Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just thought I'd pass this on, take it for what's it's worth. smile

If you're like me, you have a camo shirt or pants that the colors are fading. Or, maybe you just want to dye a favorite light colored shirt. I know there are commercial dyes and I'll be honest, I never tried any of them. So, I cant say they are good or bad. But if you want a really good natural dye, that I think works excellent, try black walnut hulls.

Yep, the same natural dye used on traps. I have a old camo long sleeve shirt, that is as comfortable as they come, that had faded to almost white in places. A couple of years ago, my son told me the shirt stood out in the woods rather than blend in. I was getting some black walnuts ready to plant and had this pile of hulls. Wishing I had my traps ready to dye made me think of the shirt. So I threw the hulls in a bucket of water, stirred/crushed them till the water was almost black, and threw in the shirt. Left it for a day or so, then took it out to dry.

What color it is depends on what you are standing around. If your standing next to something brown, the shirt has a dull green shade. If standing next to something green, it has a dull brown shade.

My son says that it is the best camo color he's ever seen.

Just my .02

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's good to know. Do you think walnut case cleaning media would work? I have a couple sets of Army issued green digital camo that could stand to be a few shades darker.
Also, how does this method stand up to washing?

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
That's good to know. Do you think walnut case cleaning media would work? I have a couple sets of Army issued green digital camo that could stand to be a few shades darker.
Also, how does this method stand up to washing?

The walnurtumbling media is crushed walnut shell. What you want for stain / dye is the husks (outer covering).. somewhere around here, I've got a recipe for drying cloth with plant based dyes, and I think you really need to "set" the dye with something so it doesn't bleed out. Vinegar, maybe?

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used Rit Dye in a few instances with good results. I usually used the green or the brown to refurb a faded piece of camo. 100% cotton works the best. I just used the washer on Hot/Cold and then just pulled the stop button in the middle of the wash cycle and let it sit for an hour or two. By the time it was done rinsing, the washer was clean and the clothes were done.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[quote=River_Ridge]That's good to know. Do you think walnut case cleaning media would work? I have a couple sets of Army issued green digital camo that could stand to be a few shades darker.
Also, how does this method stand up to washing?[/quote

RR, I wash my hunting clothes in baking soda in cold water. This shirt has been washed 3 or 4 times and is holding up good. I guess time will tell

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ah yes, walnut husks. I remember those. Way back in the 50's when I was in grade school, a friend of mine got ringworm on his head. His mother was a DIY type. She cut his hair real short, painted it with juice from walnut hunks (nice shade of yellow) and made him wear a skull cap made from one of her old nylon stockings for weeks. He was as thrilled about it as you might expect. I don't remember if it cured the ringworm, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I wonder what the husks from pecan shells would do. I’d have to think they’d be about the same.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The walnut shells work best if allowed to turn black. The original army grunt uniforms were dyed olive drab with walnut husks. Adding steel wool will make it darker and browner. Borax fixes it but the colors can shift, test before using. Either experiment or use walnut only. You can buy the husk powder on line.

Pecan husks result in a browner stain, sometimes olive drab but not sure why the color shifts. I know my hands are a yellow brown after husking a bunch.

Both of these are more fade resistant than things like Rit Dye. Something to do during the off season.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
The walnut shells work best if allowed to turn black. The original army grunt uniforms were dyed olive drab with walnut husks. Adding steel wool will make it darker and browner. Borax fixes it but the colors can shift, test before using. Either experiment or use walnut only. You can buy the husk powder on line.

Pecan husks result in a browner stain, sometimes olive drab but not sure why the color shifts. I know my hands are a yellow brown after husking a bunch.

Both of these are more fade resistant than things like Rit Dye. Something to do during the off season.

What do you mean by color 'shifting'?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Here is a link to info about mordants and modifiers. These can change the color of the fabric and also make it more colorfast https://www.fiberartsy.com/iron-mordant-recipe/ If you wanted to get really artsy-fartsy you could tye dye with different modifiers and then Eco print leaves in different shades over all. Here is a link for Eco Printing leaves. https://www.fiberartsy.com/eco-printing-fabric/ You could sell these at the Safari Club and Shot Show Expo's. all the trophy wives would want one.

I friend that does Tye Dye T-Shirts gave me one of her rejects as it turned grey, it turns out to be great camouflage for West Texas and has become my lucky mule deer shirt.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 75 invisible), 3,031 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.