Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never bothered with anything other than cup and core bullets. Not for deer. Not for Bear. Not for Moose. I'm told if I use premium bullets I can get by with a smaller gun? But I like doing things the way we did it in my youth.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Back in the 50's and 60's a box of twenty rounds usually lasted 8-10 years. My father shot a 38-40 and only ever had 1 box of 50 that I remember.There was none of this practicing,, sighting in for 3 shot groups and such. Most likely you might fire one round before the hunt to see if the gun still shot true,but more than likely not. It was common to see 8-10 deer hanging in deer camp though.Now it is big deal to see one.

We didn't know what we didn't know I guess

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yeah and it DIDN'T work did it ? smirk (sarcasm)

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Windfall
Back when I was using a .30-06 and .308 for my deer hunting, I knew how well that 180 Core-Lokt had been working on deer and tried to simulate it with something a little lighter when I was shooting a handloaded bullet through dry phone books tied together. A 165 grain Speer came close, but was no better. Then back in those days I tested the round nose Core-Lokt against pointed 180 grain Core-Lokt factory ammunition. The round nose was punching a thumb size larger opening through the first phone book that the pointed Core-Lokt didn't resemble until the third phone book exit. I forget how many more books the pointed Core-Lokt went through than the round nose, but it was at least several.

In a chart that Handloader Magazine published some years ago testing around 30 different 180 grain bullets side by side through wet paper medium I think they used. The round nose Core-Lokt was nearly the only one that mushroomed perfectly without losing it's lead core from 3,000. fps all the way down to 1,700 fps. Penetration through the medium went up when velocity went down as the mushroomed bullet's diameter was reduced. I ordered that chart from the author and commended him on all the extensive testing that he had done.

One other thing I'll add to this. Have you ever tried to eat a phone book? That's almost like comparing apples to oranges. Deer flesh or any flesh isn't the same as a phone book. When I was a kid or at least in my 20s a lot of people shot round nose ammo. And it killed as well or better than about anything else. The only draw back with round nose bullets is long distance. And that's not as limited as one would imagine. Nothing wrong with round nose for hunting. They work.

Last edited by Filaman; 01/25/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Almost any 180 grain bullet. My choice would be the Winchester Power Point of the Hornady Spire point.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Windfall

In a chart that Handloader Magazine published some years ago testing around 30 different 180 grain bullets side by side through wet paper medium I think they used. The round nose Core-Lokt was nearly the only one that mushroomed perfectly without losing it's lead core from 3,000. fps all the way down to 1,700 fps. Penetration through the medium went up when velocity went down as the mushroomed bullet's diameter was reduced. I ordered that chart from the author and commended him on all the extensive testing that he had done.

I have had that chart stuck on my gun safe for at least the last 20 years. I retired in 2003 and it was up several years before that.Lot of good info there.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I don't use it often, but when I carry my remington 7600 in 308 I use 180 grain round nose core lokts. Lets the air right out of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deer die easy. Whatever is the cheapest box of ammo at Walmart and shoots 2" groups or better at 100 yards is your huckleberry.

If reloading...……...….throw some 4350 under a 180 grain Speer Grand Slam and hunt your PA deer and whatever ELSE walks North America.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I grew up hunting in the PA deer woods and never used anything other than the 150 gr. Remington Core-Lokt out of my 06. The 06, the 30-30 and the 300 Savage were the most common calibers in our camp back then.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Ding, ding...
Steve Redgwell nailed it......
Going home to hunt with my life long buddy is priceless.
His wife still uses a 7600 carbine I gave her in 91 !
I'll be using this with round noser's
Just put a 3.5-10 on it this morning
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice rifle looks great!

RN is a great choice; I ran 180 GR RN Interlocks for years and they’re awesome!

PA is a great state for deer hunting beet of luck!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

No doubt at all
Nosler Bonded Performance 308-168. Very blunt nosed semi spritzer. Really great bullets for shots inside 225-250.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I found myself last fall in a situation where none of the rifles I was fooling with all summer shot the way I wanted them to for deer hunting. For a fall back I decided to pull one of my Remington 700 308's out of the safe and check it out at the range with some Hornady 180 grain round nose reloads sitting on the shelf. It shot 5 shots consistently into 1.25" groups and fed smoothly and reliably. I checked the ballistics. Sighted in at 1.25" high at 100 yards it was 1.25" low at 175. No need to touch the scope at any range I would have a shot.

I took it hunting in November.

I shot a doe out of several in an open field in the morning. She dropped in her tracks. She was perhaps 80 yards away. I don't think she was 100 yards away. The Hornady round nose shredded the heart and part of the lungs.

I shot a buck in the afternoon. He walked out of the woods, down to a road and down the road in front of the blind. He was less than 25 yards away, the closest I have shot a deer with a scope set at 6x, which was not an issue (no time to fool with the scope anyway). At the shot he bounded away for about 50 yards then veered off the road and collapsed in a heap. The bulled shredded the lungs.

My host looked at the evidence as the deer were field dressed and said, "That bullet really does its job!"

Then I have to confront my rifle looniness. There is no rational reason to mess with my other rifles. For the deer hunting I have left (assuming I don't win a lottery) I only need this rifle and the Hornady 180 grain round nose loads.

The only reason to mess with some of my other rifles, changing stocks for chassis, changing scopes, trying out different bullets and loads, is that I want to.

GrimJim

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That’ll work. Is that the best you have ?

Are your other rifles INcapable of accuracy ?

If so..... down the road.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jwall
That’ll work. Is that the best you have ?

Are your other rifles INcapable of accuracy ?

If so..... down the road.

Jerry

Jerry,

Its a matter of consistency, Some days the other rifles shoot into half an inch to three quarters of an inch at 100 yards. Other days they shoot into two inches. I am working on their consistency more than their accuracy. However, if they are a lot more accurate, they become useful at longer ranges than the shots I have. So I am fretting about accuracy I will probably never need. I will probably continue to fret.

I did identify at the end of the summer that action screws were working loose on a couple of rifles, but I ran out of range time to verify the results of tightening them. Since then I replaced the stocks with a chassis. This summer I see what effect this has. They might now be very accurate.

GrimJim

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 49 invisible), 3,322 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,292
Posts18,467,960
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.