Print Thread
Hop To
O
Old_Man Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I just found a shop that sells Swiss Black Powder as well as Goex. I've only recently entertained any notion of trying it out, since the only thing I knew to be dependable in flintlocks was real black.

Well, I bought a pound of Swiss 2F and was wondering if anyone on Campfire has any idea of the cocsistancy, accuracy potential, and/or if it fairs any better when conditions get a little wet? Thank you in advance for any information.

Youthful enthusiasm is replaced by old age and treachery!
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I was given a lb of 1 1/2 f Swiss by a guy that owns (but doesn't shoot} a 45/70 black powder cartridge gun. I tried it in my .54 cal cap gun, and it works well. Have not tried it in my flinters yet. It has a bit crisper report and is pretty clean. On another site, a guy says the charcoal used in the manufacture of Swiss powders is made from stands of select alder hand-picked by Gypsies. So that is the reason it is so much better.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Have never tried it in a muzzleloader but for BP Cartridges
it is the gold standard for accuracy! Have been using it in 1 1/2
version in my CPA Stevens 44 1/2 38-55 for 17 yrs. now with
no complaints

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Old_Man
. I've only recently entertained any notion of trying it out, since the only thing I knew to be dependable in flintlocks was real black.

I don't know what you're thinking there, but Swiss is true black powder and, like the other poster said, is the gold standard.

Some shooters avoid it because of the cost. Quality doesn't come cheap.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Dang good powder!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shoot 80grs of Swiss 2f in my 54cal long rifle with patched roundball and get excellent accuracy. Seems to shoot much cleaner than other powders. Never had a problem with ignition but I admit, I'm a fair weather hunter so haven't tried it in the rain.

NRA Life Member
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Can you post the name of the shop and where it is, I'm always looking for a place to buy BP

O
Old_Man Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by Frank_K
Can you post the name of the shop and where it is, I'm always looking for a place to buy BP

Sure Frank. The shop is called Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton Pa. They also host a muzzleloading fair each July which has quite a draw with the black powder crowd,(includi ng me). I mention that in case you have a wild hair to visit the little shop that might be the time to do so. They have all manner of things there, including the custom gunmakers themselves!

O
Old_Man Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by Paul39
. I've only recently entertained any notion of trying it out, since the only thing I knew to be dependable in flintlocks was real black.

I don't know what you're thinking there, but Swiss is true black powder and, like the other poster said, is the gold standard.

Paul

I'm sorry you miscontrue my meaning Paul. I didn't intend to allude that Swiss was not real black powder, only that it was so new to me that I hadn't heard of it. (And I agree, quality doesn't come cheap)

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Anyone here ever compare it to Old Eynsford? I have used Old Eynsford and I dont think the patch gets quite as gunked up. I think it is slightly more accurate than Goex, but still not sure.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The place I buy my powder has regular Goex and OE, and after reading a couple of glowing reviews I've settled on OE, as the price difference is minimal. I think it burns cleaner, and reportedly it's a bit more energetic.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Frank_K

Sure Frank. The shop is called Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton Pa. They also host a muzzleloading fair each July which has quite a draw with the black powder crowd,(includi ng me). I mention that in case you have a wild hair to visit the little shop that might be the time to do so. They have all manner of things there, including the custom gunmakers themselves!

Dixons is a great place for anyone looking to get into shooting black powder. Good selection of parts for the builder barrels,stocks, triggers you name it.Goex and Swiss powders. The owners are great folks I can't recommend them highly enough. Take the trip if only to shop but I will bet you won't leave empty handed there are just too many goodies. If you can at all manage go to the Gunmakers Fair in July.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Paul39

Paul

"Quality doesn't come cheap."

That goes triple for rifles!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
it makes a lot of sense that Swiss is better cause it uses Willow. When I burn Willow in my wood boiler, it does not last long but it burns very clean and is nothing left but a whitish type ash from what I remember. I got some on accident cause it looked like hardwood bark and was darn heavy , but was from water in it.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.