Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Coincidentally, I shot my Ruger RSM 450 Rigby today. It was originally a 416 Rigby, rebored to 0.458” by JES, with 4 grooves. The rifle is accurate, with normal MVs for the loads used.

This is the second rifle I’ve had JES rebore. The other is a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan rebored from 375 to 404 (0.423”).

In both cases, Jesse was fast, communicative and delivered excellent quality at a very reasonable price. Recommend JES.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Those 3 groove jess rebores pick up velocity. I had at least 60-70 fps increase from his rebores when compared to 4-5 groove factory barrels of equal length.

His rebores polish up nicely too, if you clean with abrasives like kg-2 on an oversized bore snake every 3-5 rounds. Leave the kg2 in the bore and continue firing. 100 rounds later, fouling with pure copper bullets will be significantly reduced.

If you ask him, he'll cut a front sight dovetail free of charge.

He apprenticed with an old school barrel guy, and assumed the tooling. A far more experienced "old timer" process, than these idiot millennials operating mass production machinery like the above mentioned ruger guide gun in 30-06. Jess fixed "state of the art" with "dated" processes.

TRexF16 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Those 3 groove jess rebores pick up velocity. I had at least 60-70 fps increase from his rebores when compared to 4-5 groove factory barrels of equal length.

His rebores polish up nicely too, if you clean with abrasives like kg-2 on an oversized bore snake every 3-5 rounds. Leave the kg2 in the bore and continue firing. 100 rounds later, fouling with pure copper bullets will be significantly reduced.

If you ask him, he'll cut a front sight dovetail free of charge.

He apprenticed with an old school barrel guy, and assumed the tooling. A far more experienced "old timer" process, than these idiot millennials operating mass production machinery like the above mentioned ruger guide gun in 30-06. Jess fixed "state of the art" with "dated" processes.

Thanks for that information. That's a reason to choose the 3-groove.
I've not used the KG-2 before but just looked it up and it seems very highly reviewed.
What do others here think of the suggestions from mainer_in_ak? Anything to add on the technique?
Thanks,
Rex

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I haven’t had the need to lap any of the four he’s done for me. They never fouled badly to begin with and DBC takes care of that plenty easy. Jess does great work.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I haven’t had the need to lap any of the four he’s done for me. They never fouled badly to begin with and DBC takes care of that plenty easy. Jess does great work.

That a fact. I shoot and clean with JBs paste and around 20-25 I clean to steel, DBC and call it a day. Works well for me.

Semper Fi
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In a week I will be sending him a new Ruger SS Hawkeye '06, to be bored to 9.3.

I'm going 5 groove 1-10 twist.

Hopefully he can chamber it to the dummy round that I send him that fits the magazine.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SU35
In a week I will be sending him a new Ruger SS Hawkeye '06, to be bored to 9.3.

I'm going 5 groove 1-10 twist.

Hopefully he can chamber it to the dummy round that I send him that fits the magazine.

What's your thinking, 5 groove vs. 3 or 4?

Just curious.

DF

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
do you think he can work on carbine 7600 35 whelen to become a 9.3x62 despite the small differece and open sights?

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
C
What would be a good rebore of a .308 Win in a Ruger RSI bolt action?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
A .358 of course! I spoke with him today about doing a .416 but he said he’s not set up for those.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Marlin 30AS JES rebored to 356 Winchester. He said there isn’t much difference with 3,4 or 5, but I went with 5. I prefer odd number as I read an explanation why when I did it but cannot remember why. He does great work, fast and reasonable.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I've really been toying with the idea of sending him a Rem 700 youth with a factory 20in tube and having him rebore to 338 Federal. keep it short and light and handy. Restocked of course..... Low power scope..... All weather finish....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Originally Posted by czech1022
What would be a good rebore of a .308 Win in a Ruger RSI bolt action?

My first response is 358W as well, but barrels on the Ruger RSI bolt actions are very thin. I doubt there is enough meat there to bore it out to .358. If you send it to him you may want to plan to have a backup caliber in mind like a .338 Federal. Or talk it through with him first before sending the rifle to him.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
4 groove/ 3 groove? Pac-nor literally built his reputation with 3 groove. Lilja is building 3 groove, the name speaks for itself. Calm down, you're building a hunting rifle.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Anyone had a 350 Legend done? I'd like to p/u a used Tikka 223 and have it chambered to the 350.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by yukonphil
do you think he can work on carbine 7600 35 whelen to become a 9.3x62 despite the small differece and open sights?

I think that's not something he would try. The bores are too close.

Ever try to drill out a hole already there with a bit just a little bigger? BIND...SNAP...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

TRexF16 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by yukonphil

The bore/land diameter on the 9.3 is right at .358, the same as the groove diameter for the 35 Whelen. Might not work but it wouldn't hurt to ask though, they take phone calls if they can and they call you back if you have to leave a voicemail.
Would you consider a .375 Whelen? I know Jess does those, as well as the .400.

Cheers,
Rex

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bruce,

I talked to more than one reborer when doing an article on the subject a couple years ago. The primary reason for not reboring to a only slightly larger caliber is not just reaming correctly, but because so many rebore jobs these days are requested for button-rifled and hammer-forger barrels. The rifling of both introduces differential stresses into the steel, which makes reaming AND cut-rifling to a slightly larger caliber very difficult to do consistently--which is why most will only rebore to a caliber somewhat larger than "barely" more than the original.

When Cliff LaBounty was still working, he developed a method of lapping the lands and cutting the original grooves a little deeper. But that meant the rifling twist would have to be the same as the original barrel. This meant a 1-16 twist .35 caliber barrel increased to 9.3mm would also have to use a 1-16 twist, not so good with 9.3.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bruce,

I talked to more than one reborer when doing an article on the subject a couple years ago. The primary reason for not reboring to a only slightly larger caliber is not just reaming correctly, but because so many rebore jobs these days are requested for button-rifled and hammer-forger barrels. The rifling of both introduces differential stresses into the steel, which makes reaming AND cut-rifling to a slightly larger caliber very difficult to do consistently--which is why most will only rebore to a caliber somewhat larger than "barely" more than the original.

When Cliff LaBounty was still working, he developed a method of lapping the lands and cutting the original grooves a little deeper. But that meant the rifling twist would have to be the same as the original barrel. This meant a 1-16 twist .35 caliber barrel increased to 9.3mm would also have to use a 1-16 twist, not so good with 9.3.

If the article was published I’d be very curious to know where. I’d really like to give it a read.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had JES do a 3 groove 35 Whelen for me. Very accurate. I'd do 3 groove again.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.