Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Cascadia Fault Line...When this subsections decides to heavho...Shît gonna get real sporty for those of us on the coast...😎

I used to have a place north of Tillamook, they said we had about 5 minutes to get up high when that one goes. Now I live just North of a super volcano .. so there is that laugh

RockyRaab and I discussed this at length on an earlier thread...We both suggested getting the finest bottle of liquor made.

Drinking half now, putting the rest away for the big moment...Something about going out with an excellent glass of high dollar scotch in your hand has an appeal.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by ironbender
FWIW, the Richter scale of magnitude is no longer used.

Richter only goes to 10. Seismologists believe a quake of greater than 10 magnitude is possible.

Moment magnitude is similar.

Thanks IB.

After studying a bit I can see where the Moment of Magnitude scale more accurately measures the quakes energy. The scales are similar but different. The MofM scale would more accurately measure Big Ones.

👍😎

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Cascadia Fault Line...When this subsections decides to heavho...Shît gonna get real sporty for those of us on the coast...😎

I used to have a place north of Tillamook, they said we had about 5 minutes to get up high when that one goes. Now I live just North of a super volcano .. so there is that laugh

RockyRaab and I discussed this at length on an earlier thread...We both suggested getting the finest bottle of liquor made.

Drinking half now, putting the rest away for the big moment...Something about going out with an excellent glass of high dollar scotch in your hand has an appeal.

😎

Only one flaw in that scenario. The assumption that half the bottle would be left when the big one cuts loose....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
They beggin' for aide before the first wave hit?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
And there will be more.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Jaguartx: I will.
Also, I despise kalifornicationkopia and kalifornicationkopians to the extreme but I do not wish to see them all drown't in the Pacific - the United States of America would more than likely be better off should that happen but to much human carnage would be involved..
But I take it you are being humorous.
I'll get back to you on the frequency thing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I'm not saying I want that, but with the evidence of the frequency of EQs happening I worry, and I wonder if a 5 or 6 or 7 would instigate calamity.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by watch4bear
72 miles off the coast (good thing) tsunami warning

I'm not an expert, but if a wave travels let say 5MPH, that would be on shore in about 15 minute ????????

I think the wave can move hundreds of miles per hour in the open ocean.

True. Seismic waves can travel close to the speed of sound through open ocean water.

Yes, but the frequency of those waves is in a very narrow, vary high frequency band. Not the area of damaging waves on land.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Yes it is, Beav. Faults that break with horizontal movement don't generate tsunamis. Those that shift vertically, with either a rise or drop of the sea floor, do. So can underwater landslides with or without a 'quake.

Yes, search Lituya Bay 1958 for a big one!

I fished out of Lituya in 1980 which was the "understood" period of the release. Nothing happened and has not happened since.

But the waves flushed the mountainside clear and showed clearly 22 years later. Impressive is an understatement.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Yes it is, Beav. Faults that break with horizontal movement don't generate tsunamis. Those that shift vertically, with either a rise or drop of the sea floor, do. So can underwater landslides with or without a 'quake.

The 1958 Lituya Bay earthquake occurred at July 9 at 22:15:58 with a moment magnitude of 7.8 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of XI (Extreme). The strike-slip earthquake took place on the Fairweather Fault and triggered a rockslide of 40 million cubic yards (30 million cubic meters and about 90 million tons) into the narrow inlet of Lituya Bay, Alaska. The impact was heard 50 miles (80 km) away,[6] and the sudden displacement of water resulted in a megatsunami that washed out trees to a maximum elevation of 1,720 feet (524 meters) at the entrance of Gilbert Inlet.[7] This is the largest and most significant megatsunami in modern times; it forced a re-evaluation of large-wave events and the recognition of impact events, rockfalls, and landslides as causes of very large waves.

A 2010 model examined the amount of infill on the floor of the bay, which was many times larger than that of the rockfall alone, and also the energy and height of the waves. Scientists concluded that there had been a "dual slide" involving a rockfall which also triggered a release of 5 to 10 times its volume of sediment trapped by the adjacent Lituya Glacier, a ratio comparable with other events where this "dual slide" effect is known to have happened. Lituya Bay has a history of megatsunami events, but the 1958 event was the first for which sufficient data was captured at the time.[8][9]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't you know, Greta has told us and AOC backs it up!! It is climate change(need sarcasm font)

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The Caribbean is a sh1th0le of old slave stops, salt mines and pirate hides.
A good size meteor right in the middle would be nice clean it out up to Hialeah down to Bonaire.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

The 1958 Lituya Bay earthquake occurred at July 9 at 22:15:58 with a moment magnitude of 7.8 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of XI (Extreme). The strike-slip earthquake took place on the Fairweather Fault and triggered a rockslide of 40 million cubic yards (30 million cubic meters and about 90 million tons) into the narrow inlet of Lituya Bay, Alaska. The impact was heard 50 miles (80 km) away,[6] and the sudden displacement of water resulted in a megatsunami that washed out trees to a maximum elevation of 1,720 feet (524 meters) at the entrance of Gilbert Inlet.[7] This is the largest and most significant megatsunami in modern times; it forced a re-evaluation of large-wave events and the recognition of impact events, rockfalls, and landslides as causes of very large waves.

A 2010 model examined the amount of infill on the floor of the bay, which was many times larger than that of the rockfall alone, and also the energy and height of the waves. Scientists concluded that there had been a "dual slide" involving a rockfall which also triggered a release of 5 to 10 times its volume of sediment trapped by the adjacent Lituya Glacier, a ratio comparable with other events where this "dual slide" effect is known to have happened. Lituya Bay has a history of megatsunami events, but the 1958 event was the first for which sufficient data was captured at the time.[8][9]

The lapmarks from that and prior tsunamis showed clearly in 2010 when I last drove a boat by it. It is impressive.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
No doubt very impressive. I've read accounts of boat survivors of the '58 event.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Wow, right between Cuba and Jamaica. What a great opportunity!

I don't follow.

An opportunity to wipe out both pest holes

Sam......

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.