Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dess
Haggling and negotiations are both science and art.

My grandfather would have my brother and I split a candy bar. One would cut it in two pieces. The other would choose which piece.

Didn't some old wise Jewish guy want to do that with a sword and a baby?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Dess
Haggling and negotiations are both science and art.

My grandfather would have my brother and I split a candy bar. One would cut it in two pieces. The other would choose which piece.

Didn't some old wise Jewish guy want to do that with a sword and a baby?

Geno

Maybe. Grandad was Lutheran and his name wasn't Solomon.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Guys that offer you a $200 gun straight up for your $1300 rifle or the ones who want pictures, all info, load data, a dozen or so texts about your rifle for sale then say it's even nicer than you described but don't make an offer at all.

I remember the day I quit doing gun shows. I was selling silver and had about 2000 ounces with me. Spot was $14 and I was asking $14.50. All the other guys there were at $16. One guy kept coming back and hanging out for ever saying he'd buy some if I have it to him at spot. I said I already know I have the best price anywhere. He must have thought spot meant retail because he kept saying he never pays over listed price.

This went on for about 4 hours and my friend said you've got to do something to get rid of this guy. So I said watch this to my friend, then I told the guy OK I'll sell at spot. He then got all excited and took $14 out of his wallet and bought 1 ounce. My friend said your lucky he didn't take it all. I said, I'm surprised he bought one. He'll go sell to the other dealer for $14.10 and brag all month how he made easy money. My friend said you should have done that 4 hours ago. I said yes but at least now he earned his 50 cent discount.

I then packed up my display about 3:00pm on the first day and never did anything that show again. I've got nothing against haggling as long as it's remotely close to reasonable. Not like at an Oregon swap meet where some gomer wanted to trade an old rusty steak knife with a broken handle and a broken bike chain for a 1 ounce gold eagle.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldman3
When I started remodeling the house, I went to the closest building supply store and talked to the manager. Told him that if we could reach an agreement on a discount, I would buy all the materials from him, if he had them or could get them.

We had dinner at some people's house. Our kids played. The wife's talked, and I was stuck talking to the guy, a heart surgeon who seemed too smart to talk to me. His parents were at Auschwitz. He was handsome.... then we talked about his remodelling. He said he was paying cost plus. I asked how the materials were priced. I said that a lumberyard may have a walk in price to the public, a lower discount price to contractors, and a higher official retail price [double the contractor price] that might show up on his invoice. The doctor who had been making me look so stupid a few minutes earlier stared at me like a deer looking into the headlights.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clarkm
When I started remodeling the house, I went to the closest building supply store and talked to the manager. Told him that if we could reach an agreement on a discount, I would buy all the materials from him, if he had them or could get them.

We had dinner at some people's house. Our kids played. The wife's talked, and I was stuck talking to the guy, a heart surgeon who seemed too smart to talk to me. His parents were at Auschwitz. He was handsome.... then we talked about his remodelling. He said he was paying cost plus. I asked how the materials were priced. I said that a lumberyard may have a walk in price to the public, a lower discount price to contractors, and a higher official retail price [double the contractor price] that might show up on his invoice. The doctor who had been making me look so stupid a few minutes earlier stared at me like a deer looking into the headlights.

True "cost plus" like honest contractors do is THEIR cost of materials and their labor costs for paying their help. The PLUS is then added to that as the contractor's fee/profit.
I provide receipts for all material I purchase, which shows what I paid for it including my veteran's discount. Then I add my fee.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I Have a couple friends who own pawn shops. They set things aside with my name on them. Those items always are "I will take them at their price" eg: Model 52 B bull barrel schuetzen butt unmolested offered to me for $800. 870 marine magnum dirty but not messed up $250. Jackson Hole Arms switch barrel with three barrels and a hard case Rifle is 95% $700. Some others.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MILES58
I Have a couple friends who own pawn shops. They set things aside with my name on them.

That's great for you. (seriously) but I think that is a big reason why pawn shops always carry the same crap every time you go in. The good stuff is in the back on the buddy system.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Just to make sure I was getting a discount and not just pencil pushing, early in the remodel I had my wife go buy some 2x4's. She got an invoice that looked normal.... # of items, item, cost per piece, and total for the item, subtotal, tax, total.

Then the next day I went in and bought the same number of 2x4's. Everything looked the same, except my invoice had an extra line showing the discount, and my total was less. It's a straight %age discount before tax.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by MILES58
I Have a couple friends who own pawn shops. They set things aside with my name on them.

That's great for you. (seriously) but I think that is a big reason why pawn shops always carry the same crap every time you go in. The good stuff is in the back on the buddy system.

That's how both of those places worked. I used to get a heads up when something good would be available and it could come out for inspection before the pawn was up. That's how I got the switch barrel.

One of them used to sell reloaded ammo he took in. I tried and tried to talk him out of doing that. One day he took in a bunch of 38 special ammo that was reloaded and he decided to run it through his carry piece. No powder and it stuck in the barrel. After that he listened and I just tore some of it down to make sure it was safe whenever he took in more.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm pretty good at it. I got that way by becoming friends with everybody I might want to buy something from.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I did a few gun shows from the back side of the table selling off some my stuff I just didn't need. Everything on the table was priced with haggling in mind. The guy on the table across from me had an old duck call I really wanted. I worked him all day Sunday trying to get him down a bit. He ended up selling it to me right before he left for a little discount. Haggling is fun, and I expect everyone to do it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Took my Marlin JM 336, 35 Rem to the gunshow, asking $500, willing to take $475, forend was boogered up, nice but not original.........

Traded for an old Belgian, underlever, hammer, La Facheux action, 16x16 damascus, with a dent in one bbl + $225..............

Took the sxs and $225 and traded for a sporterized Krag w/ fancy mannlicher stock........

Went to my local GS and sold the Krag for $600................

Is that 'haggling'??????

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muffin
Took my Marlin JM 336, 35 Rem to the gunshow, asking $500, willing to take $475, forend was boogered up, nice but not original.........

Traded for an old Belgian, underlever, hammer, La Facheux action, 16x16 damascus, with a dent in one bbl + $225..............

Took the sxs and $225 and traded for a sporterized Krag w/ fancy mannlicher stock........

Went to my local GS and sold the Krag for $600................

Is that 'haggling'??????

Naw, that 'horse trading'.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
So, the story goes. There was a rancher that got all the ranchers in the valley to put a train load of cattle every year to ship to the stockyards in Chicago.

On year the landed on a bad week, in a bad year, the market was low. The original Swift, I think, had already gone through the train load, and made the rancher an offer on the load. Our rancher thought the offer was too low, and they went through pen, by pen, and agreed an a price for all the cattle. The final bid was twenty dollars higher than the first bid.

The kidded the rancher for many years afterward about beating the old man out of twenty dollars on a train load of cattle.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My old man is a 'haggler'. If something is marked for $0.25 he'll try to get it for $0.24. It drives me nuts sometimes but then I catch myself doing it. laugh

We had few spots bought up at a local swap meet last fall to try to get his garage cleaned up a bit. I was of the mindset that we're not taking it home and was dumping it as fast as people offered. Some of that schit was sitting on a shelf in the garage for 20 years. He'd have it priced sky high because "I might need it someday," which is how we got there in the first place. laugh

Nobody pays asking price at those things.

Camp is where you make it.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"$120 less than nothing."

That was my Dad's typical reply when I asked him the cost of a new-to-him firearm. He would go to a gun show, buy and sell, buy and sell, come out ahead on each deal and end up with a free gun and $120 in his pocket. He was a master haggler.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've always like $50 bills.
Something about the works for transactions. Not sure if it's cause you rarely see them or what.
I like to pull out a stack and tell the preson "I'm going to lay down some bills, when I fell like that's my end I'll pick them up and leave. If you want what's on the table you need to take it".
Then I count them out, full Mississippi's.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Hastings
If I'm traveling and want to stay in a mid-sized town I look for a decent looking Indian owned motel. If the parking lot is only about half full and it is late afternoon they will deal for cash. If it's a chain like Holiday Inn Express they usually won't take cash and don't deal. Very often lodging will come down in price if you point out you're over 65 and won't be tearing up their room. It never hurts to ask if they will take less for cash.
Save $30Catch bedbugsSounds like a great plan.
I've never once brought bedbugs home. However my wife's sister stayed at some swanky high dollar joint up in NYC and ended up with a house full of them.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
830 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 78 invisible), 3,257 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.