Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think its un American not to have a dedicated Turkey gun or two with turkey chokes, scopes, red dots and dedicated turkey ammo. This keeps our economy going and it is the American way. I approve this message. Dan

BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve only shot two turkeys with a 12 ga shotgun, both with a modified choke and 2.75” shells. Both were dead on the spot.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Killed them with dedicated turkey tubes and turkey specific shotshells and killed them with standard shotgun chokes and standard shotshells - it's all about the Indian and how the Indian controls the shot string placement.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Pattern your shotgun, know where the pattern hits Vs where you aim. Start at the start!

If you are dedicated, you can find chokes and loads that will pattern 100% in a 20" circle at 40 yards. This will give you an effective range or 60 yards, perhaps more.

TSS shot writes a whole new use in shotgunning.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use a mdl 12 full , and a stevens 410 unknown choke. I have called them in to 10 feet away from me. no need for anything over choked. the 410 blowed off the head on one that was about 4 feet ,. that was the closest one ever. I love my 410.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Single shot 20ga. with Federal Flite Control Heavyweights # 7 or # 6 will kill Toms all day long @ 40+ yds. with a factory full choke. ---- The flite control wad works better for me with a full choke rather than the tighter Turkey chokes that I have tried.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Over the years it has amazed me how far a shotgun will kill a turkey.. I shot several with trap loads of # 7 1/2 out of an improved cylinder choke... One I remember was 44 yards away..
Last fall I shot my gobbler with a mod. choke in my old 870 12 and WW # 5 pheasant loads.. If I go out for turkey and take a shotgun, it is usually a 12ga. with a full choke.. Last spring I used my model 12 heavy duck and 3"5's..

Agree. 3 or 4 years ago, I had a Tom sounding off behind my shed. I got the dogs tied up and went out there in shorts and flip flops and shot him with a skeet choke with 7 1/2 AA target load. He didn't flinch at 30 yards. I've got plenty of high dollar turkey chokes and loads I like to pattern, but that's just cause we are prone to buy such stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lately I've been killing them with a cylinder bore, 20 gauge flintlock and 7 1/2 size shot.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I always felt the tight chokes were so you could make head shots and avoid putting many shot in the edible parts. My current Turkey gun is a Mossberg 500 with a Primos tight wad choke and it does pattern tight! This year I an going to try out some of the TSS small shot loads and use the edge of the pattern for head shots. Have to say though I have generally used full and modified chokes with good results.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
This is a good question. Over the years I have spent a pile of money on X-Full turkey choke tubes from many different brands and in probly 2 dozen different turkey shotguns but I never did warm up to the look of an extended choke on a shotgun, (I love a short barrel on my turkey guns) so I now I only use My flush factory Full tubes in all My turkey guns and found very little difference in any of my shotguns effective killing range, With the Winchester Extended Range 3.5" #5 My guns still throw a mighty dense pattern @60yds and I usually like them around 35-40yds before I shoot anyway (unless I let them walk like ive been known to do these past few years 😂).....Good hunting....Hb

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the regular full choke. I tried one of the extra full turkey tubes and it was so tight I needed rifle sights on the gun to not miss a turkey head at 20 yards. These days I do my turkey hunting with a cylinder bore flintlock. I never did understand why some folks want to shoot a turkey at 50 yards.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use an old double with Mod and Full chokes. I reload using some Tom Brister (sp) loading data which produces low pressure heavy shot loads. You can get close to 100% patterns at 40 yds.

Charlie

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I like to get most of my shot in the head and neck area, so I don’t have to pick pellets out of the breast meat. That is the reason I like the tighter turkey choke. I will be shooting a 20 gauge this year with TSS for the first time.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by crsides
I use an old double with Mod and Full chokes. I reload using some Tom Brister (sp) loading data which produces low pressure heavy shot loads. You can get close to 100% patterns at 40 yds.

Charlie

I've had very good luck with my old sterlingworth as well. Its never missed a turkey and it has gotten a lot of them....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Why? Because all of my shotguns were built well before fancy turkey chokes were marketed. I take that back, one wears a polychoke that can be cranked to extra full!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have an 870 that came with a barrel marked mod.

All i have done is use a forcing cone reamer in the chamber.

It does shoot tight always has but it seems to put more shot in the head.

I also load my own shells with hard number 5 shot.

I use it for everything quail and other birds and also for skunks ,also have used it ti give warning shots to the neighbors dogs when they are here at the house chasing our critters.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.