Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
learning the hard way again that carrying too much gear in the ruck is bad on the knees... and my knees aren't getting younger... i figure between advil and staying hydrated and compression knee sleeves and trekking poles and lightening the ruck i can perhaps backpack hunt until 70... 7 years away... local winds have been fierce lately when on the trail, which brings me to the subject title

one piece of gear i need to figure out is an upper outer layer to stop the wind... something supple and quiet. doesn't have to offer insulation...just block the wind from cutting thru me and turning the perspiration into icicles. easy to stuff into the ruck. Something I can wear as the outer garment with just a thin polypro baselayer underneath when humping the hills... something that won't get torn up by backpack straps... moisture wicking... when i stop, the idea is to change out to dry baselayers and then put the wind garment outer on again...

recommendations appreciated.

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There are lots of fancy balaclavas and face masks on the market. But I believe in the KISS strategy and the simplest answer is a plain cotton bandanna. I've been using one for decades, even when skiing. They have lots of other uses also. A real good piece of multipurpose backpacking gear.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kuiu peloton 240 has done this for me .

Last edited by Stilllearning; 01/20/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When climbing or hiking I don’t try to stop the wind. The old adage for climbing and hiking in cold country is ...”start cold, stay cold, stop cold.” Then as your layer(s) of wicking clothing next to your skin evaporated and helps you cool down, then you open up your pack and start layering up to stay warm.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
From what it sounds like you are looking for, I’d highly recommend the HPG Windcheater.

Ed T

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ed_T
From what it sounds like you are looking for, I’d highly recommend the HPG Windcheater.
That's going to be my next outerwear purchase. For the OP, here's a link to a thread I started asking about it:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13318982#Post13318982

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a “windshirt” is probably the most versatile piece of clothing I own; literally worn year round

in addition to the Windcheater, look at Patagonia’s military windshirt- available only on eBay (or joining the military :))- often referred to the Level 4 jacket

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wow, I looked those up and they are "spendy."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the Windcheater’s are spendy, but they are well made, more durable fabric than most windshirts, have pit zips and allow the addition of a coyote ruff (zip on/off), but yeah they are spendy smile

the level 4 Patagonia military one is a good jacket that I can vouch for, but not nearly as feature rich as the WC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Marmot PreCip jacket with a poly balaclava and/or shemagh.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have the Marmot 100% nylon and it is way too noisy - crinkly noisy...i will check out the others

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a wildthings windshirt that works ok. The best wind stopper I've used was a sitka jetstream light. That thing was awesome for stopping wind.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Gore-Tex

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I second the Sitka jet stream lite. My favorite piece of clothing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a goretex/rain jacket will certainly cut the wind and if you're static, ie glassing- it works great; however if you're looking for a garment on the move it would be one of the last things I would suggest, they simply don't breathe.

instead looking for a wind jacket/windshirt- protection form the elements, but still breathes well enough to use on the move

two totally different animals

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by Dogger
I have the Marmot 100% nylon and it is way too noisy - crinkly noisy...i will check out the others

Get a softshell, then.

If problem persists, move slower or change your hunting tactics or turn down your hearing aid.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That tough. To stop the wind you are going to have to create a barrier that isn't friendly to hard hiking. I think you best move would be to freeze when hiking, and to put on a puffy when glassing.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I've tried everything over the years.Nothing is perfect.

sitka soft shell vest over a wool shirt when moving. Start off a bit cold, under dressed to minimize perspiration .Silk bandana around neck. And shemaugh if temps low.. Throw on a puffy when stop and glass.

Last edited by ribka; 01/26/20.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
A windshirt might be one of the highest warmth to weight ratio items in my pack. When the wind is blowing it is amazing how much a sub-4 oz Patagonia Houdini helps.
Much more breathable than Goretex as well.
Lots of good options on the market, I like the OR Tantrum as well as some of Rabs offerings.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Gore-tex... after witnessing our dismounted light infantry get in serious hypothermia trouble with their high speed/low drag Goretex outer gear (NTC January 1995) on the top of a mountain goat mountain in serious cold weather and torrential rain - i have never been a fan of that stuff... too heavy... too thick... too bulky...

something thin and light and quiet to stop the wind when you are exposed and need to move... if it starts raining... i am stopping and erecting shelter/fire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,246
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.