-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Last week I got to spend time with friends, and do some hunting and shooting outside of San Antonio, TX.
I took three handguns: a custom 357 Magnum Ruger GP-100 (Franken-Ruger), and a custom Pachmayr Dominator in 25 Creed. Both of these were built by Chris Rhodes/Bayside Custom Gunworks. The third is a center Grip XP-100 in 6.5 PRC that Tim King built. Tim lives outside of Rapid City, South Dakota, and has even attended WY-SHOT once, and will be there again this year.
All three of these handguns shoot lights out. I used Factory Hornady ammo for the Franken-Ruger: 158 grain XTP HP that has served me so well on everything it has touched.
I used Hornady ammo with the 6.5 PRC (143 grain ELD-X). Hornady ammo continues to amaze me with its consistency/accuracy, even at distance.
First thing is to check zero’s after a flight. Of course, Matt needed to shoot all three handguns. I think the 357 Magnum Franken-Ruger is his hands down favorite. Once that was done, we went out for an evening hunt, and although we saw game, it was not what we were looking for. After a great meal and a time of catching up, sleep was welcome.
The next day involved another morning in a box blind. Again, we saw game, but not what we were looking for. After the morning hunt, Matt and I met up with my buddy who came in for the day. Corn was put out in an open field where Axis and Blackbuck like to hang out. We were comfortable and waited. Shortly, the field began to fill up and the Axis we were wanting showed up.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Now, I had to make sure I had a clear shot. I had the Pachmayr Dominator ready to go. Once I knew I had a clear shot, I sent one and he piled up in about 50 yards.
He was in full velvet which is a bonus for me.
The 110 grain AB did great. He was a little heavier than I expected. Took him back and then time was spent taking care of him. Once all of that was done, we got a tour of the ranch Matt manages. It is beautiful! Before we went into eat, we went a steel range Matt built, that had targets out to 1010 yards. I will make a separate post about some of the LR shooting with various handguns.
After a late lunch, we again went out where I had shot the Axis buck, looking for a Blackbuck. We saw Blackbuck, just not the one I had spotted earlier on Monday afternoon. After dark thirty, just for fun I took my Franken-Ruger and smacked their 200-yard steel plate. My buddy had to head out.
Wednesday brought rain and fog for most of the day. Morning hunt brought no joy for what we were looking for. After lunch we spent a soggy afternoon waiting on that Blackbuck. Have you ever noticed, that whatever you are not hunting for tends to show up?
Around 3:30 that Blackbuck finally did show up and the Franken-Ruger barked once, and in about 50 yards he was down for the count. Range was 70 yards or so, which is not a problem for the Franken-Ruger.
Took care of the Blackbuck quickly and now off to our evening blind, a little late mind you. On the way we happened across some Javelina. The Franken-Ruger again came out and made a nice shot at 132 yards…Did I ever tell you this revolver is very accurate?
The little guy ran about 50 yards again, and he will make a nice European mount. Now we have even less time, but the cards have been falling into place. Again, we saw game, but not what we were wanting. The 6.5 PRC had not been able to eat yet, so it was up, but I had the FR with me for up close and personal. It was really dark, and we had agreed I could not make out a target by the feeder. Our only hope was the white gravel road which was going away from us up a hill. We had agreed it was time to head to the house when a black form showed up on the road. It was a hog. I already had the XP set-up, so I quickly ranged the pig (171 yards), closed the bolt, made a quick adjustment and easily pressed on that Dell trigger. The muzzle flash was stupendous with that Tubb brake. We both heard the meat-report, and he was down on the spot.
What a busy afternoon and evening. We went spot lighting for predators (legal where we were at), but brought nothing home. I wasn’t really set-up for that, but had a great time. The morning hunt was not profitable, but a good time together enjoying a beautiful morning. We made another trip to the range, and then it was time to get ready to head to the airport. Good friends were also great at taking pictures and editing-Thanks guys!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice work and great pics!! Grats

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice animals and good shooting!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool!

Todd

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for posting the story and pictures

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like you were having some, fun while hunting with your handguns.

Thanks for the story and photos.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you for posting about such an interesting hunt.

I enjoyed reading your post.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice pictures. Well done.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (7mm_Loco, 2500HD, Anaconda, 808outdoors, Akpilot, 338reddog, 7 invisible), 1,206 guests, and 762 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,119
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.