Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
You can’t force someone to pay for a Fence they don’t want...

IF the fence is on the property line and both agree to it... then sure you should both pay for it - just good neighbors and I’ve been there.
I’ve also been where the other person doesn’t have means to pay, or doesn’t want to have a fence at all.... (I had dogs, they like open views)...

SO. ... What if the other guy doesn’t want a fence At all ?

Guess what - it has to be on your property (inside the line) and you have to pay for it ...

People assume it’s a law... Go find a law that says you can force someone to pay for a fence you put up and they don’t need or want...

LOL... we had a professor from california who didn’t want to pay capital gains by a 3 acre farm house plot and immediately he put in a IRON FENCE with stone pillars around his 3 acre farm house he just bought... Do you think he asked the neighbors to pay for half of the fence... BWHAHAHAHA. You guys are funny (ie. Who picks how much that fence you are making the neighbor pay for can cost?)

Might not be law where you live, but.......

Louisiana Law......

Art. 685. Common fences.

A fence on a boundary is presumed to be common unless there is proof to the contrary.

When adjoining lands are enclosed, a landowner may compel his neighbors to contribute to the expense of making and repairing common fences by which the respective lands are separated.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
It takes a few years to go by the lawbook, and get a fence repaired here. If the trustees rule the fence needs work, or rebuilding, after some time, they hire it done, bill the land owner, if the bill is not paid, the county lawyer has the auditor add it to the tax bill. If that goes unpaid, the land goes up on a tax sale.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It takes a few years to go by the lawbook, and get a fence repaired here. If the trustees rule the fence needs work, or rebuilding, after some time, they hire it done, bill the land owner, if the bill is not paid, the county lawyer has the auditor add it to the tax bill. If that goes unpaid, the land goes up on a tax sale.

That sure is a sorry state. I'd hate to have to a relationship with a neighbor that came to that.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good fences make for good neighbors........I don't care where you live.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Not many of my neighbors are worth even bothering with.

I just build new fence on MY side of the property line making them "good neighbors"... grin

I'm fixing to make 5 more neighbors, "good neighbors" by putting up a net wire deer proof fence. smile

They are 5 acre tracts. Between 3 of them they killed over 15 deer on their 5 acre tracts this season.

Had to get the game wardens out about 6 weeks ago because I found one illegal buck gutshot on my side of the fence, 30 yards from a feeder I found 5 feet from the boundary line, and guess what was in line behind where he was shooting?.... My house!

Idiot! blush mad

After the game wardens made him move the feeder, he called me and said he was sorry, he thought the feeder was just in line with my barn... whistle

I'm just gonna high fence them out. See how many deer they raise on their huge "5 acre ranch" after that. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Not many of my neighbors are worth even bothering with.

I just build new fence on MY side of the property line making them "good neighbors"... grin

I'm fixing to make 5 more neighbors, "good neighbors" by putting up a net wire deer proof fence. smile

They are 5 acre tracts. Between 3 of them they killed over 15 deer on their 5 acre tracts this season.

Had to get the game wardens out about 6 weeks ago because I found one illegal buck gutshot on my side of the fence, 30 yards from a feeder I found 5 feet from the boundary line, and guess what was in line behind where he was shooting?.... My house!

Idiot! blush mad

After the game wardens made him move the feeder, he called me and said he was sorry, he thought the feeder was just in line with my barn... whistle

I'm just gonna high fence them out. See how many deer they raise on their huge "5 acre ranch" after that. wink

It's the same way here. I have 300 acres, all in one tract. I have a Mennonite neighbor a 2 acre lot, and guess where he hunts........on the fence line.

I have another neighbor, White trash, who has 10 acres, and all his stands are within spitting distance of the line. I'd get a call every year......we shot a deer on our side, and it went over on you, can we go get it. I finally said 'NO"........either learn how to kill a deer without it running off, or quit hunting the property line. Haven't had a call since.

It's the same everywhere. I have often wished I could put a high fence up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is the crap I'm fencing out... mad

First, I had the white trash neighbors rattle my windows with a high powered rifle shot one evening. WTH? His $300 trailer house is 200 yards from my front door...

Then a couple days later I saw buzzards on a gutshot illegal deer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Upon looking at the deer, I found he'd placed a feeder 5' from the fenceline.

I got to looking, and saw where they had posted on facebook about shooting deer out of their living room window...

Directly behind that feeder about 100 yards is my HOUSE! mad

They are gonna squeal like a pig under a gate when I high fence them out.

But good fences make good neighbors... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't believe I'd like having to put up with chit like that. That idiot is really teaching his kid some good habits, and chances are the kid will grow up to be just like daddy.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Walk to the half way point. The fence on the right is yours.

If you have cattle.......your neighbors have to fence them out.

If you have sheep you have to fence them in.

If you are Jim F'ing Conrad you do all the fencing.

No one gives you any schit.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 01/26/20.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jim!

I didn't know we shared the same middle name! COOL!

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Middle name? That's the Only name some people call ME! laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
South Dakota has the walk to the middle, look across the fence, and you do the right side.

My neighbors and I get along well and there have been no problems but they are ranchers and I am a retired hobby farmer. We all have cattle.

Last edited by stantdm; 01/27/20.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think here in Nebraska it's the right hand rule...standing on your side....that's what I was always told anyway...
For the most part the guy that needs the fence and has the livestock usually builds it with the nehbor share the cost...
We have a fence in fence out rule...if the nehbor doesn't want to fix his fence he will not have a leg to stand on....if your cows get in his corn....most of us take responsibility for our cows if they damage crops.....our nehbor has a rented farm with poor fences and his cows get in my corn every year and he takes responsibility ...he only needed to pay damages a few times...if it's not too bad I let it go...

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Here in WI, Chapter 90, State Statites, covers fences. Sounds like many states represented here have similar statutes ; when a fence is needed to contain livestock, each LO is responsible to construct a mutually agreeable fence (minimums are defined in Ch 90). Each LO is responsible for the right half of the fence as each is facing their respective property line.
IF a LO refuses to cooperate, the other LO can petition the town board to construct the other guy's fence, which they will, then the twp will bill the obstinate LO when said fence is completed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, never gave this any thought, never really heard of the issue
other than the fights about where the fence had been built in relation to boundaries.

It always just seemed .like the person who wanted the fence( and usually the cows) built the fence. I know ranchers were the first settlers in many places,
And in the West they didn't fence. But I have a hard time getting past the
fact that "No cows, no problem", and whoever has cows, either has, or creates
the "problem. Making it their problem to fix.

Just can't imagine making a crop farmer pay to keep his neighbors
animals contained.

Geographic/cultural thing I guess.
Open range meets farmland.

Is it simply the fact that the cows were there first,
making the crops the problem?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If I'm reading it right, and I believe I am, it is the responsibility of any livestock owner to keep their stock fenced in........not the responsibility of the adjoining landowner to keep them out. If my cows get out, and get onto a neighbors property that is not fenced off, and do damage, I am not responsible............the first time, but I will be thereafter.

That way in Arkansas now, but it has not always been that way. Free Range went away mostly back in the late 1950's and early 1960's, but not everywhere at once. I guess by county, but not sure. I know of one place where cows were roaming free, and the State Highway had a cattle guard in it, until the late 1970's. People fenced out, and the proof is that they did and most still do put the wire on the outside of their property fence. They don't know why except that is how it was always done. smile They have no idea that a cow should push against the post and not the staple. Of course most build with steel posts now, but they still put the wire on the outside. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I was taught years ago to string the wire on the side the cattle are on, as they tend to push against a non electric fence. If there are cattle on both sides, then the ranchers/farmers should check their fences a bit more often.

Years ago when I needed to erect a new perimeter fence (line fence) with a new neighbor who wasn't aware of and didn't understand our common fence law, I offered to build his "half" and just charge him for the materials.
He agreed to this, he met his responsibility and I got a good fence that I didn't need to worry about.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Lesson's learned, Never build a fence on your property line, unless you have a current staked survey. we have 75 miles of 8'6" high fence on our property line, and 16 miles of low fence , for cattle, and about 5 miles of pipe and cable horse fence. good fences don't make good neighbors, they help control bad neighbors. Rio7

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
That is absolutely true RIO7, it's amazing how some line fences are "off" when a legal survey is done, and the impacted neighbor is always defiant. If there are any exceptions, I haven't seen any.
You guys have some serious fence !!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RIO7

Lesson's learned, Never build a fence on your property line, unless you have a current staked survey. we have 75 miles of 8'6" high fence on our property line, and 16 miles of low fence , for cattle, and about 5 miles of pipe and cable horse fence. good fences don't make good neighbors, they help control bad neighbors. Rio7

Absolutely correct.

I find the survey markers, and flag them up, and take the fencing crews and show them those survey markers, and tell them to build the fence just inside my property line. Do NOT build my neighbor a fence!

I want ownership of the fence without question.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
169 members (257robertsimp, 12344mag, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 14 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.