Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

There are plans to issue the new Military Rifles with suppressors,otherwise muzzle blast from a 80,000 psi round would be horrific.

The whole project seems like they are chasing their tail,they need a 16 inch barrel because of the added length of the suppressor,which they need because of the high pressure which they need to get the necessary velocity from the short barrel.

Does anyone else see the absurdity of the thought process?

I have a Kimber Adirondack in 6.5 Creedmoor,the Hornady 120 grain GMX Superformance load gives me 2950 fps without a suppressor,and 2980 fps with one.
All of this at about 60,000 psi.

Since the difference in terminal effect between a 6.5mm 120 grain projectile and a 6.8mm 140 grain projectile is undectable.( I know because I've killed a bunch with both.)And the the BCs of the bullets are very close,what real world gain do they expect to see by inventing a new cartridge with a pressure that is going to be a mechanical nightmare with respect to a host of components.

The thing will be hell on barrels,as well as bolt and receiver components as well. They could use a 20 inch barrel in a 260 Remington with 130 grain bullets and do the same thing at 65000 psi. Because of the lower a pressures a really short suppressor that extends 4 inches beyond the muzzle and a couple of inches behind it would be as quiet as a full length suppressor on the high pressure 6.8.

If I being a Dentist and a rifle looney of the first order know all this stuff,why does anybody spending the money in the military not get it?

Just amazing.

The military is going to suppressers to eliminate hearing damage to soldiers, not simply because of the pressure

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That's why I use them too,but all my points are valid. You can do the same thing at lower pressure in a slightly longer barrel and a slightly shorter suppressor without the issues that will be coming at 80,000 psi.It requires special(expensive) brass. It wears out barrels a lot faster,and it will wear out other components faster as well. It seems like opening a can of worms for no good reason.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll give the military procurement folks the benefit of the doubt that this actually meets some need better than other options, but a big cynical part of me wonders how much donations to various Congressional "charities" played a part in the selection process?

I recall someone said that the F-35 is one of the biggest successes in lobbying history, maybe Sig Sauer knows how to play that game?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It seems to me that this has the earmarks of being the equivalent of the $300 hammer.

Jim

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I wonder if the belt fed machine gun will have a suppressor.....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm very skeptical.

As machine gun, it's going to eat barrels.
At those pressures.

If it ever makes it to issue rifles, they are going to be big and heavy.
Recoil has to be near 308/30-06 levels. The levels people complained about 60 years ago.

Full auto? We had a 9 pound platform with a 147gr bullet at 2800fps.
It was deemed too hard to control on full auto, and emasculated to semi.
Heck, most AR platforms over the last 40 or 50 years haven't had full auto.

So, will they give our troops a big, heavy, hard kicking, semi auto rifle.
That probably would impress the hell out of some.
Those who no nothing of ballistics, or history.

After all,
It is state if the art, for the '30s.
Well, the 1930's.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
It seems to me that this has the earmarks of being the equivalent of the $300 hammer.

Jim

BINGO !!

I read it uses STEEL cases...... Not brass!

IF, IF that’s correct, no reloading.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall

Jim

BINGO !!

Jerry
IIRC steel case head, brass body.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ok !

Thanks.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The .277 winchester with all the naysayers, ( beerslayers) has been excellellent over the years,
Underdevoloped for newer modern purposes but steadfast for our elk killing and N.P.'s.
I have always found it overperformed( with good bullets). I can see why the military and Nosler Co. have decided it just might be ultimate bore diameter.
Make mine a Jack O'Conner special model 70, wood and blue, straight 4x scope and you have the quintessential Desert Bighorn rifle. - .270 wcf

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
A 277 140 @ 3k with 80k psi.

Yep, you are going to need to change those barrels.

Plenty of folks approaching 3000fps and 140s from the Creedmoor using R26, albeit with 24”+ barrels. I suspect they’re running some really high pressures too, but somehow they’re getting away with it.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The military has minimal care about costs.

And, if it provides a fighting advantage, such as increased range from a smaller package, a barrel need only last one firefight. It then gets replaced afterwards.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shinbone
The military has minimal care about costs.

And, if it provides a fighting advantage, such as increased range from a smaller package, a barrel need only last one firefight. It then gets replaced afterwards.

That may be true, but logistically speaking, replacing barrels to teams at the nether regions of places where getting logistics into austere environments isn't a good way to roll. Today's military picks are leaps and bounds better than what they have ever been and typically have some smart folks thinking through those sorts of problems. Most weapons are shot ALOT before they are picked and they are picked apart by end users. Not saying we haven't ever gotten crap, but todays gear and equipment has a Test and Evaluation phase that roots out most problems.

And most military folks could give a darn about our 24HCF love for 6.5/7mm/308 calibers. We only wanted what worked and if it is a .277 bullet that offers better range than what we have and does it in a package that is man portable and reliable it is mission accomplished.

Last edited by beretzs; 01/30/20.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It may turn out to be a "upgrade" M25 version. It could be that any machinegun would be on a crew served mobile platform ( where extra barrels/ammo can be stored) Anything out in the windy desert that will beat the 77gr 5.56 would be nice. In town, I just don't see anything beating the M4. We shall see! I "prefer" a drone, robot or any "standoff" weapon be used...our troops are too precious for most fights.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by jwall

Jim

BINGO !!

Jerry
IIRC steel case head, brass body.

This is correct and the case has a similar OAL to the .308. I to wonder why not just base it off a .308 case then?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,821 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.