Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
2012 F-150 w/EcoBoost. Towing a camper (3300 lbs dry) and minimal load in the truck's bed.

Which upgrade would make the most sense?

We will be making a trek from South Dakota to Fairbanks in April, so I'd like the best ride possible for the investment.

https://www.suspensionconnection.com/59568-f150-air-springs.html

https://www.eaz-lift.com/product-page/eaz-lift-1000lb-elite-hitch-kit

(Not the exact products I am necessarily wanting to get, but simply examples of each)

Done it all to my Dodge 2500, the two biggest things you can do, airbags and swap out the wheels and tires for 19.5 commercial tires. Expensive, but when you go over dips and bumps, those thick sidewalls make all the difference in the world.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I thought about the matching wheel size trick ( have a second set of wheels plus a few, but I would have had to mill out the centerholes to clear the bearing caps.
I have 17" wheels on both my pickup and trailer. However, the ones on the pickup are 8 hole while the trailer is 6 hole. That doesn't matter as long as the diameter and width will match. Of course the spares aren't interchangeable.

Noted, I was going to do the matching wheel thing, just because I had them.

OP,
If you don't already have it grab a plug kit and a compressor or pump. As contender (my name is autocorrect and i am more frustrating than a virus) said tires are better, but on the other hand people are more rushed. I wound up with two different nails in my trailer tires last time I took it on a long run.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 01/27/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Both

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
2012 F-150 w/EcoBoost. Towing a camper (3300 lbs dry) and minimal load in the truck's bed.

Which upgrade would make the most sense?

We will be making a trek from South Dakota to Fairbanks in April, so I'd like the best ride possible for the investment.

https://www.suspensionconnection.com/59568-f150-air-springs.html

https://www.eaz-lift.com/product-page/eaz-lift-1000lb-elite-hitch-kit

(Not the exact products I am necessarily wanting to get, but simply examples of each)

Equalizer.... You don't need air bags..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
After all or your fella's advice and lengthy research, I think the best money spent is on the hitch and quality tires. Thanks!

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Both. You need the airbags anyway.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Somebody should tell those idiots that haul the camper trailers out of Indiana about some of these products. Lights pointed up blinding oncoming traffic. Driving 55 when everyone else drives 70.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
He doesn't need the bags unless he carries enough weight in the bed to make it sag.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by logcutter
Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tires are my choice.There tuff for a trailer tire and I've never had or seen a blowout with them...

I hope you're just being sarcastic. Carlisle trailer tires are so bad that Carlise only warrantees them for 2 years and Discount Tire quit selling them.

No,I have had very good luck with them..Read this review..

Trailer tire review

The problem with trailer tires is that they are the most abused tire out there..There not taken care of and kept out of the sun and rarely is the air pressure checked before taking off.Because they sit for long periods without use,they should be covered from the sun and the pressure kept up..I think people abuse there RV tires more than they abuse their batteries..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
He doesn't need the bags unless he carries enough weight in the bed to make it sag....
...a lot... That trailer might have a tongue wt. of about 350#... That F150 won't even know it's there..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Redneck
He doesn't need the bags unless he carries enough weight in the bed to make it sag....
...a lot... That trailer might have a tongue wt. of about 350#... That F150 won't even know it's there..

I now concur with this after watching some engineers and such explaining the physics behind it all. It makes much more sense, now.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P

Air bags do NOT shift weight to the front axel, they simply raise the rear-end. Very interesting

Last edited by Pahntr760; 01/27/20.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The real trick is balancing /distributing the weight in the trailer to achieve your target tongue weight. Note that this will go out of spec on hill climbs/decents...

Thats why it is good to have a system for how you stow your gear to maintain trim.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 01/27/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
The real trick is balancing /distributing the weight in the trailer to achieve your target tongue weight. Note that this will go out of spec on hill climbs/decents...

Thats why it is good to have a system for how you stow your gear to maintain trim.

Excellent point, thanks for sharing!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO if you use a half ton made these days as a truck or tow heavy loads air bags and an equalizing hitch are both must haves. The suspension of today’s half tons are getting softer and softer, and unless you want to drive around with the nose of your truck pointed toward the sky you gotta have those two things.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Air bags suck empty, they always have to have a few pounds in them. I tow a 10k toy hauler with a distribution hitch and it tow fine even though the weight is balanced as well as it should be. I second getting good tires, OEM tires are always the least they can get away with and never as heavy as they should be.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
There is an air bag brand that allows zero air for OEM ride quality. Essentially have a bump stop inside. Can’t recall the brand at the moment.
I know some fill is needed, especially here, to avoid cracking in the cold.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
I read through 6 pages of suggestions and there's some good ones. I'm far from being a trailer towing expert but have learned a few basic things over the years from towing travel trailers, boats, car trailers, vehicles, dump trailers and utility trailers:

1) The tow vehicle should be level when towing. I see 1/2 ton pickups towing trailers all the time with the rear end squatted down and the front end aimed at the sky. This changes the front end geometry and be very dangerous. Usually when you see this the truck is overloaded with too much weight on the back tires.
2) The trailer should be level so the weight is equally distributed between the tires. I had equalizer hitches on my travel trailers.
3) Any trailer should have more weight on the tongue so it won't sway.
4) If you have trailer brakes make sure they are working before you head out. No surge brakes.
5) Check all your tire pressures and your trailer lights before you head out.
6) If pulling your pickup with a tow bar don't put any weight in the back of the bed. If you do it's just like pulling a trailer without enough tongue weight

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I believe I am going to toss a set of these under the truck, in leu of the bags.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/product...g/monroe-load-adjusting-shock-absorbers/

I also found some "TPMS" add-ons that will be installed on the trailer, just to keep an active eye on them as we go.

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
This video is pure BS! Those guys are selling air bags. If they had fully deflated the air bags and set the lift bars correctly the truck would be level and the weight would have been transferred to the front tires. When I bought my first load leveling hitch in 1974 the company that made them had a front wheel drive car (Oldsmobile Toronado I think) with one of their hitches on it. They hooked a travel trailer up to the car, removed both rear wheels and drove the car around to demonstrate how well their load leveling hitch worked.

I found an old pic of a Toronado with a load leveling hitch and no rear wheels/tires but couldn't figure out how to post it here.

Last edited by victoro; 01/31/20.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 56 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,637
Posts18,455,290
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.