Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by renegade50
Deer
I just cant nail one down.

Last year dove hunting with slumlord when I couldnt feed my semi auto fast enough to stay on birds getting by me.
It was fugging pandemonium.
And I can reload that gun fast.
Bout 45 mins late afternoon literal non stop shooting with slight pause,s.
Shoot em drop em pick em up later.
That Winchester 1400 mkII ran like a champ.
Just need ta switch to a mod choke this year, lots of closer in birds got by me.

Rene, I sure like a 20ga with IC for those close days. I even got to where that's what I use on quail years ago, unless they are real wild and flushing far away.

Low base 6s for quail and 7.5s for dove.

A browning A5 IC 20 can make you feel sorry for the doves over a West Texas waterhole late on a hot September evening. You can burn your hand on the barrel if you arent careful.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
What I miss is squirrel hunts with a .22 in the days of my youth. The golden days of fall and lots of big fox squirrels and not a care in the world.
Those places I used to hunt are all gone, the big tree claims and abandoned farmsteads all been bulldozed long ago.

That's the best of true hunting- sneaking, listening, looking, stalking in for a head shot.

It requires hunting and shooting skills and still allows a decent amount of shooting.

Then, no meat is better than squirrel.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/why-i-eat-squirrel-really

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When my oldest son shot his first mule deer buck.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Best memory of all Grandpa shooting a big whitetail buck on the run at 94 with open sights.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I got to visit with Don over a cocktail in the early 90's.Interesting man

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I still hurt with grandpas model 70 with Lyman peep sight and Dad's 721 with 6x weaver with Lee dot. And the tried and true load of 53 grains of IMR 4350 and the 130 grain Sierra flat base

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Most enjoyable would probably be a float trip in Alberta for moose. It was enjoyable because it was relaxing, the scenery was breathtaking and me and my buddy both got a moose. Mine being a 51". Very peaceful and relaxing floating on river in a canoe taking in all that God has created.

Most rewarding would be with my dad and nephew. Me and my dad have gone to the mountains (Allegheny National Forest) together since I was 10. He's my best hunting buddy. We go to the mountains for the first week of deer season and camp in a camper. It was 2010, my nephew was 12 so I took him with me for the first day. We posted together. Around 8:30 he shot a small 3 point. His first deer. While dragging that deer out, we picked up my dad and took some pictures. Then started off together all 3 of us. On the way out I saw a small 5 point and shot it while we were all together. I hadn't shot a deer while my dad was with me for years, so that was pretty cool. So 1:00 on the first day and 2 deer down. All of us together. That means that I was the dog for the rest of the week. Doing as many 1 man deer pushes as I could, working my butt off to get my dad a deer. My nephew mostly stood with my dad as his little legs weren't up for the walking I usually do. Tues and Wed produced nothing... Thursday we were in a place I know well and now we had about 2" of snow. It is a big valley with hemlocks in the bottom along the creek. I posted my dad on one side of the valley maybe 100 yards out of the creek bottom and just where the hemlocks start to thin out into small beech. I went up the mountain and around the valley to the opposite side from my dad and started down over the side. moving slow so I don't push anything too hard. I just want to move them.... as I start over the edge I saw a doe standing downhill maybe 100 yards and as I moved around to see if there were any more, I saw a nice buck laying. Looked like about 15" wide.... Eventually they saw me and ran down the valley, lower in the valley than my dad. I followed their tracks slowly and ended up following them up the valley and passing my dad by about 150 yards. It is thick in the small beech and he never saw them. Friday, we did the same thing except I moved my dad and put him right on the deers tracks. Off I went, made my same loop. It takes about 2-3 hrs. Started over the same edge and bingo, same deer but this time they were already on their feet and moving. Instead of following, I cut straight across the valley and to my dad. We were all standing there together when I noticed the buck coming up the bottom right at us. He would walk 10 - 15 yards , stop and look back. The way we were positioned I was standing on the high side of the tree and dad was on the low side of the tree, so I saw him first. I watched him for 40 yards before my dad saw him. I coached my dad through it the way he coached me when I was young. I could see the deer so I told him when to move and when not to. Got him ready and when he saw the deer, he said "are you sure it's legal?" I replied, "no doubt in my mind, he's plenty legal". Then he said, "as long as he's coming, I'll just let him come". So for the next 2-3 minutes we watched the deer walk, stop and look back, repeatedly until he was 40 yards away and up against a blow down. His next move was to duck under the blow down and when he did he stopped again to look back down the hill and my dad had a perfect broadside shot at about 35 yards. The 8 point never knew what hit him. He never took another step. I literally jumped with joy! It all came together in the last 2 hours of the trip.That was the last deer my dad shot and probably his last deer period. My dad hasn't hunted for a couple of years now, but I was blessed to have my dad with me when I shot my deer that year and I was further blessed to be with him when he shot his! It all took me back to when I was a kid and he coached me through my first deer. That's my best hunt ever!

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too many to pick one. But they all involved family and friends.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Spring turkey hunts with my Dad,and Grandpa.

Last edited by widrahthaar; 01/27/20.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Most enjoyable would probably be a float trip in Alberta for moose. It was enjoyable because it was relaxing, the scenery was breathtaking and me and my buddy both got a moose. Mine being a 51". Very peaceful and relaxing floating on river in a canoe taking in all that God has created.

That sounds like a hunt of a lifetime! I hope I can take a similar trip someday. What time of the year was it and did you have decent weather during that trip? I sure hope I can squeeze some hunts like this into my lifetime.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Retrospect.

Mine are death marches.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was invited to hunt on a Texaco lease in So. Texas. Involved trips to Del Rio and Acuña.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx
That's the best of true hunting- sneaking, listening, looking, stalking in for a head shot.

It requires hunting and shooting skills and still allows a decent amount of shooting.

Then, no meat is better than squirrel.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/why-i-eat-squirrel-really

Good article, but then maybe we're missing out on Florida iguana? I wouldn't know. Travis needs to chime in.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
2016 right before I went to Korea. Winter moose hunt, model 70 xtr featherweight, 270 Winchester, 140gr hornady btsp, 200yds if I remember right. That was her 3rd moose she’s harvested. It was a balmy -10 the day she got it.

[Linked Image]

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
This wasn’t an enjoyable hunt at all. Broke the clutch, had to be pulled 30 miles down the little delta to the trucks. Ph uck it was cold, cold..

[Linked Image]

Don’t LIKE....

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by bobinpa

That sounds like a hunt of a lifetime! I hope I can take a similar trip someday. What time of the year was it and did you have decent weather during that trip? I sure hope I can squeeze some hunts like this into my lifetime.

It was the first week in October. Weather was great. Probably low to mid 40s during the day and mid to low 30s at night. Only rained 1 day and it wasn't a bad rain. Full autumn foilage. We went with Northern Wilderness Outfitters in Alberta. Go to their web page and look at their wilderness float trip.

http://www.huntingalberta.com/

If I can figure out how, I will post a pic or two.

TRUMP 2020
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It was truly an awesome trip!!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by bobinpa; 01/28/20.

TRUMP 2020
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There are so many great memories i have from over the years, hunting with my Father, going on a self guided trip in Alaska, another self guided trip in the Republic of Congo, duck hunting in Canada with friends, especially my brother.

I remember writing this after a day of hunting in Zimbabwe and have been fortunate enough top spend many days in the field similar to this.

"On the 4th we hunted for a buffalo all day. I almost had to shoot a cow that charged but she stopped about 30 feet away when Shaun shouted her down. We crossed a road during the day and crossed it again about 90 minutes later. We found a nice set of leopard tracks on top of our tracks. Now the pressure was really on. We were in and out of buffalo all day and walked back to the truck in the dark but were unsuccessful. Those are the days I love. We hunted hard and walked quite a few miles. We were chased by elephants, watched a herd of a hundred buffalo stampede, and took a quick nap in a river bed during the heat of the day. It just does not get any better."

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

371 members (1lesfox, 10ring1, 160user, 06hunter59, 16penny, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.