Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The government needs to leave them alone and stay out of it, but I could care less if I ever saw another one.
We've had an amish community a couple of counties away from us for several generations but they've worked all over the southern part of the state. Some do great work, others not so great. They have been there long enough that they have outgrown their communities and a lot of the locals won't sell the kids any land, especially farm ground, so they are moving out.
We are starting to get them in our county and this bunch is coming out of New York. They're selling farms for big money there and moving to areas where land is not nearly as expensive like here. My part of the state is not typical amish country. Way too many hills and rough ground, not the flat or gentle rolling ground like they typically inhabit.
I have been around them working on job sites and had other dealings with them. They love to act ignorant. That's one of their favorite tactics. They are hard on livestock and hard on women and there is no end to their creativity when it comes to screwing someone out of a dollar. You better be real careful if one is nice to you. They aren't who you think they are. The other day, my friend sent me a picture of an amish horse and buggy tied to a sign at the hospital. The sign said, "Veteran's Parking."
Oh yeah, that's one thing you won't find in an amish community......... a VFW.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Hey, if we're going to allow the amish to practice their religion I guess the muslims should be allowed the same freedom, right?

That's the trouble with freedom of religion. You might not like your neighbour's beliefs but he has the same right as you have to practice whatever he chooses.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Hey, if we're going to allow the amish to practice their religion I guess the muslims should be allowed the same freedom, right?

That's the trouble with freedom of religion. You might not like your neighbour's beliefs but he has the same right as you have to practice whatever he chooses.

There are limitations to what they practice...

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I'll add this...........they want to claim freedom of religion on things like not putting lights and slow moving vehicle signs on their horse drawn buggies, which pose a danger to cars on the highway. Also, you and I have to buckle our seatbelts and make our children ride in car seats......they don't, on grounds of religious objections.

They use religion as way to get around doing things that would cost them money to be in compliance with the laws that we all have to live under, yet they don't see a problem with spending money on things that benefit them, and them alone.

They are nothing but a damn cult.

Or try hunting around them. I had one of the asshats climb a tree 25 yds behind me this year in a fancy climbing tree stand He went high enough to be able to see over the top of my blind into the creek bottom I was watching. They also refuse to serve. I have no use at all for them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gingrich Murder
Wow, never heard that before! There are some seriously messed up people everywhere.

Tons of old order Amish and what we call “Black Car” Amish or Mennonite around here. They pretty much stay in their world and I stay in mine. Only gripe I’ve got is the ones on bicycles not sharing the phuqing road. Someday somebody in a car is gonna get killed over those dumb chits. The horse and buggy’s ain’t as bad as the bicycles!
I’ve often wondered how certain things are forbidden for them, but other types of technology are fine. At the farm show most of them have cell phones! Latest tractors are ok if they don’t have rubber tires! I’ve seen them hauling motorized push mowers in a horse pulled wagon.
Lotta things just don’t add up in my mind.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They’ll fish a pond out too.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Mennonites, They have a Mennonite school one mile from my house. It is a large Mennonite community in our town. They have large, well kept farms, nice homes, immaculate yards, and beautiful children. The ladies all wear little caps on their heads in public, dresses past their ankles, never a pair of slacks. The men and women all look you right in the eye, and speak pleasantly. Their kids are well educated, polite, respectful of their elders. And they never get in trouble with the law, or get on welfare.

They have a welding and fabrication shop near the school. They have done several jobs for me. Very fair prices, and top quality work.

What is not to like? I wish everybody in the nation would raise their kids a bit more like the Mennonites do.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

There are limitations to what they practice...

You should run for office.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
They call those piles on the road, horse exhaust.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Do away with all religous based tax and fee exemptions across the board.
Aint fugging right some of the schit religous groups dont have to pay or get taxed on or report income from.
Latadadi every fugging body.....
Every fugging one of em.
Christains, muslims, jews, rastafuggingfarians.

Boo fugging hoo....

See how religous the fuggwads are after a year or so of having to pay their fugging share of schit and answering up to unca suga every april 15 like the rest of us have too.

All convienant for em when it comes to the Benjamins.

Division of religon and state.
GMAFB....

all these fugging loopholes to get out of paying for schit is ridiculous and fugging came about 100,s of years ago passed by fuggs that been dead for ages.

Since when in anyones mind does freedom of religon translate into carte blanche get out of schit when it comes to money.

I'm catholic, I dont wanna pay taxes or fees anymore per my religous beliefs.
Amish can claim religon as a pretext for exemption, why cant I????

Someone please explain that to me....

Unreported income
Tax exemptions
Fee exemptions
Exemptions from laws
Ect ect ect

They live in this nation
Pay up like the fugging rest of us.

Fugg em...
Let em eat fisheads.....

Last edited by renegade50; 01/27/20.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Uh-- why don't they fight against the Muslimes??

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I haven't been around Amish very much but some Mennonites started moving in and settling here in my area a couple of decades back. There must be different sects of Mennonites because all of those here drive regular motor vehicles but always black or a very dark in color with very little if any chrome. The women and kids are extremely clean and well kempt looking. The kids are always polite and subdued and stay close to a parent out in public. They live in big but simple and well kept, no-frills 2 story frame white houses with full porches they built themselves. The Mennonite schools have modern h/vac units, too. The Mennonite store had full electric lighting, coolers, cash register, h/vac, etc.

As always.YMMV...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Truth is it’s not 1890 and society has changed, they too need to adopt living in the current society. We have em here and while nice enough people are a huge hazzzard on the road, no lights and go right down the middle at night. Then there’s the horse chit...

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The way you can tell if mennonites live somewhere, the house doesn’t have shutters.

Shutters are vain.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The fuggers will drag a disc right on the pavement down the highway, scoring up the pavement. They dgaf

Everyone is supposed to kiss their ass

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Edward Gingerich
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
Edward Gingerich (1966 – January 14, 2011) was an Amish man from Rockdale Township, Crawford County, Pennsylvania, who was convicted of manslaughter in the 1993 death of his wife, Katie.[1] He is the first Amish person to be convicted of homicide.[2]

He was said to have been somewhat of a rebel to the Amish way of life from an early age, and many of the others in their community were apprehensive of the marriage between Ed and Katie. He spent a lot of time in the wood shop, becoming increasingly interested in the limited machinery the Amish allowed themselves to operate as well as interacting with non-Amish people (known as the English, regardless of ethnicity). The belief was that an unwaveringly faithful woman would be a good influence on the troubled young man and so the marriage went ahead.

After the wedding and the birth of a son, Gingerich became increasingly depressed. Through the wood shop he worked in, he befriended a non-Amish man called Dave Lindsey who told him that unless he renounced his Amish faith and became a born-again Christian like Lindsey, he would go to Hell.

Gingerich's mental state continued to deteriorate and eventually he began hallucinating and had a psychotic break that scared his Amish community to the point of contacting 911 for help. Gingerich was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and was given medication to ease his symptoms. His medication eased Gingerich's hallucinations but put him in a "zombie" state that he disliked and eventually he stopped taking his doses. His state of mind continued to deteriorate. Lindsey, among other evangelists who visited Gingerich at the wood shop, lectured him about renouncing his faith and led him to believe that he was being confined and almost held captive by his wife, Katie. There are reports that he began to associate her with the devil.

On March 18, 1993, Gingerich entered his home's kitchen where Katie was working, and punched her in the face, knocking her to the ground. Katie yelled for her 6-year-old son, who was in the room at the time, to run and get help. The young boy ran over a mile to his uncle's home, but by the time the man arrived at the scene of the crime, Katie was long dead. Seeing his brother standing beside her gruesome body, covered in blood, the man feared for his own life and fled to the house of a nearby English family where he called 911.

When assistant fire chief and EMTs Andy McLaughlin arrived on the scene, the scene was horrific. Gingerich had beaten Katie to death, taken the time to put on heavy, high top boots, and stomped on Katie's skull until she was left unrecognizable. Not only that, Gingerich had removed all her internal organs and piled them beside her body.[3] In recordings of Gingerich's police interrogation, he can be heard saying that "For some reason, I think we could still save her".[4]

After his trial, Gingerich was found "guilty of involuntary manslaughter but mentally ill". He was sentenced to a minimum term of two and one-half years and a maximum of five years with credit for time served since his May 19, 1993, incarceration. Hence, Ed would be eligible for parole by late 1995. Gingerich was denied his first bid for parole in December 1995. However, on March 19, 1998, at the age of 34, and having served his full sentence, he was released from the State Correctional Institution in Mercer, Pennsylvania.[5]

Gingerich was found hanged in a barn in Cambridge Springs, Pennsylvania, where he had been living with his attorney. He wrote "Forgive me please" in the dust atop a bucket before committing suicide.[6][7]

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve never seen one in person. Sounds like they aren’t too popular with the people that live close to them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Amish are a pain in the balls to have around. Fuggers need to get with the program and buy cars instead of holding up traffic with those damned buggies. Most of us have shyt to do and places to be and we ain't got time to follow their damned horses for miles.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by Valsdad
It goes beyond private property rights. Far beyond them. This is not 1820, when the only mode of transportation was by horse, and the roads were dirt, and the horse chit could be tromped into that. Horse chit on a paved road stays there until a rain washes it off. I and others paid for that road through the taxes we pay...................that Amish or Mennonite in that horse and buggy does not pay anywhere close to the taxes that I pay.

Do you, or any other modern farmers there, move a tractor from one field to another on the paved roads?

Do y'all wash the muddy tires off before you bring it out of the field and onto the paved road others have paid taxes for? Some folks might not like the stuff that's in that mud on their roadways, getting onto their cars/trucks, into their yards/driveways where their children and dogs play. Them chemical spray rigs "never" leak either, right? You know that mud stays on the paved road until it rains too. Then it runs off into the commonly owned waterways.

Go ahead, worry about some road apples if you must, you paid for that road.

Geno

Good post Geno.

There's been a few things written over the span of man's time here on earth. One of them has something to do with glass houses.

And many of the people commenting here have, in all likelihood, never seen a real live Amish person, let alone lived amongst them.

And once again, you're wrong. I've lived near them, as a matter of fact, I live in Lenawee County MI.
My comment is that you're bitching about them, while being a road muddying, traffic flow stopping, government farm welfare loving farmer.
Not that there's anything wrong with it, just it's hypocritical for you to bitch.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I like the Amish and Mennonite communities.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 8 invisible), 1,574 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.