Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I just traded for a Kimber TLE in 10mm, it came in a multi trade and I couldn't turn the deal down. I had what he wanted more than he had what I wanted. The gun is BNIB with 4 mags, I really don't care to add another caliber to the arsenal, but I thought maybe I'd keep it and just run 40's in it. I did a little search on the subject, common theme is head spacing on the extractor, and carboning up the barrel where 10mm will stick (not an issue with good cleaning). Anybody done it a bunch and have good advice. I trust this bunch more than Youtube Bandits.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve shot a few through my Glock 20 with no problems. Even the CCI snake shot loads fed well. Never tried it in my Kimber 1911 in 10mm though. Don’t see why it wouldn’t work, though.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/27/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mirage243
I just traded for a Kimber TLE in 10mm, it came in a multi trade and I couldn't turn the deal down. I had what he wanted more than he had what I wanted. The gun is BNIB with 4 mags, I really don't care to add another caliber to the arsenal, but I thought maybe I'd keep it and just run 40's in it. I did a little search on the subject, common theme is head spacing on the extractor, and carboning up the barrel where 10mm will stick (not an issue with good cleaning). Anybody done it a bunch and have good advice. I trust this bunch more than Youtube Bandits.

I believe I tried it with my Glock 20, just a few rounds to see if it really works, and it did. Then I bought a .40 S&W barrel for it, which is the better way to go.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I did it with a S&W 610. Worked fine other than the crud in the cylinder just like a 38 in a 357.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got a Stainless Target II and never have only because I found a .40 barrel cheap and it dropped right in.

If you go over to the 10mm Forum there are a lot of people over there that have. Only suggestion is to make sure you clean the chamber real good after shooting.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Shoot 40s in an early Delta, Gen 1 20, Gen 4 20 and 40 and RIA a2 FS , only problem is cycling, needed spring change outs, mag feed problems with some.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I've shot about 100-150 rounds of .40 down my Glock model 40.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I've shot about 100-150 rounds of .40 down my Glock model 40.

Of course you did. What else would you shoot from a Glock 40?

Just kidding. I know the 40 is a 10mm. grin

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just hanging on the extractor - a 9mm will shoot in a 40sw, a 40sw will shoot in a 45acp.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
just sell it and buy a 40SW, you can do a lot of things but why bother....

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I fired 3 thru my Delta when .40 first came out. They went bang and fed OK, but didn't have enough recoil to function the action IIRC. Haven't felt the need to try again in the following decades.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Like shooting 38 spec in a 357 mag, you have to deal with the cleaning and potential chamber erosion. I'd either fit a proper .40 cal barrel or sell/trade it towards something you really want. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by mirage243

I have done it to figure out what was what, but don't recommend it and won't do it myself any more in a 1911. It's safe in a Glock, but is not safe in a 1911. That's nothing to do with strength of the gun, it's because of firing pin/striker protrusion. In a 1911, a 40 S&W round will occasionally jump in front of the extractor during feeding, and the 10mm chamber is deep enough that a 40 case will stay in front of the extractor. A standard 1911 firing pin will reach the primer in that condition though, which causes the case to slam back against the breech face, resulting in what you see in the pic below.

Note the missing piece of rim where it was sheared off by the extractor. Cases that do this generally bulge a bit, and it's possible for them to blow out. Also note that this is a perfect example of case damage that looks like high pressure but was actually caused by excess headspace; same thing happens in rifles.

In a Glock, in contrast, the striker protrusion is short enough that a case in front of the extractor simply won't fire. It either works correctly, or not at all.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Look at the firing pin protrusion relative to the extractor position.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sorry I never saved the photos off the now dead website showing many backed out and hammer flat primers/case heads like the one above. Bad ju-ju

"headspacing off" the extractor... with no idea if that headspacing is adequate and safe. No thanks.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by cas6969
I'm sorry I never saved the photos off the now dead website showing many backed out and hammer flat primers/case heads like the one above. Bad ju-ju

"headspacing off" the extractor... with no idea if that headspacing is adequate and safe. No thanks.

Yeah, it always seemed to me like a bad idea, even if it works. I just tried a few to see if it actually worked, but quickly bought a proper .40 S&W barrel for my Glock 20.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by cas6969

Yeah, it always seemed to me like a bad idea, even if it works. I just tried a few to see if it actually worked, but quickly bought a proper .40 S&W barrel for my Glock 20.

TRH, where's your sense of adventure? 😂😂😂

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (338reddog, 2500HD, 3333vl, 808outdoors, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,246 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,123
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.