Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've struggled with this for some time. How do you all document reloading results? I've been writing load information on the target and taking photos. I have hundreds of such photos:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Unfortunately, I have no way to search for data. For example, can't remember if I tried 140 partitions in the Tikka 7mm-08. I'm also not writing down dates, temp, or wind. Figure I could look up historical data for temps based on the date I took the photo.

Anyhow, how are you folks tracking results? Please share any tips or tricks.

Last edited by dye7barrel; 01/26/20.
HR IC

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I start the same way you're doing, but transfer the data in a structured format to my computerized recipe book.

Makes it easy to search, slice and dice any which way by caliber, bullet, rifle, date, powder, etc. In anyway that makes sense to you.

The important part is dumping all the data into the collection basket. Figuring out which factoids are important to you can happen as you go.

I do the same thing with hunting results. Make the chicken scratches in a handy little notebook back at camp each night while still fresh in my feeble brain, then get them into the computer when I get back to the shack.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I used to keep everything in a 8 1/2x11 notebook. Different sections depending on the cartridge. Lost them all in a house fire and never got started again. Now just write all the data on masking tape attached to the box it's in.

Last edited by DonFischer; 01/26/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have developed a target with lines for all the pertinent data, after a range session the targets get three hole punched and put into caliber specific three ring binders. Organizing things that way I can see by reviewing the targets which loads were good and those not so good. If anyone would like to see one of these targets PM your e-mail address to me and I'll send a pic. I've also got a rubber stamp that I use to create labels for boxes/bags of reloaded ammo. There are lines for data like COAL, MV etc. makes it easy to duplicate loads.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I write my loads and results in a 3 ring binder, and of course it's in chronological order. In more recent years I've been cutting out the groups on the target and scotch taping them into the binder along with the load notes.

Needless to say, I have some groups that take up an entire sheet of notebook paper............... blush

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Another 3-ring binder dinosaur here. I have my own form that I print from a spreadsheet file.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use a combination of technology. Takes pictures of the target and calculate with rangebuddy app. Transfer pics, range info and results to computer in excel. Excel will also let you link so input a link to the picture of the target for that load. Takes a bit of time up front, but once you get the hang of it things go pretty quick. Excel will also let you search/reorder the data for whatever column or specific measurement you want. Just make sure to keep a backup cope in the event of electronic failure.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
https://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman-reloading-data-log

Since 2004 , take it to the range and log info. pronto , do as i say not as i do . smile yeah .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I keep a folder for each rifle. Keep all my load stuff in chronological order. I write down as much as possible, also take target pics and also keep the targets.

Salmonhead
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Another 3-ring binder dinosaur here. I have my own form that I print from a spreadsheet file.

Same here. I had to use a legal size sheet. I segregate with divider tabs per rifle. I can also input the data to my computer since the form is in an Excel format.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by lynntelk
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Same here. I had to use a legal size sheet. I segregate with divider tabs per rifle. I can also input the data to my computer since the form is in an Excel format.

+1.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I use a oilfield tally book, as a log book for each rifle. On the first page or two in the book I record all the comparator measurements of bullets I use, rifle info, any upgrades to the rifle etc.
For shooting sessions I open book so that I have two pages to record across; date, weather conditions, load information,( powder& powder charge bullet & bullet weight, brass, & brass oal, # of firings for the brass), comparator measurement, across the header. I usually shoot 5 shot strings, so I list the shots down the left side of the left page and record poi vs poa, fps, for each shot in the string and anything I feel needs to be included across the open two pages , some times I draw a small replica of target in the right margin and record numbered poi by shot, at the bottom of the numbered string I will make notes and record group size, and every page I can tally the round count for the barrel.

Hope all that makes sense.

Yes, I am OLD SKOOL, but I have been doing it this way for ever, and it works for me.

There is a war on America and America is losing
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am able to pack a lot of info into one page by graphing my results. I started off keeping targets, but quickly decided that would occupy too much space and be too hard search.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I write my loads and results in a 3 ring binder, and of course it's in chronological order. In more recent years I've been cutting out the groups on the target and scotch taping them into the binder along with the load notes.

Needless to say, I have some groups that take up an entire sheet of notebook paper............... blush

Pretty much my method as well.

I made a "Load Development" sheet in Excel where I can document the rifle, the bullet, brass (often noting # of firings), primer, date and temp. Below that I have multiple rows to document varying powder charges or changes in bullet jump. Columns in this lower section outline velocity, target distance, extreme spread and group size. I also keep the 8.5x11 targets 3 hole punched and include with this load development sheet for record keeping.

These are bundled in a large 3-ring binder that has tabs by rifle to keep it somewhat sorted. If I sell a rifle, I remove that section and stick it in another binder that stays on the shelf. I have twice had a rifle come back to me after selling. The first time I trashed my load data notes but wisened up. I was able to go straight back to my proven loads for the second returning rifle without missing a beat.

Edit: I recognize this is a stupid level of micro-minutiae for general hunting rifles but it lets my inner OCD geek do its thing while I enjoy my hobby.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started out using a spiral notebook that had load information in it, but didn't have the target group included. I included notes to indicate if it was an acceptable group, exceptional, etc. and any information concerning kills with that load.

I graduated to using index cards and cut the groups out and paste them on the card. Load recipe on the front, notes on the back.

I keep my stuff in a 3 ring binder as well. I use targets off of 6mmBR.com that I print on 8.5 X 11 paper and then punch holes in them. Take them to the range, shoot them, put them in the binder. All of the relevant load information and other specs are listed on the target. I also use the 24hourcampfire targets.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://imgur.com/gallery/S5JcKKU

Old school record keeping. Three ring notebook and targets. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by salmonhead
I keep a folder for each rifle. Keep all my load stuff in chronological order. I write down as much as possible, also take target pics and also keep the targets.

Me too

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You mean to tell me no one goes by memory. Lol.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 2500HD
You mean to tell me no one goes by memory. Lol.

I have, and end up relearning a bunch!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a spreadsheet. I use different tabs for different cartridges. I record the bullet, number of rounds, powder & charge, primer, brass, seating depth, date loaded, date fired and temperature, velocity average for each charge, extreme velocity spread, and group size. The beauty of it is that I can easily sort data to see what loads have turned in the best accuracy over long periods of time, since I've done it this way since about 2005. Example:

Code
Hornady 154-grain SP	     3	56.5 / H4831	Fed 210M	-0.030	01/06/08	01/15/08		1.70"
	                     3	57.0 / H4831	Fed 210M	-0.030	01/06/08	01/15/08		1.12"
	                     3	57.5 / H4831	Fed 210M	-0.030	01/06/08	01/15/08		.50"
	                     3	58.0 / H4831	Fed 210M	-0.030	01/06/08	01/15/08		.83
                             3	58.5 / H4831	Fed 210M	-0.030	01/06/08	01/15/08		1.75"

(I didn't record velocities when I tested this load.)

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,953 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.