Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nathan13
Originally Posted by Hastings
How far exactly is the nearest Amish person to your home? I can guess by your blind love for them, but come on how far?
We have some Mennonites around but no horse and wagon Amish. I spent a couple of days riding Amtrac from Wisconsin to Oregon with a good size bunch of Amish going to Mexico for elective medical treatment (much cheaper). They were an interesting bunch and did not smell bad. They brought all their own food and didn't set foot in the dining car. The babies were fed on the tit under a cover of course. The small children were linen up in their seats in the morning and fed milk and oatmeal. There were farmers and furniture builders, and builders along on the trip. All the kids behaved, the ladies were quiet and modest, and the men friendly enough and would converse with me in English. Now the blacks that rode from Chicago to Minnesota, that was an ignorant acting bunch screaming at and threatening children the whole way.

So the short answer is that you live no where near them but happened to see a group on mass transit one time and you are now an expert on how they live.

I don't say that at all but I feel about them the same way I do about the much hated Vietnamese fishermen that took over a good bit of the shrimp fishing in my state and Texas. They like the Amish are different and I am very familiar with Vietnamese fishermen. They stick together and keep their nets repaired themselves, do most of their engine repair and in general cut costs any way they can by keeping money in their own community. When they catch a load they put Mama out on the road selling it. If they come in at night with fish on deck they sort with a headlight instead of running the main engine. They eat things they can't sell like stingray and silver eel. I fished for years down there in LA and TX on Florida boats and watched penny pinching Viets push Cajuns out of business. Those upcountry Amish don't pay fuel bills, city water, mechanics, or barn builders. The Viets cut everbody they can out of money and when they show up to buy a fixer-upper boat they bring cash. The cajuns could haves stayed away from alcohol and banks and fished hard and done as well.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
BP-B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Slumlord brought up seeing hudderite women with big ole suit cases
Up in montana going into canada on trains.

I told him i bet they was moving cash from one community to another in at least one of those suit cases.

What do you all think of their internal cash banking system that exist.
Are they held to federal regs on that like the rest of us are.

What about wealth transfers between relatives
Inheritance taxed????
Capital gains taxed???
Remember its all cash......
Their feet held to the fire on that schit like the rest of us.

Not when it is not known by unca suga it aint.

Whats the limit a parent can disburse/ gift to a child per the IRS in the regular world tax free..........

Amish and mennonites aint held to this schit cause unca suga dont know what they have....
All under the pretext of religous exemption schitt.

I get on a plane or whatever to go to or from the USA
Do i have over 10 k in cash on the customs form....

Religous exemptions in any religion in this country is fugging B.S.
Unreported income makes the rest of us TaxCheats when caught does it not.....

Pay like the rest of us have too......

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Gotta get me a nice slutty Amish girl....

I've known a few who go through several men-a-night.

Oops I better not crack anymore Amish jokes. Someone who saw a picture of one , one time and drove through one of their [bleep] tourist trap communities will be along to tell me how perfect they are, no thieves, crooks, molesters, drunks, whores, addicts, liars, or lazy ones. And They are basically perfect humans in every regard.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We have three different groups of Amish in our local area. Each group has different rules. Don't be thinking you know all about them just because you know a lot about a local group.

Their society resembles the "English" in our community in that there are some really fine people and there are some you don't want to be friends with.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Well said Renegade. They should have to pay like the rest of us. As I recall they are the Dutch Amish It makes me wonder why they left the homeland

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by renegade50
Slumlord brought up seeing hudderite women with big ole suit cases
Up in montana going into canada on trains.

I told him i bet they was moving cash from one community to another in at least one of those suit cases.

What do you all think of their internal cash banking system that exist.
Are they held to federal regs on that like the rest of us are.

What about wealth transfers between relatives
Inheritance taxed????
Capital gains taxed???
Remember its all cash......
Their feet held to the fire on that schit like the rest of us.

Not when it is not known by unca suga it aint.

Whats the limit a parent can disburse/ gift to a child per the IRS in the regular world tax free..........

Amish and mennonites aint held to this schit cause unca suga dont know what they have....
All under the pretext of religous exemption schitt.

I get on a plane or whatever to go to or from the USA
Do i have over 10 k in cash on the customs form....

Religous exemptions in any religion in this country is fugging B.S.
Unreported income makes the rest of us TaxCheats when caught does it not.....

Pay like the rest of us have too......

Another layer exists in the fact that they don't have social security numbers. ...think about it , it's like they perfected the illegal immigration scam even though they were born here. You basically can't penalise a someone who doesn't exist. what's an irs auditor gonna do? Show up and ask for John miller and demand the books? There are none, mostly cash. Which John miller? I dunno there's 28 of them in this township. Short of committing a super violent crime, they are untouchable. And that would probably be swept under the rug from within.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I live among many Amish and some Mennonites, know many and do business with them periodically. I also travel through many Amish and Mennonite communities in northern PA and the Finger Lakes region of upstate NY. Their farms and homesteads are generally the nicest, cleanest and well kept around, not using their yards for trash dumps like a good portion of the "English" around our area. Their animals are always well cared for. We always look forward to attending their auction in the spring to support their schoolhouse where they sell loads of tools, well built solid wood furniture, handmade quilts, livestock, etc. I often envy their simple methods of living and do not wish any bad upon them, especially the government intruding on their lives. Instead, I wish we could get the government out of ours. I am certainly glad that I live among them rather than among the likes of Nathan13.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
The government needs to leave them alone and stay out of it, but I could care less if I ever saw another one.
We've had an amish community a couple of counties away from us for several generations but they've worked all over the southern part of the state. Some do great work, others not so great. They have been there long enough that they have outgrown their communities and a lot of the locals won't sell the kids any land, especially farm ground, so they are moving out.
We are starting to get them in our county and this bunch is coming out of New York. They're selling farms for big money there and moving to areas where land is not nearly as expensive like here. My part of the state is not typical amish country. Way too many hills and rough ground, not the flat or gentle rolling ground like they typically inhabit.
I have been around them working on job sites and had other dealings with them. They love to act ignorant. That's one of their favorite tactics. They are hard on livestock and hard on women and there is no end to their creativity when it comes to screwing someone out of a dollar. You better be real careful if one is nice to you. They aren't who you think they are. The other day, my friend sent me a picture of an amish horse and buggy tied to a sign at the hospital. The sign said, "Veteran's Parking."
Oh yeah, that's one thing you won't find in an amish community......... a VFW.

JTrapper,

some do great work, others not so great?

Dang, that sounds like those colored folks, and some Mexicans, Ukranians, and even..........................white Volk.

Selling property in NY for big money and moving to your area?

Dang, that sounds like some Californians moving to "pick a State"..............or even Iowans, Minnesotans, and Ohioans moving to TX or other Southern States.

As to non-service in the military.............there have been many conscientious objectors from various religions, and likely even atheist ones, over the years.

Seems like there's some dislike around here for living in a free country.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by NoPa
I live among many Amish and some Mennonites, know many and do business with them periodically. I also travel through many Amish and Mennonite communities in northern PA and the Finger Lakes region of upstate NY. Their farms and homesteads are generally the nicest, cleanest and well kept around, not using their yards for trash dumps like a good portion of the "English" around our area. Their animals are always well cared for. We always look forward to attending their auction in the spring to support their schoolhouse where they sell loads of tools, well built solid wood furniture, handmade quilts, livestock, etc. I often envy their simple methods of living and do not wish any bad upon them, especially the government intruding on their lives. Instead, I wish we could get the government out of ours. I am certainly glad that I live among them rather than among the likes of Nathan13.

your Amish up north must not work that hard, down here in the center of the state they run there horses into the ground

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Division of religon and state.
GMAFB....

all these fugging loopholes to get out of paying for schit is ridiculous and fugging came about 100,s of years ago passed by fuggs that been dead for ages.

Fugg em...
Let em eat fisheads.....

Ouch, that's rough.

But friend, there are some other very important things that "fugging came about 100,s of years ago passed by fuggs that been dead for ages" that are still important to many of us.

If a good Liberal (no such thing, right) saw your statement they'd be the first to tell us that the Constitution is an evolving document and doesn't mean now what it meant to all them dead fuggs.

I do understand the fish heads though.......................they can be quite tasty grin

Geno

It religous exemptions to keep benjamins that pisses me off.
Why cant I as a individual citizen say my religon prevents me from paying or obeying this that or the other.

Whats fair for one should be fair for all.

When these religous groups have internal community cash banking systems outside of unca suga,s eyes.
And people like you and myself dont.
It aint right.
What makes them so special they are untouchable.

Im catholic I want the same perks these people have income reporting wise and banking wise.
Why do they have the freedom I dont have.
Why do I have to pay taxes on my assets in banks, 401s, stocks, ect ect ect
While they have community cash cow banks all unreported and unknown to unca suga.

Its all bullschitt man and dont equate in this day and age to other rights that have existed for 100,s of years for all of us.

Bottom line is they are fuddy duddy old policy tax cheats and scammers who deal in unreported cash income.

While the rest of us get screwed.....

Religous exemptions carte blanche from the old days need ta cease.
Let em worship whatever they want.
But the loopholes benjamin wise need ta cease for all religous groups specially when cold hard cash is involved.
JMO...

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The government needs to leave them alone and stay out of it, but I could care less if I ever saw another one.
We've had an amish community a couple of counties away from us for several generations but they've worked all over the southern part of the state. Some do great work, others not so great. They have been there long enough that they have outgrown their communities and a lot of the locals won't sell the kids any land, especially farm ground, so they are moving out.
We are starting to get them in our county and this bunch is coming out of New York. They're selling farms for big money there and moving to areas where land is not nearly as expensive like here. My part of the state is not typical amish country. Way too many hills and rough ground, not the flat or gentle rolling ground like they typically inhabit.
I have been around them working on job sites and had other dealings with them. They love to act ignorant. That's one of their favorite tactics. They are hard on livestock and hard on women and there is no end to their creativity when it comes to screwing someone out of a dollar. You better be real careful if one is nice to you. They aren't who you think they are. The other day, my friend sent me a picture of an amish horse and buggy tied to a sign at the hospital. The sign said, "Veteran's Parking."

JTrapper,

Dang, that sounds like those colored folks, and some Mexicans, Ukranians, and even..........................white Volk.

Dang, that sounds like some Californians moving to "pick a State"..............or even Iowans, Minnesotans, and Ohioans moving to TX or other Southern States.

As to non-service in the military.............there have been many conscientious objectors from various religions, and likely even atheist ones, over the years.

Geno

You might want to research the different duties that were assigned to legitimate conciencous objectors during g wartime in this country before you make excuses for the Amish. Being a draft dodging, parasite upon our society is not the same as being a conciencous objectors.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I had a dream just last night that I was trying to shoot something with an AK and it wouldn't work. I have nothing against AK's...not a hater. [bleep] u cker just wouldn't work!

I'm familiar with AK's having owned one. I knew how it worked in the dream and wasn't doing anything wrong. It just wouldn't work...which is a recurring dream with me. Not just with AK's but with other guns. Of course, I've had that happen in real life. The Judge is a prime culprit and I once hand an original Sharps I was hunting with and the trigger just wouldn't pull on a big buck. Some would say buck fever. I dunno. It just wouldn't pull.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would agree that churches and religious property should be taxed without favor or discrimination. Same way Amish and Vietnamese are taxed on their farm and business property. Here we have preachers owning the church and parsonage and exempt from property taxes. They take up the collection and it is his to spend and report as he wishes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Division of religon and state.
GMAFB....

all these fugging loopholes to get out of paying for schit is ridiculous and fugging came about 100,s of years ago passed by fuggs that been dead for ages.

Fugg em...
Let em eat fisheads.....

Ouch, that's rough.

But friend, there are some other very important things that "fugging came about 100,s of years ago passed by fuggs that been dead for ages" that are still important to many of us.

If a good Liberal (no such thing, right) saw your statement they'd be the first to tell us that the Constitution is an evolving document and doesn't mean now what it meant to all them dead fuggs.

I do understand the fish heads though.......................they can be quite tasty grin

Geno

It religous exemptions to keep benjamins that pisses me off.
Why cant I as a individual citizen say my religon prevents me from paying or obeying this that or the other.

Whats fair for one should be fair for all.

When these religous groups have internal community cash banking systems outside of unca suga,s eyes.
And people like you and myself dont.
It aint right.
What makes them so special they are untouchable.

Im catholic I want the same perks these people have income reporting wise and banking wise.
Why do they have the freedom I dont have.
Why do I have to pay taxes on my assets in banks, 401s, stocks, ect ect ect
While they have community cash cow banks all unreported and unknown to unca suga.

Its all bullschitt man and dont equate in this day and age to other rights that have existed for 100,s of years for all of us.

Bottom line is they are fuddy duddy old policy tax cheats and scammers who deal in unreported cash income.

While the rest of us get screwed.....

Religous exemptions carte blanche from the old days need ta cease.
Let em worship whatever they want.
But the loopholes benjamin wise need ta cease for all religous groups specially when cold hard cash is involved.
JMO...

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you in principal....................I'm a flat taxer after all................don't think "rich folks" should get a tax break just because one of their "investments" is losing money..................or their oil well is depreciating.

What happens if we were to join an Amish clan, could we hide our money too? crazy

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I drafted an Amish buggy when cycling through Ohio, that horse was pulling a steady 15mph, into a headwind.

Turns out too that a horse has all kinds of torque, didn’t hardly slow at all going uphill. In conversation later the driver told me that a horse was good for forty miles a day, which I would guess works out to about four hours.

‘Nother bunch further down the road the women were using kids’ scooters to get to the store, no bicycles, just scooters.

In Western New York though a buggy load of teenagers were speeding, galloping through town, yelled something as they passed.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

JTrapper,

Geno

You might want to research the different duties that were assigned to legitimate conciencous objectors during g wartime in this country before you make excuses for the Amish. Being a draft dodging, parasite upon our society is not the same as being a conciencous objectors.

You mean like this history?

Although by 1917, when the US entered the First World War, the ‘Historic Peace Churches,’ (Quakers, Mennonites, Amish and the Church of the Brethren), were legally exempt from military service, state draft boards were not consistent in applying the law. The American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) was established to provide support for conscientious objectors and alternatives to military service, work which continued throughout the Second World War.

http://www.quakersintheworld.org/quakers-in-action/171/-Conscientious-Objection

There's a lot more info on it out there if you'd care to look into it. Read that link and see about the folks who went to jail for their beliefs and such.

Some Quakers regard taxation for military purposes as a form of conscription. Refusal to pay tax as a form of protest goes back at least to 1709, when Pennsylvania Quakers refused a request for £4000 for a military expedition against the French in Canada, saying "it was contrary to their religious principles to hire men to kill one another". During the War of Independence, Quaker property was seized and many Quakers were jailed for war tax resistance.

Yeah, others were given office duty, or medical duty, but still others refuse to assist a military effort in any way, including paying for it.

Geno

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jesus Christ...sounds like everyone's jealous that they're doing what no one else has the balls to do..... Tell .gov to suck a big one and do what's right, not what's "legal".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdy,

I wonder if them NY kids had gotten into the cider.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being a draft dodging, parasite upon our society is not the same as being a conciencous objectors.
People who work and produce needed goods and services and are not a burden on the public treasury are not parasites on society and I applaud them for not wishing to go kill people in a foreign country or assist in any way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
378 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.