Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thursday evening, I was just finishing up dinner with my two oldest kids. My wife was feeling unwell and feeding our four-week-old baby in bed. I had just gotten the icecream out for the kids when the doorbell rang.

I opened the door to see a number of police officers outside. They served me with a search warrant under Section 6 of the Search and Surveillance Act 2012. Half a dozen armed police officers swarmed in the front door (holstered sidearms only) as several more ran around the sides of the house.
They later called for more backup as the house was larger than your average state-house drug lab. I got the impression that they’d never had to raid a middle-class suburban house like mine before. Everyone on the property was detained, read their rights, and questioned separately. I opted to call a lawyer who advised me to refuse to answer any questions.

The warrant claimed they had reason to believe I was in possession of a prohibited magazine fitted to a “.22RL lever-action rifle. Blued metal, brown wooden stock.” The officer told me I had posted about it online, which I had—in my public written submission against the Firearms Amendment Act passed last year.
That submission was shared on several blogs and social media. I had used the firearm as an example to prove the legislation was not targeting “military-style assault weapons” as the media, prime minister, and her cabinet repeated ad nauseum. The vast majority of firearms affected by the legislation were just like mine.

I thought nothing more of my little example to the select committee. It was no longer in my possession when the police raided my house. They departed empty-handed after turning the place inside out for ninety minutes and left me with my firearms and a visibly shaken wife who broke down in tears. Thankfully, the kids didn’t quite get what was going on—but I realized after that they had gone to bed without ice cream.

I’ve been vocal about the amnesty being a disaster, and the police were rather open about the failure of the whole process. Maybe if they stopped raiding innocent people’s houses there might have been some more good will? They implied that they’d keep having to raid the houses of people I knew until the firearm turned up. This is for an A-Category firearm, which I have no reason to believe is fitted with a prohibited magazine! Are these the kind of intimidation tactics now the norm in New Zealand? Are we going to accept this in a first-world democracy?

This is for a lever-action .22LR that’s designed to hit paper or be used to hunt bunnies. What happened to going after the “weapons designed to kill people” as the police minister Stuart Nash has claimed?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The implications of this are rather stunning. I took the photo and publicized the details about this firearm as part of the select committee process. This good-faith evidence was used by the police as a justification for their raid. Do we now live in a country where public evidence given to a select committee will be used against you to suit the political purposes of the police?

Anyone who’s publicly talked about or posted a picture of their grandfather’s little .22LR pump/lever action can get raided, as these rifles all had 10+ capacity prior to the draconian new rules. Admitting you had one a year ago is reason enough to warrant a raid on your property today.

I suppose it’s no coincidence that I pointed out in an article last month just how bad the numbers are when it comes to compliance. When I said that New Zealand gun owners aren’t “rolling over for anybody”, this is not quite what I had in mind—again, why raid the guy publicly pointing out the truth?

I’ve been vocal about my opposition to many of this government’s policies. I live a very conservative life and hold traditional conservative views which I am public about. I’ve never promoted non-compliance and was rather shocked by how low the numbers really were. This left me wondering: was this a politically motivated action by someone high-up in the bureaucracy ordered to make examples?

https://thebfd.co.nz/2020/01/breaking-the-raids-have-begun-all-for-a-22-bunny-gun

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
At least the Kiwis get another election in September to try and remove the gun banners from power.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BowRiverFlyGuy
At least the Kiwis get another election in September to try and remove the gun banners from power.

True, but the gun banners were elected by the Kiwis.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I before E except after C.......

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by watch4bear

True, but the gun banners were elected by the Kiwis.

America elected Obama, so there's always a chance to correct errors.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

we should have obamas errors corrected in about 35 years grin

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There won’t be any going back and correcting the mistake once they ban guns. Banning guns is just the first step. After that they’ll ban gun owners, followed by banning free speech and banning free thought and finally banning free-dom. You get the idea. They want you in the position of where you can not fight back.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, I first got the impression this happened in Wasilla, Alaska based on the OP's stated location. As it progressed, it appeared as though there was some alluding to a similarity with New Zealand. By the time I got to the end, it appeared as though this all occurred in New Zealand. Please tell me all of this occurred in New Zealand and that we haven't lost Alaska. Either way, this is a window into what we will face if the people on the left have their way. I'm guessing Virginia is or will be our test case.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Quote ;

'''Are these the kind of intimidation tactics now the norm in New Zealand? Are we going to accept this in a first-world democracy?'''

LAF - hell yes you are because nobody is going to do chitt except talk and whine .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just off the top of my head, everything proposed in VA has been done somewhere else already. Even the one handgun a month limit was once in effect in...wait for it..........Virginia!

Northam is limited to one term, but the guy up next for the Dems is probably worse, an accused rapist instead of merely an Al Jolsen wannabe. Those jokers made it through their scandals unscathed with the help of the press, but let's face it, they WERE elected. The next statewide election will be interesting, even to me because the border is only about two miles away and I do a lot of shopping there, for now anyway.

Also not sure how many of the counties that have been mentioned as possible defectors to WV I really want joining us. There's a fair number of liberals in Frederick County at least.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
At least they rang the doorbell first. If the liberals in this country would have had their way a SWAT team would have kicked the door in at 2 in the morning.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BL22
Got one just like it. First rifle I purchased new at 16 years old.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
So, I first got the impression this happened in Wasilla, Alaska based on the OP's stated location. As it progressed, it appeared as though there was some alluding to a similarity with New Zealand. By the time I got to the end, it appeared as though this all occurred in New Zealand. Please tell me all of this occurred in New Zealand and that we haven't lost Alaska. Either way, this is a window into what we will face if the people on the left have their way. I'm guessing Virginia is or will be our test case.

He didn't make it clear he was quoting a news report.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That's the model the Democrats want to put in place here.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by IMR4350
At least they rang the doorbell first. If the liberals in this country would have had their way a SWAT team would have kicked the door in at 2 in the morning.

Then shot all your dogs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Northam is limited to one term, but the guy up next for the Dems is probably worse, an accused rapist instead of merely an Al Jolsen wannabe. Those jokers made it through their scandals unscathed with the help of the press, but let's face it, they WERE elected. The next statewide election will be interesting, even to me because the border is only about two miles away and I do a lot of shopping there, for now anyway.
People usually vote for likeable jackasses, not realists because realists will tell you when you're being an idiot.

Politics is War by Other Means
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Even if the laws are overturned you will never get back your gun that is already cut up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
That's the model the Democrats want to put in place here.

Ain't that the truth....... And they love to go after law abiding, tax paying citizens so they can "make an example" of them. All so they can brag about "fighting crime", as all the real criminals get left alone to go about their business as usual. That's how all our heroic crime fighters operate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is scary in that it shows just how little the anti2A nuts understand about firearms.
I was thinking it was a .22 conversion kit, not an attached magazine...

But then there was that stupid NYC kid (last name of Sorkin) from a centric News org, that wrote an anti-2A "open letter" a few months ago.

It just shows what a lack of education and training related to firearms can produce..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

He didn't make it clear he was quoting a news report.

Ahhhh. I was right. It's a forehead slapper. Note to self: When posting a story written by someone else in a first person narrative, identify the speaker/writer/source at the beginning.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 01/28/20.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.