Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Easy for me, it was my "hunt of a lifetime" in 2015. A backpack hunt for Dall Sheep in the Chugach mountains. Took 12 days from start to finish.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
May 2005 with my brother Brian and good friend/PH Don Heath on a PAC elephant hunt near Magunje, Zimbabwe. It was just a rough camp with Don's yard boy as a camp helper and a Zim game scout who never left camp. We pitched a simple camp and all contributed to camp chores. It was very much like a deer camp back home with buddies rather than your typical safari experience. Brian and I both killed elephant bulls. I took mine with one body shot using my Kreighoff 500/416 and the shot knocked the bull off his feet. I put two more in the chest just to make certain. Brian killed his at a remote water pumping station. The locals reported the bull was charging them and even goats who came to the pump. We walked in and as soon as the bull saw us he charged. Brian was using my Winchester M-70 in 375 H&H and dropped the bull with a head shot. The bull crashed and then started back on his feet and Brian emptied the rest of the magazine into his head to finish him. The next day was an impressive sight as about 150 locals showed up for the butchering and meat distribution. The process was peaceful and orderly while we were present. However, the moment we left all hell broke loose and natives were running in grabbing meat, stabbing, getting stabbed and generally going full on monkey wild.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I just got back from a Southwestern Arizona desert mule deer bowhunt. Came close, but no cigar this time. What a challenging hunt is some beautiful, rugged terrain! In my 60's and not as fast as I used to be, but I kept up and really enjoyed it all! Planning on going again.

Dean, did you post any story or pics in the Archery forum? What unit did you hunt? Glad you had a good time, and yes, at 60's age just about any part of AZ can get "challenging".

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool stories everyone, especially those with kids getting game.............even if that game is pigeons and gophers.

Beats the heck out of the politics threads.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For me, it was in 1983, a solo backpack trip in the northern part of our province for Stone's sheep.
I walked off the Alaska Highway with a topographic map, I backpacked 14 days and walked out to A.H. about 50 miles from where I began, I cached all my stuff and thumbed a ride to my truck.
I didn't see a soul and walked many sheep basins, saw piles of sheep and other game....missed a very nice old ram 39/ 40"( My guess) I saw many smaller, legal rams along the way. I have been back there since and plan on going again . The Northern Rockies are the last great adventure hunt in BC..I live in the southern Rockies, Bighorn country. Cheers.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My son's first deer. 2002, he was 11 years old. Rem 870 20 ga. Junior Model. Breneke 3" Silver Magnum.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Daughter 2013 with her first Caribou. Weatherby vanguard, 7-08, redfield 3-9x40, 120gr tsx, 296 yds if I remember right.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 79S; 01/27/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2016 right before I went to Korea. Winter moose hunt, model 70 xtr featherweight, 270 Winchester, 140gr hornady btsp, 200yds if I remember right. That was her 3rd moose she’s harvested. It was a balmy -10 the day she got it.

[Linked Image]

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been on a Caribou Hunt in Quebec and a Moose hunt in Newfoundland which were all great and lots of fun, but my favorite hunt would be one of my Canada Geese hunting trips in the early 2000s with my late friend Gary and my Labrador, Sam, in Ontario. We did that for several years and would often limit out, but it was more about spending time with dear friends and watching my Lab do his thing. Maybe a tie with hunting with my late Dad and late Uncle deer hunting in the Adirondacks. We weren't successful very often, but we had big fun in the big woods of Franklin County NY.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wagner
[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

That last pic needs to be posterized and hung on the wall! Love it! I can see she is another MAGA gal! grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In 2016 her and her momma were drawn for dc 485 permits. I took my daughter with me into unit 13 with some friends. We spotted a bull caribou that was a monster. Me, my two buds and daughter put an epic stalk on this bull caribou. We thought for sure he was going to follow this drainage right to us. Unfortunately he hooked left ranged at 500yds and disappeared into the black spruce. That was a big big caribou. My daughter was the only one with a caribou permit.. The excitement on her face as we hustled when that bull put his head down and rip up willow bushes. Was too damn cool. Soon as he put his head down we take off hoofing it. We closed, close 400 yds doing that just another 200yds that caribou be hanging on the wall.

Last edited by 79S; 01/27/20.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Man if there was a “Like” button feature I’d be clicking the heck out of it right now after everyone’s post! I’m enjoying them tremendously!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This wasn’t an enjoyable hunt at all. Broke the clutch, had to be pulled 30 miles down the little delta to the trucks. Ph uck it was cold, cold..

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Took my oldest daughter to the Yukon in 2010 for a fly-in moose hunt. Didn't get a moose, but .........

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Bucket list hunt
Plains game in S. Africa
Andrew Renton--Kai River Safaris, East London-- Crosshair Consulting
It was awesome

If I could post pictures----

Last edited by TBREW401; 01/27/20.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good thread.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
honestly when i was 6 yrs old went dove hunting with my father. we were sitting on the edge of a field near baffin bay, i had a daisy bb gun. i shot the head off a butterfly from about 10 ft..... never have forgot that.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by watch4bear
When I was a kid, Scale quail; just me and my pointer.

That's hard to beat.

My brother, Jules and I once limited out 2 days in a row on bobwhites and blues north of Ozona, Texas.

We did it again with my cousin on 2 days west of San Angelo on blues.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/27/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
hunting quail is one of my favorite things.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My daughter's first deer which I detailed in this post:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...irst-deer-my-best-hunt-ever#Post11652623

After that would probably be any of the deer she has killed since that day. She is 11 now and has killed 10 deer in 4 seasons and we've had a lot of fun together as she has grown in her understanding of deer and the outdoors.

As for my own hunts, it would definitely be my dove trip to Argentina followed by multiple turkey hunts over the years.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
335 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 36 invisible), 2,014 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.