24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
One of my HS classmates is downsizing and I got a screaming deal on his dad's Superposed. It was well used, well-maintained by a gun guy. It's been carried, rubbed, the checkering is mooshed, but it's tight. I really liked his Dad so this is kind of a keepsake.
But I want to bring it up to "modern" meaning extended screw-in chokes and backboring. Any howls of outrage from the Browning fans here, or is this a good thing that John Browning would approve?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
PLEASE don't ... if you want a utility over/under just get a Citori...

I have probably 20+ and would never consider choke tubes - but to each his own.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would never have choke tubes installed in my Superposed. I would not change one thing on it.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I would not mess with it. I am sure it shoots fine the way it is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leave it alone!

Also, few know that the chokes of the superposed aren't like conventional choke, where they begin to choke down near the muzzle. The Superposed barrels taper almost the whole way. That's one reason the guns shoot such good patterns in general.

I have my late dad's 20 ga 26" IC/Mod with solid matted rib right here, and it's worn about like your gun. It has wonderful character, and I wouldn't remove even one small scratch.

My grandson shot his first quail on the wing with it eight years ago.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you are a handloader you can manipulate patterns to some extent with different loads. As others have said I would leave it alone.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
From a purely technical perspective, many Superposed guns are too thin at the barrel to allow for choke tubes.

While I have a number of shotguns with tubes, and as I shoot much more now than I ever did before retirement, I’m far less enamored of the tubes. With the great shells of today, choke matters far less than it ever has.

Another vote for leaving it alone.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm with the don't do it crowd. As said above Superposed barrels can be thin. A friend of mine had a gunsmith "install" choke tubes on a 12 gauge and it was ruined. There are plenty of different loads out there to help a tightly choked gun. Also plenty of new shotguns with choke tubes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
never fails....guys get handed vintage model a's, and want to put mag wheels on it. :>

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by saskfox
If you are a handloader you can manipulate patterns to some extent with different loads. As others have said I would leave it alone.

Very true and something the old timers seem to know more about than today's gun writers. Major Charles Askins Sr. was a scattergun guru nearly a century ago. I tried some of his techniques, such as getting wider patterns with high powered #9's for quail, tighter patterns with slightly heavier shot at slower speeds. Seems the medium chokes are the most adaptive to that treatment. The Major had this gun choked by Browning to his specs. He was a great desert quail shooter, and according to his son, Col. Askins, didn't miss many.

I ended up with his personal Superposed. Here is a link to that project, lots of otherwise unpublished info on the Askins clan and shotgunning in general.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124719

95,758 hits since it started in July, 2007. It's an interesting read. Be sure you have some time.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, it's unanimous!

Okay, I guess I'll do an initial fit to me (pull is 15 inches) and see how it patterns/shoots. Thanks, everyone!

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am not against it. But I do question if it is really needed? Or did you just want the novelty of choke tubs?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have other shotguns with screw chokes and there IS a difference/benefit. I've also got rifles with adjustable butt/cheek and that's nice to have, too.
The Superposed is like having a 55 Chev. There's "stock" and then there's "modernized."

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I have other shotguns with screw chokes and there IS a difference/benefit. I've also got rifles with adjustable butt/cheek and that's nice to have, too.
The Superposed is like having a 55 Chev. There's "stock" and then there's "modernized."

None that is going to make enough difference to be worth the money! A Superposed is far from a any classic car to me. Not a bad gun but not in the realm of classics to me. Again I am not against back boring, lengthening forcing cones, or adding thin wall chokes. But the question still remains WHY?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just because? I mean, most of us don't "need" firearms anyway, right?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sell it and buy a Benelli auto.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.