Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Waders explained it perfectly.

I used to reload bulk 9mm. I have a Lee Loadmaster all set up for 9mm.

The price of cheap FMJ is low enough, it's hard to really save much in the way of money, and certainly not the time.

So I find myself buying bulk FMJ ammo, and a few boxes of good carry ammo.

I'll still handload a few if I'm curious what bullet A with powder B, will do in barrel length C. Stuff like that.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Not worth it unless you are trying to achieve a specific result. Pretty much all the bases are covered for me with factory 9mm. This is not true with the 38 special which is worth reloading to me.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Higbean
Kahr cw9 and a Tucker pancake.

CW9 is a nice little pistol. I'm wearing mine right now, in a DARA IWB kydex holster. I put a Hogue grip sleeve on it, and it fits the hand just perfectly for a smaller piece.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

100 rounds at 20 yards, just sawing on the trigger, getting in some of that 200 round break-in Kahr suggests. I didn't have a single stoppage.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by shaman

For me, reloading is an end unto itself. I see it as the man's answer to knitting.

I try to have projects for the winter and the hottest part of the summer. 9mm is one of them. I can crank out 200 rounds an hour on my progressive once it's set up, and it is the perfect thing to do for a couple hours when I'm stuck at home on the weekend.

Of course, I'm not just loading. I'm also casting. I'll cast up 1000 rounds of bullets when I have a chance, and then save them for the dark of winter.

I've got an upcoming small 9mm project upcoming, and then I'm switching over to .223 Rem.

I'm with the shaman on this. 9mm is easy to load, and inexpensive. You can load if for about the same price as .22LR costs, if you cast your own bullets. All you buy is powder and primers, right? Cheap enough.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by smallfry
Not worth it unless you are trying to achieve a specific result. Pretty much all the bases are covered for me with factory 9mm. .
That's SO very true...

I gave up on the 9mm long ago.. The high variations of available ammo now makes reloading more costly than not..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The worst part of not reloading it is leaving all of that once fired brass on the ground. It violates decades of Pavlovian conditioning...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What I like most about cheap bulk ammo is several shooters at our gun club just leave their brass lay. I pick it up, tumble it, resize, and bell it. I put it in quart zip lock bags. Sure, we can buy FMJ ammo cheap. Last week I loaded 300 rounds of 124gr HPs with bullets from RMR. Far cheaper than loaded HPs cost even in bulk. I also load plated bullets for steel targets for safety.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was told when I started asking about 9mm that reloading was well-nigh out of the question, because it was so small. It's really no different than trying to load 38 SPL or 45 ACP. Now, I will say that pistol rounds on a single stage press are somewhat of a bore, on a progressive they're just fine. I do most of my pistol rounds with an expander die and a factory crimp die at the end. Two extra operations per round over a rifle round can be tiring on a single stage. On a progressive, it's all done in one pull of the handle.

I also heard that 223 REM was too hard to load-- Hmmmph! Folks get strange ideas in their heads.

Last edited by shaman; 01/27/20.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The worst part of not reloading it is leaving all of that once fired brass on the ground. It violates decades of Pavlovian conditioning...

So true! I can't do it either!

In fact, I save all my 9mm brass and give it to guys who do reload. I even go through the bin at the gun club and pull brass for people I know who will use it.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I was told when I started asking about 9mm that reloading was well-nigh out of the question, because it was so small. It's really no different than trying to load 38 SPL or 45 ACP. Now, I will say that pistol rounds on a single stage press are somewhat of a bore, on a progressive they're just fine. I do most of my pistol rounds with an expander die and a factory crimp die at the end. Two extra operations per round over a rifle round can be tiring on a single stage. On a progressive, it's all done in one pull of the handle.

I also heard that 223 REM was too hard to load-- Hmmmph! Folks get strange ideas in their heads.

Stop hanging around idiots.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Waders
Originally Posted by TWR
I can load 100 rounds in 10 minutes on my Dillon SDB.

I once timed myself on how long it took me to load 100 rounds on my Dillon (550b). When I factored in the actual time it took, it was closer to 20 minutes for me. My time measurement started with me going to the cupboard and getting a box of 100 primers, putting on shoes and a jacket, going out to the shop, pulling the cover off the press and checking the setup.

Then it was all the usual steps of reloading: stabbing 100 primers off the flip tray and start pulling the handle. I manually weigh a powder charge about every 25-30 rounds just to make sure Dillon isn't trying to kill me. I also measure the OAL on those rounds. Then, my process includes putting a green and blue "X" on the bottom of each case so I can have my brass back at the end of a match. I typically reload 200 rounds in a session.

If you tumble brass (which I do), that process (including the sorting) has to be factored in as well. When I'm done, I have to close down the shop and go back into the house. That is all time actually spent in order to reload.

I appreciate that pulling the handle doesn't take that long, but for a guy who is wondering if reloading 9mm "is worth it," if time is a major consideration, these things are worth considering.

I pick up my brass so I guess I got to count that in but I throw it in a tumbler and go do something else. Came in tonight and pulled brass out of the tumbler, dumped it in my 1 gallon ice cream bucket, loaded a primer tube and checked the clock. Then I noticed I was low on powder so I added a little powder and started loading. 9 minutes later the beeper went off that told me I only had 4 primers left, which is where I started from. I still had a little brass left so on the clock I loaded another primer tube and loaded another 80 rounds or so. 12 minutes.

For me it's worth it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Looking at reloading 9mm and it just doesn't seem to be worth getting set up for it.

Thoughts?

Are you able to buy 9mm locally, I.e. Walmart? The local Walmart stopped selling the cheap win. White box ammo.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fester
Looking at reloading 9mm and it just doesn't seem to be worth getting set up for it.

Thoughts?

Are you able to buy 9mm locally, I.e. Walmart? The local Walmart stopped selling the cheap win. White box ammo.

Sportsmans Warehouse has a bunch of cheap stuff, I just have to get my Drivers License updated and pay an extra $1 on each purchase to the .gov for being an evil gun lover.

I'll stock pile while in MT this summer.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by fester

Thoughts?

Sportsmans Warehouse has a bunch of cheap stuff, I just have to get my Drivers License updated and pay an extra $1 on each purchase to the .gov for being an evil gun lover.

I'll stock pile while in MT this summer.

Ahhh the real I.d. Bs

I’m going to make a run to hunningtons. I will probably run up to sportsman’s and grab some.

Last edited by fester; 01/27/20.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thoughts?

For plinking no. For my bowling pin matches, hell yes...... It really depends on what you want to do with your 9mm...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i haven't loaded 9mm for a long time, mainly because i have a lot of it loaded. I for sure can load it cheaper than some of the specialty ammo prices.
having said that, since i scrounged the brass, didn't pay for it, bullets were cast by me out of lead i didn't pay for in most cases, my cost is a primer and a little powder on a dillon, where i can knock out a lot of them fairly quickly. At about 2.50 a box.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

Stop hanging around idiots.

If memory serves me, I got the advice on this august campfire. Go figure.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Thoughts?
Not unless you're shooting it an awful lot. Walmart had the best prices, day-in and day-out, unless you were buying in extreme quantities. They were supposedly going out of the 9 and other service type round business after the last time the government shot up a church or school or something. I don't know if they actually did or not since Walmart is actually pretty big on turning a profit despite being scum sucking globalist f u c ks. Anyway, not worth getting set up for unless you've already got a reloading outfit. If you do, go ahead and buy the dies, just in case. Why not?

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I load for 8 different calibers/cartridges, one being 9MM. The short answer to your question is for 9MM generic hole punching ammo, it is no savings to reload them. Having said that, as several have mentioned, if you are set up to reload and have laid in a good supply of components, you will have ammo come what may as to shortages, political issues, etc. Additionally, there is significant savings in loading your own "business" and hunting ammo, especially in larger calibers. For instance, I can load .44 Mag with recycled brass, my own or range pick up, for about $8.00 - $17.00/box depending on what bullet I choose. Compare that to $35 -$45/box for store bought. As a plus, I can tweak my loads to my specs instead of just accepting what is offered for sale and it can be a rewarding hobby. Kinda like knitting, as someone mentioned.

Additionally, you can spend a lot of money on what I call semi-commercial or commercial equipment that can turn out copious quantities of ammo, or you can get a basic single stage press set up. A lot of difference in investment costs. Of course, you will always find that there are items you need and want that are not included in the "everything you need starter kits". What route to go will be determined by how much money are you willing to spend to get set up and how much time will you have to devote to using the equipment.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
neighbor stopped by a little while ago, has to start reloading 9mm this coming week. loaded about 4k rounds two months ago, already out of it.
i a few years ago priced new brass, new primers, powder, and new jacketed bullets.
given the time element to reload, it seemed better to just buy that factory stuff at ten dollars a box, and save the brass.
having said that, if you make your own bullets, you can roll it pretty cheap.
i have tended to cast 9mm bullets in quanity, so supply is never a problem

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,259 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.