we pay...................that Amish or Mennonite in that horse and buggy does not pay anywhere close to the taxes that I pay.

Do you, or any other modern farmers there, move a tractor from one field to another on the paved roads?

Do y'all wash the muddy tires off before you bring it out of the field and onto the paved road others have paid taxes for? Some folks might not like the stuff that's in that mud on their roadways, getting onto their cars/trucks, into their yards/driveways where their children and dogs play. Them chemical spray rigs "never" leak either, right? You know that mud stays on the paved road until it rains too. Then it runs off into the commonly owned waterways.

Go ahead, worry about some road apples if you must, you paid for that road.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

So, pretty much just like Yuppie Scum moving in next to my farm.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Do you, or any other modern farmers there, move a tractor from one field to another on the paved roads?

Do y'all wash the muddy tires off before you bring it out of the field and onto the paved road others have paid taxes for? Some folks might not like the stuff that's in that mud on their roadways, getting onto their cars/trucks, into their yards/driveways where their children and dogs play. Them chemical spray rigs "never" leak either, right? You know that mud stays on the paved road until it rains too. Then it runs off into the commonly owned waterways.

Go ahead, worry about some road apples if you must, you paid for that road.

Geno

If caught, and some have been, a farmer that allows chemicals to leak out on a road, or has an oil or diesel spill on a road, can be fined.

We had an Amish farmer here who was caught pumping hog manure from his hog houses, into a river that was used a water source for a city downstream. He was fined, and the Amish lovers had a fit, thinking he was being picked on.

What you're trying to do is to compare life where you live to what it's like in other places, and that ain't gonna work.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll think after much trouble, the Amish will prevail.

Unless their lawyers cost too much...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 3,081 guests, and 1,444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.