Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thought we could get discussion going with this topic since most of us have recently closed out our elk hunts.

With our hunts still recent in our minds. What is your elk hunting style and does your rifle match the way you prefer to hunt elk?

😎

Be prepared to defend your rifle. Grins

No defense of my rifle. It was made for elk hunting. From the cartridge (338wm) to the model (pre 64 model 70). All in a light accurate, well balanced crf. It doesnt get any better. Sorry.

It could get better....If I was shooting it. Grins 😜😎

Yeah, I'm sure it could:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My rifle really struggles sometimes...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No doubt, that is a fine hunting rig...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For around home, either my 338 or whelen, last several years been 50 cal musket

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger MKII SS/lam 338 Win Mag with 210gr Partitions. Mostly in broken country, with a fair amount of openings. Sometimes wish for my range, but other than that it's worked well for me.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Like most states, NM elk hunts can vary from wide open spaces to clubbing range, so tactics obviously change with the draw.

I prefer spot and stalk type hunts but play the draw odds and take a tag where I can get it.

That said, the majority of our elk have been killed lately with 50 cal ML, .243 Win and .308 Win.

Had intentions of killing one this year on a spot and stalk type hunt with a 6.5 Creed but pulled a dumb ass move and missed an opportunity at the the bull I was trying to kill.

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
For years I hunted with a .308 Win but switched over to a .35 Whelen in 1990 hunting in Montucky griz country. I guess that was influenced by Elmer Keith? Anyway, the Whelen has killed a dump truck load of deer and elk. The longest was 308 yards on a rag horn bull. Mine doesn’t shoot 200 grain bullets worth beans, so a 225 gr TBBC or Partition is the load. It’s still my go to hunting in WA.

Subsequently, after hunting more open country in NW Colorado, I switched to a 7mm Weatherby and a .300 Weatherby. Both of those dumped deer and elk pretty much where they stood. Most of my shots have been under 300 yards, although longer shots are sometimes the norm. 150 and 168 gr TTSX shoot well in the respective rifles. I’ve hunted with my Mark V .30-06 but have never had an opportunity on elk with it in my hands.

The .300 Weatherby is my first choice and wears very good glass with no turret twisting. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
BSA,

What make of stock is that? I have a standard weight pre-64 in 30-06 that I'm considering a synthetic for. Don't like the grip radius of the original stock, and wouldn't mind shedding a little weight in the bargain either.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of my elk hunting has been spot and stalk. I like to spot elk by glassing distant openings early in the mornings, but I've found many of my elk by slowly stalking through the dark timber. For about 20 years I used my horses to pack a camp deep into elk country, and they were great for packing the elk out. I built my first elk rifle, a Herter's Model U-9 barreled action in .30-06 and a Herter's semi-inleted walnut stock, when I lived in NW Colorado. With that rifle I killed my elk with both 150 grain Hornady Spire Point bullets or 180 grain Sierra SP bullets. A few years after I moved to Montana I had that rifle re-chambered to .30 Gibbs and my favorite bullet then was 180 grain Nosler Partitions.

I killed my first elk with a .30-40 Krag and whatever factory bullets my Uncle gave me when I borrowed that rifle from him. I killed my only archery elk back in 1973 with a 10 yard spot and stalk shot with a Herter's recurve bow shooting a fiberglass arrow and a Bear broadhead. I killed one of my best 6x6 bulls with a 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullet from my .257 Ackley in the early elk season while looking for a ram in one of Montana's Unlimited bighorn sheep units. I've also killed elk with my 7 mm Rem mag shooting 160 grain Accubond bullets, and I killed my last two bulls with my .300 Weatherby Vanguard rifle shooting one with a Barnes 168 grain TSX bullet and the other with a 168 grain TTSX bullet.

I don't think that I have killed any elk with a shot over 300 yards.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man no elk in my part of Alaska so I can’t even chime in on this bummer..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Beaver 10 (Mark), Though it appears, at least from the amount of elk hunting I did this year, I may not be qualified to answer your question. But, I will anyway.

Hunting Style: from “hair burning” distance to in excess of 500 yards, in a matter of minutes!

Rifle/cartridge/bullet suitability: Yes! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/27/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A lightweight 6.5 CM, 270, 7-08, or 308 works for me. I want to be good at 50 yards in the timber or out to 550 in the open. Backpack hunting mostly. A Light scope in the fixed 6x or 3-9 category with a BDC reticle or turret on top.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Beav, which bullets do you use in your Wby and RUM?

B,
I shoot the same bullet in both, 180g Nosler Accubond. I was a devout Barnes TSX bullet lover for many years. I still feel they’re a great bullet for hitting heavy animals. I just happened upon a new rifle that wouldn’t shoot the TSX worth a damn.

I started looking for an alternative, and landed on NAB. What I noticed right away on elk, was I didn’t need a second follow up shot as often as I did with the TSX bullet.

Over time, I started switching over to Accubonds. I feel the NAB’s can cause a smidge more collateral damage from the additional bloodshot, especially on the chest sheeting then the TSX bullet.

Both bullets are lethal. Accubonds just seem to shoot accurately out of any of my rifles. 😎

Solid copy. If you can pass me along your loads for the RUM. I’d like to try em. Thank you.

Like the Accubonds a bunch. The 160 7mm is a death dealer for us.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pre64 6.5-06 or 30-06 in McMillan edges. Timber hunting with shots from 15-220 yards to date.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
BSA,

What make of stock is that? I have a standard weight pre-64 in 30-06 that I'm considering a synthetic for. Don't like the grip radius of the original stock, and wouldn't mind shedding a little weight in the bargain either.

It is a Brown precision poundR

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Since elk hunting in Oregon positively blows, I just hunt with what I like to carry for miles, and that's a Savage 99 in 38-55, 284, or 358.

LOL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Since elk hunting in Oregon positively blows, I just hunt with what I like to carry for miles, and that's a Savage 99 in 38-55, 284, or 358.

You are telling me buddy. I hunt in a unit with a 4% success rate. I hunt an over the counter general season tag. A lot of people I know just take their rifles out for walks. BTDT many years myself... My boss goes to montana to hunt elk every year. He says, "those boys have it easy".... He won't hunt elk in this state...

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Mostly spot and stalk, always on foot and packing out on my back,
If in Colorado it's my pre 64 M70 300 H&H ( 180 TTSX) in a Echols legend stock, , in that state that rifle has killed all but one of my elk, so I have to use it.
In Montana and elsewhere it's my pre 64 M70 280AI (145LRX) in a mcm edge stock.
Scoped these rifles weigh just shy of 8lbs. a weight that seems to work best for me.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have averaged 190yds on 3 cow elk, here in Utah. I hunt the edges of dark timber/aspen groves. I sit/glass a lot. I shot my first with a Mod 70 FWT 30-06, running at 135 steps.( perfect set up, 2x7 scope, 23" Douglas #3, very lively) 2nd- sitting under a big spruce during snow, 200ydss, standing by beaver pond, 375 H&H ( sporter weight, Mod 700 BDL SS, just right for a .375.
3rd- lwt 338WM 250yds high up on a knife ridge. ( a rebarreled MGA lwt 340W that was "to light", scope killer) One time I carried a Mod 70 Express .375 H&H , wood stocked club all day. By late afternoon my arms were almost rubber! I shot a mule deer at 80yds, and "dropped the shot" with my tired little arms! It hit very low, broke the leg and cut a big gash through lower chest. I lost the track at dark, came back next day with the '06, jumped her up around 75yds. Then I went into town and traded it off. Too heavy for the mountains for me! I like a "light Sporter", if I use a non magnum, I use an appropriate Premium, usually a mono. The magnums I used were also being used in 3 trips to South Africa ( 96, 98, 2002) so I tried to get them "bloody" before the trips. They are fine for elk "if you can carry it all day and still shoot well at the end". ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/28/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
Mostly spot and stalk, always on foot and packing out on my back,
If in Colorado it's my pre 64 M70 300 H&H ( 180 TTSX) in a Echols legend stock, , in that state that rifle has killed all but one of my elk, so I have to use it.
In Montana and elsewhere it's my pre 64 M70 280AI (145LRX) in a mcm edge stock.
Scoped these rifles weigh just shy of 8lbs. a weight that seems to work best for me.

Off the topic some but what are the specs on your 300 Handwerk.. Just under 8lbs scoped sounds like an awesome build. My little brother is putting together a 300 Win on a 70 right now and I'd like to pass him anything I can to help him get the rifle a bit lighter. His is going into an EDGE shelled Legend as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Fireball2

You are telling me buddy. I hunt in a unit with a 4% success rate. I hunt an over the counter general season tag. A lot of people I know just take their rifles out for walks. BTDT many years myself... My boss goes to montana to hunt elk every year. He says, "those boys have it easy".... He won't hunt elk in this state...

I hunted NV a few years ago and Holy Smokes man, I'll never enjoy elk hunting Oregon again. Ruined me.

LOL
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
383 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.