Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking at different McMillan stocks for a new rifle and could use some assistance. I intend to get a new stainless featherweight Model 70 270 Winchester in a few months and stock it with a new McMillan. I have had several Remington McMillans but only a single Winchester pattern (my current featherweight stock) and would like something different. I was looking at the super grade, classic and compact; the featherweight pattern is my fall back. I like the super grade (looks very close to a Remington classic which I like) best for this rifle but am unsure of the width of the barrel channel with a featherweight barreled action. I also vaguely recall a discussion of a Winchester pattern to stay away from. What have you used on featherweights? Any insight is appreciated.

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I used a mcm hunters edge for my featherweight

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Hunter's Edge on a FTW 6.5x55 and wouldn't change a thing.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Another option is the Legend by D'Arcy Echols. Here's a link to his Legend rifle, but unless you want to spend MEGA bucks, just buy the stock. It's made by McM for D'Arcy but they can't sell it direct. It's a really nice shape and you can get it with Edge fill. Price is about what McM charges.

https://echolsrifles.com/pages/legend

Here's a 404J I built on a 300 RUM donor. Stock does have a nice shape. It should, D'Arcy designed. it. Handles well.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I was just about to and ask the same question. I’ve got a fwt classic barreled action that needs a stock.

I had planned on getting one of the featherweight stocks,
but see most seem to prefer the compact.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have 4 pre 64 M70 fwt's in the MCM compact edge and have been happy with them.

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The hunters edge is a definite possibility as well. Anyone have a picture of one and a compact as well? Absolute minimum weight is not my goal; I am good for my rifles to come in around 7.5-8#s. However, my current 308 featherweight in standard fill McMillan with Zeiss Conquest and DNZ (changed base) weighted in at 7#10.3oz and carries fine. I would imagine an edge stock would weigh close to 6 ounces less though.

Thanks men. Keep the opinions coming and hopefully some pics too!

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
While I like the Compact, the comb is a bit low. I’d see if you could try one first.

The Hunter is very different in the grip as well as the MC style buttstock.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
BTW, the Hunters Edge and the Compact are the same stock, bit different materials.

The Hunter is the one with montecarlo style butt. It is also available in edge construction.

McM names are a bit retarded.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I sold the Hunter on a rifle I traded for, bought a Hunters Edge thru Rick here at the Fire store.

Got almost as much for the Hunter as I paid for the Edge. I like the Hunters Edge a lot more than the Hunter.

And, yeah, McM names are confusing.

DF

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I would look at getting the J Earl Bridges stock in edge fill. You have to get him to order it to get McMillian to make it since he owns the mold.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I would look at getting the J Earl Bridges stock in edge fill. You have to get him to order it to get McMillian to make it since he owns the mold.

Is it on line, i.e. pictures.

I've heard about it, have never seen or handled one.

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like both, the Legend and Supergrade stocks. But not for featherweights. To me it’s too much stock in the forearm area. I have recently made arrangements to buy a fwt with a Bridges stock, and very much looking forward to handling it, as ive never handled one either.

Sorry I can’t help more. However, personally on a fwt tube, I’d look to other than a SG or Legend.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Dirtfarmer, PM me your cell#.

I have a few pics of the Bridges I can share.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Another option is the Legend by D'Arcy Echols. Here's a link to his Legend rifle, but unless you want to spend MEGA bucks, just buy the stock. It's made by McM for D'Arcy but they can't sell it direct. It's a really nice shape and you can get it with Edge fill. Price is about what McM charges.

Here's a 404J I built on a 300 RUM donor. Stock does have a nice shape. It should, D'Arcy designed. it. Handles well.

DF

That is a sweet rifle!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jkinpa
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

That is a sweet rifle!

Thanks.

For those who think the Hunter's Edge doesn't have high enough comb, they'll love the Legend. Reportedly D'Arcy made a compromise comb for irons and scope. To me, you really gotta get down on it to see the irons; IMO it's about perfect for scope.

The Hunters Edge comb is about right for me, but I'm not a stock crawler. I prefer a more head erect position with the scope mounted back a bit. I've about graduated from irons to full time optics on my rifles.

DF

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Has anyone here used one of the McMillan Sako classic stocks, on there Winchester?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by lone wolf
Has anyone here used one of the McMillan Sako classic stocks, on there Winchester?

They wouldn’t do one for me the last time I called. That is the pattern I use on all of my Tikkas though.

Semper Fi
Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Excellent info. I’ve got time so I’m taking it slow and weighing all info I can find. What I want is a featherweight stock with a little more forend, I reckon.

Originally Posted by jkinpa
I like both, the Legend and Supergrade stocks. But not for featherweights. To me it’s too much stock in the forearm area. I have recently made arrangements to buy a fwt with a Bridges stock, and very much looking forward to handling it, as ive never handled one either.

Sorry I can’t help more. However, personally on a fwt tube, I’d look to other than a SG or Legend.

This is really good info too. I’d like to see some pics of the Bridges stock as well. I don’t mind McM’s featherweight but would like a little more meat in the front as I said above. The compact looks good too but then I wonder about the comb. Anyone know how much more drop the compact has than the featherweight? Thanks for all the help.

Still pondering

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Would love to see a picture of a Hunters edge too...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,620
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.