Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
OP Offline
K
After perusing the various threads on custom gunmakers here for several years, I thought I'd add some pictures of a rifle my father had made by Pete Grisel prior to his joining Don Allen with Dakota. Pete did the wood and metal work on this rifle, a .270 Win built on an Argentine 1909 action. Dad wanted a lightweight rifle, and this fit the bill. A stock which was lightened internally in the buttstock (can't recall if one or two holes bored under the butt pad), honeycombed (for lack of better term) magazine, capped hollow bolt, and turned down barrel. Pete stated at the time that it was the best checkering job he had done, and it is flawless....no waves, no overruns, etc, in the fleur de lis pattern. I could go on and on, but I'll end saying that it is in the same condition as the day he picked it up from Pete, as he continued to hunt with another custom rifle he just couldn't move away from. As I recall, this rifle has had less than 100 rounds down the tube.

Unfortunately, Photobucket isn't allowing me to upload all the pictures I took of the other side of the rifle....odd. However, I will say that this rifle is for sale, as we are thinning out some of Dad's rifles after his passing. Other pictures are available upon request.

Click here for slideshow: Pete Grisel Rife Pics

Attached Images
IMG_1821.jpeg (18.29 KB, 956 downloads)
Last edited by kigercreek; 01/28/20.

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun...or to fish with a wimpy fly rod.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
beauty...that would be very hard to sell.

K
OP Offline
K
Yes, it is a bit difficult. I am keeping one custom rifle he hunted the most with, also in pristine condition even after numerous backcountry blacktail and mule deer, antelope, elk and sheep hunts. (Not sure how many times I heard him say "Sacrifice the body to save the rifle.") While the Grisel does fit me quite well and some of the best wood work I've seen (I have been discouraged over the years seeing rifles by top names with crooked pistol grips, sling swivel studs and checkering patterns off center, etc.), it just doesn't hold the memories and personal significance the other rifles do.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful rifle and just about perfect checkering. That would be hard to part with.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
K
OP Offline
K
Yes, the checkering and inletting are as close to perfection as a rifle can be. Everything about it is sharp, and the bedding tight. I just found a target with the first 5-shot group shot with it the day my dad picked it up....3/4". A number of shots later, with Pete Grisel standing there encouraging him to "keep shooting" a very hot barrel, provided a 1 3/16" group. I recall the barrel being so hot that some "wet" oil was evident in the wood.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pete didn't build rifles to sit in a gun safe. The best thing you could do with this rifle is create countless memories hunting with it. That's why he built it.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
That rifle is absolutely beautiful. If you sell it, you might regret it down the line. Would be hard to replace in todays market of plastic hunting rifles. I've watched the slide show several times, just beautiful, I wish I could afford it.

K
OP Offline
K
That wasn't the only custom rifle of Dad's....this is the only one I'm selling. I'm adding to the memories made with other rifles. smile

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sorry for the loss of your father. That's beautiful workmanship on the rifle. Do you know the length of pull?

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Sorry for the loss of your father. That's beautiful workmanship on the rifle. Do you know the length of pull?

I need to measure it again to make sure my memory serves me right. The rifle is at my mother's; I will be there in the next day or two and double check.

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

“Factio democratica delenda est"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O

Beautiful rifle! Also neat to see the scripture reference tucked away in the inlet.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

That’s a beauty!

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have one of Pete's old projects and am pleased with it greatly.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

That’s a great one too Dan. Very nice rifle!

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by beretzs

Details Dan?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think Pete Grisel was the leading influence on the Dakota rifle stock. Don Allen or his talented employees may have trimmed it down some but still mostly Grisel's lines. All of the above rifles are world class beauties.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by beretzs

Details Dan?

7x57 put together in concert with Don Allen just prior to Dakota Arms opening its doors for business.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Nice!

I cannot tell from the photo, Mauser?

What's she weigh?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mauser, about 7#, never felt the need to weigh it.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.