Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Down here we call it “jewin someone down”

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I haggle over price anywhere, and with anyone, that I possibly can. My old Daddy would roll over in his grave if I did otherwise.........

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If someone offers me too low of a price initially on something, I'll not come down a nickel. I get tired of people acting like they are Pawn Stars or Richard Rawlins. I don't price my stuff with a big cushion to deal with jack wagons offering half and other such nonsense.

If I see something I want, I'll offer a fair price or say what will you take for it right now ect.

Dealing, Haggling ect is fine but just hoping someone will sell something for half of a fair price is insulting at least to me. That said some idiot offers you a rifle at the range for cheap because they can't hit anything with it is great. Always keep cash with you for those situations and if it's a car or motorcycle ect. do the paperwork and get it out of there before they get SHEET in their neck as my old boss would say!

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I started remodeling the house, I went to the closest building supply store and talked to the manager. Told him that if we could reach an agreement on a discount, I would buy all the materials from him, if he had them or could get them. He refused, so I thanked him for his time and left.

If I need a small item, rather than drive the extra distance, I'll stop in a get it there. After a few months of me buying a few building supplies, the manager asked me why I didn't buy more from him. I reminded him of the discount I asked for and told him that another building supply store had worked with me. Just to rub salt in the wound, I also told him that I had spent over $40,000 at the other building supplier and that could have been his business, if he had wanted to work with me. He just shook his head and walked away.

FWIW, the discount the other place gave me was what they call the contractors discount. It's not a lot, but in the long run, it has saved me a few thousand dollars.

Always ask if they'll take less, ask for a rebate, special price if you buy a certain number of items, or a reach a certain dollar amount. The worse they can do is say 'No'.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I stopped in a local pawn shop the other day. I just listened in as a customer worked the pawn broker on a 1911. Got him to come down $40.00 on it. It was a Rock Island. I wonder how many folks never make an effort to save themselves a little money on these deals? It always seems like reasonable brokers are willing to budge a little bit.

I do it all the time on major items... My wife hates to haggle.. I love it... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it's priced well and obviously in good shape, I have no problem paying their asking price. But if it's a pig in a poke, like an old snowblower that they can't even show running, then my price drops substantially. And since I don't need another project I can walk away easily if they won't sell at my offer.

My last best deal was on an 11-87 Sporting Clays (1997 manuf.) in excellent condition. I was actually looking for a youth gun for my daughter and stumbled on his ad. I said "really nice gun but I'm looking for a youth gun for my daughter. Oh well, best of luck selling it."

I waited a day.

I emailed again saying "Damn, that's a really nice gun. Too bad my gun budget isn't anywhere near your price."

His reply "How much is your gun budget?"

I said honestly "only 70% of what you're asking."

His reply "If you want to split shipping, it's yours."

Sold!

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I walked away from a deal on a place yesterday because two realtors and a seller couldn't figure out how to structure the sale to meet our needs. The asking price was fine, but it required some very minor creative paperwork, and no one was motivated to do it. I wasn't asking for anything illegal.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you should see my brother.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Pawn stars??? Pffft

I know of NO pawn shop around this military base that says “hey I wanna give you best price, lemme bring a consultant in”

BWAHAHAHAHA

Blood suckers here will tag a used pos savage axis for higher than a new one off the rack at Walmart.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to go to a shop that had the price they paid for used guns as part of the stock number. Interesting once I figured it out.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 16bore
Used to go to a shop that had the price they paid for used guns as part of the stock number. Interesting once I figured it out.

That'd be good information to have!

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm traveling and want to stay in a mid-sized town I look for a decent looking Indian owned motel. If the parking lot is only about half full and it is late afternoon they will deal for cash. If it's a chain like Holiday Inn Express they usually won't take cash and don't deal. Very often lodging will come down in price if you point out you're over 65 and won't be tearing up their room. It never hurts to ask if they will take less for cash.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 007FJ
I get tired of people acting like they are Pawn Stars or Richard Rawlins. I don't price my stuff with a big cushion to deal with jack wagons offering half and other such nonsense.

The best are on the FB sale sites when someone low balls you and you either say no or counter with a small price reduction, then they say "but I know a guy selling the same thing for half that and it's in nicer shape than yours! So that is what I'm willing to pay!"

Well dipshit, go by the nicer one for half price then!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 16bore

I always check the tag On used guns for that reason. A shop I used to work at did the same thing.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Pawn stars??? Pffft

I know of NO pawn shop around this military base that says “hey I wanna give you best price, lemme bring a consultant in”

BWAHAHAHAHA

Blood suckers here will tag a used pos savage axis for higher than a new one off the rack at Walmart.

Used to be a pawn shop in Zachary, La. that had a sign, 'This aint Wal Mart'. He'd have a beater rifle for sale and ask more for it than a new one. IIRC, the owner went to the pen for some kind of firearm dealings. It had something to do with fully automatic firearms, I think.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hastings
If I'm traveling and want to stay in a mid-sized town I look for a decent looking Indian owned motel. If the parking lot is only about half full and it is late afternoon they will deal for cash. If it's a chain like Holiday Inn Express they usually won't take cash and don't deal. Very often lodging will come down in price if you point out you're over 65 and won't be tearing up their room. It never hurts to ask if they will take less for cash.

Save $30

Catch bedbugs

Sounds like a great plan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
Art of the haggle ???
Wtf is that????

Ask the Amish,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Haggling and negotiations are both science and art.

My grandfather would have my brother and I split a candy bar. One would cut it in two pieces. The other would choose which piece.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I stopped at a shop just before Christmas just for the heck of it. A sign on the door said 50% off store wide. They had a mid 60’s vintage M700 long action rifle that was tagged $550. He offered it to me for $275. I didn’t need the rifle so that’s as far as it went. If it would have been a short action I would have left with it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (19rabbit52, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 32 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,366
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.