Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
A couple of the flights we are looking at to go from Denver to Jobreg. go thru London, just wondering how did it go. We will be bringing rifles. Thanks for the help. Patrick

Retired Deputy Sheriff, 30 years gunsmithing and grip making, full time stag grip maker for 22 years.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Been thru London a few times but never with firearms. Primary reason is the direct flight we have there arrives in Gatwick and we have to change airports over to Heathrow to get to Namibia. Can't check firearms all the way. Have to claim them and hire a licensed transfer agent to take them to the other airport. Last time I checked, this was about $600 each way for two rifle cases and we had to travel separately and not with the courier service.

We could find alternate routes from the US to Heathrow to avoid the transfer courier but, by the time you add the extra stop/layover to get there and back and the BA firearm carriage fee we could find better alternatives. One guy I know goes to Namibia every couple of years and just rents/uses a loaner. Goes via London and does the transfer. Spends the day going from Gatwick over to Heathrow but has to hustle to make the connection home. Missed his flight one time because "the tubes" went on strike. Cost him a lot of extra coin to rebook because he missed his flight.

If you can book so you don't have to change airports in London, it might work for you. London used to be a fun stopover....has changed a lot in the last few years......and not for the better.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Why fool with London? Go from Denver to Atlanta and then non-stop on Delta to J'burg.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use KLM.

You require a transit permit, but it free and easy to fill out.

KLM has great service. I can get from Calgary to Johannesburg in 22hrs. Fastest trip I know of. 2hr layover in Amsterdam.

When I looked at London or Frankfurt, the layovers were much longer, like 8-10. Looked at one of the Gulf airlines. Supposed to be great service, but I don't see the point of wasting pretty much an extra day laying over in Dubai. Waste of my time and the cost of a hotel.

GRF is going to Namibia. He can go Calgary-Amsterdam-Windhoek on KLM.

I'll use KLM until a better alternative arrives.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Having flown with firearms via London and via Amsterdam I would strongly suggest avoiding London.

M3Taco has covered all the issues well.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks all, your imput is very helpful. Patrick

Retired Deputy Sheriff, 30 years gunsmithing and grip making, full time stag grip maker for 22 years.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Why fool with London? Go from Denver to Atlanta and then non-stop on Delta to J'burg.

The Delta ATL to JNB flight costs over twice what the gulf states airlines cost, at least for business class and almost as much difference for coach. ATL-Doha-JNB on Qatar airways takes about 26 hours outbound and 25 hours return. Wife and I flew this in November. 2 business tickets were $8600 versus 1 business ticket on Delta. Took approx 8 hours more but to save over $8000, I figured it was worth it. And you simply can’t compare Delta to either Qatar Airways or Emirates. Chalk and cheese....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Due to a$$holes in the airport we missed a flight from Minneapolis to Atlanta to Jo a couple years ago, ended up going through London.

At the gate I'm flagged as traveling with firearms and was asked if I had permits. Scared the crap out of me as NO I did not and explained the situation. Showed them my permits for Africa and the lady was very polite and assisted me in filling out the paper work and went on our way.

I've been through London a few times in normal travel and I'd rather deal with them any day than most of the people here stateside who don't give a crap about you or if you miss a flight, etc.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I flew Emirates, DFW, Dubai, JBurg last spring. Good experience, no problem with rifles. MUCH BETTER THAN DELTA/SAA which are incapable of loading luggage and passengers on the same flight.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Oh,, I forgot to mention, Emirates was glad for us to use their company unlike Delta Atlanta personnel who will occasionally deign to do you a favor and let you on their airplane. ATLANTA - MOST RACIST AIRPORT I'VE EVER BEEN IN!

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you have a lay over you will need an agent to receive the arms and ammunition. They both get a lead seal clamped on the cases. I forgot the agents name but it was very easy and then he met me when I disembarked. My booking agent arranged it for me and it went smoothly and was about $150 back then. Don't take the black cabs look for a common cab or shuttle. My cab fair was about $300 across London, I could have shared a cab for about $50 if I had known.

Read up on the regs. as it has probably changed since I was there.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Pancho1
ATLANTA - MOST RACIST AIRPORT I'VE EVER BEEN IN!
That's an understatement

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jdollar

The Delta ATL to JNB flight costs over twice what the gulf states airlines cost, at least for business class and almost as much difference for coach. ATL-Doha-JNB on Qatar airways takes about 26 hours outbound and 25 hours return. Wife and I flew this in November. 2 business tickets were $8600 versus 1 business ticket on Delta. Took approx 8 hours more but to save over $8000, I figured it was worth it. And you simply can’t compare Delta to either Qatar Airways or Emirates. Chalk and cheese....

Chaulk and cheese doesn't do the difference justice. I haven't flown on all the airlines, but Emirates is the best, by a long shot, that I've been on. No US carriers even come close to them.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not taken rifles through London...but I did have lunch today with John Sharp and we happened to discuss preferred travel routes to southern Africa, when toting rifles.

He said, absolutely avoid London with rifles. Don't do it.

I have heard the same thing many times, from others.

I try to listen to the voices of experience!

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
Originally Posted by Pancho1
ATLANTA - MOST RACIST AIRPORT I'VE EVER BEEN IN!
That's an understatement

Guys, you make me chuckle. Obviously a white dude from South Dakota and White dude from New Mexico just don't speak the local lingo. Funny how the only problem I ever had at Hartsfield/Jackson was with AIR FRANCE. This is my home base, I might add.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

I went through London way back in 1987 on my first Safari. I wasn't allowed off the plane, and either were my guns.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Regulations and situations change often. I would firmly suggest you book through a travel agent such as Steve Turner at Travel With Guns.

He can advise you of the current situation on permits, access to lounges, who to call when your luggage or guns don't make the flight, the best deals on tickets, cancellation and refund policies and a hundred other questions you'll have. All for a modest fee.

After about fifteen trips to africa, I can handle booking my own flights, but I still let Steve and Fred handle it.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
London is no problem with guns as long as you are using BA metal all the way or UA and SAA and arriving and departing the same airport (LHR). It's just expensive and other airlines have joined BA with the added expense. If traveling BA, just make sure that you keep the copy of your BA paperwork, as BA uses contract labor at JNB and you will need it if they can't find your gun the their system.

If you have to transfer between Heathrow and Gatwick forget it. And remember no inter-African flights on BA , it's really Comair and they don't carry guns. For those flights you need either SAA or Airlink.

Emirates is great and you fill out the gun paperwork on-line. Easy. The seats in Coach are the same as other carriers, but the FA are much better. Business is excellent, if you can get an A380 flight take it over a B777 if possible.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 01/28/20.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Can anyone tell me exactly what permit is needed in London, just a 7 hr layover in London on the way to SA with firearms, flying American Airlines and if so who the hell do I apply for this permit thru. Thank you Patrick

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sorry bud it was 11 years ago, and I can’t recall.

I used a customs broker because we changed airports.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 73 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.