Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Go with either. Having spent my entire adult life either hunting in Alaska by dog team or snow machine, or field training exercises in the dead of winter at fort greely, and training at the black rapids northern warfare training center: better time could be spent discussing the methods of handling firearms in the cold:

I test lubricants in 30-50 below. When most are hiding near their TV, or reading worthless gun magazines beside toyo stoves, I'm seeing what works in this miserable weather.

Clean all residual oil out of every part. Don't bring firearms inside, where condesation will gather in the warmth. Use faster burning powders and forgo some velocity for lower pressures. Steel is brittle in the extreme cold. Lower pressures are good.
I don't care for graphite lube. It is bad for your lungs and is marginal.

The best I've used so far: Amsoil 0 weight oil. It will pour out of a jug at 50 below. Learn from my pain: coat your gun parts with that...

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No question that I would go with the Ruger, in stainless. Better corrosion resistance, better gas venting, a company that is actually in business and doing things right, right here in America.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would go with a Classic post 64 action myself. For your uses a stainless one would be a plus. As far as functioning in extreme conditions I would say Mauser first and then it would be a toss up between Pre/Post 70 and Ruger 77. I might give a slight edge to the 70s due to the safety. The Nitride finish would just about eliminate the advantage of stainless, in fact better in my opinion. All of them will be comparable if finished out well after cycling the action for about a 1,000 times they will be similar in smoothness. Part of the reputation of the pre-64 smoothness is because most that you see have been cycled several thousand times as opposed to the newer M70s.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No question that I would go with the Ruger, in stainless.

I too, and am currently doing that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Didn't someone write once (possibly Mule Deer) that a lot of Alaskan Guides use .338 Rugers……..

Last edited by Elvis; 01/28/20.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I would choose the 77RS over the pre-'64 for the same reason--but would choose a good 98 Mauser action over either, for at least one additional reason. But that's me.

Good to know I'm on the right track JB but if I went with a Mauser it would be an FN with the safety on the cocking piece like my 338-06 is. Least ways I wouldn't have to lengthen the mag and grind out part of the ramp. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would choose the 77RS over the pre-'64 for the same reason--but would choose a good 98 Mauser action over either, for at least one additional reason. But that's me.

What is the "one additional reason" for the Mauser?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Tejano
As far as functioning in extreme conditions I would say Mauser first and then it would be a toss up between Pre/Post 70 and Ruger 77. I might give a slight edge to the 70s due to the safety.

For what reasons would you consider the Mod70 safety more reliable in extreme weather? That would not correlate with my personal experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Maybe the undercut on the bolt for the extractor that makes it grip tighter?

I stayed away from Mausers since the OP didn't list them and I didn't want to be scolded.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

+1

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pappy,

"Maybe the undercut on the bolt for the extractor that makes it grip tighter?"

Exactly. But I resisted mentioning a 98 action on this thread for quite a while, partly because I prefer sticking to the original question. But eventually I just couldn't resist...

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As much as I like the M 70, I will say a well used Ruger makes a slicker and quicker operating rifle , at least partially due to the spring loaded bolt stop which gives the forward movement an initial assist.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
both are good actions ,which barreled action/ cartridge do you dislike the most ? that`s the one i would rebarrel.

Last edited by pete53; 01/30/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As much as folks like to claim the coned breech of the M70 is a design fault, for flawless feeding its pretty slick. And more than a few VERY experienced hunters/guides worldwide found and still do, that the old 70 has a track record in the field that can't be denied.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
But eventually I just couldn't resist...

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TX35W
Alright...looks like I'm going old school. Y'all sure do like to spend my money!

Well, yeah...

Duh..

After all, this is the Fire, known enablers, par excellence... cool

Pre-64, hands down.

DF

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TX35W: I have made and own MANY custom Rifles - several are built on pre-64 Winchester Model 70 actions.
Never even thought of using the Ruger MK-2 for a custom Rifle build.
Go with the pre-64 Winchester Model 70 - it will be worth more once completed and the safety, strength, handsomeness and cartridge capacity issues all also lead to the Winchester!
ALL... of my custom Rifles built on pre-64 Winchester Model 70 actions are VERY accurate, reliable, great looking and desirable!
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would think a guy could source one of the stainless Rugers made in 35 Whelen, and there wouldn't be any need to "build" anything to have the best gun available. Life is easy, don't make it hard.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Pappy,

"Maybe the undercut on the bolt for the extractor that makes it grip tighter?"

Exactly. But I resisted mentioning a 98 action on this thread for quite a while, partly because I prefer sticking to the original question. But eventually I just couldn't resist...

Could a Ruger be so modified by a machinist to have the undercut? Could use a Mauser extractor then?

T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Mule Deer: Other than the gas venting, what is the additional reason? I've only handled mid-grade commercial mausers and they were a lot rougher than a ruger.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.