Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So in a very short test of shooting with a dirty bore I shot 20-30 rounds back in November and had not touched that rifle again until Saturday. First 3 shots went into 3/8" using my favorite load of 41.3gr H4350 and 130gr Gamechangers. (Bergara Woodsman 6.5CM) Then I proceed to shoot 30 or so rounds of different loads looking for a magic 140gr load. At the end of that session I shot one more group with my proven favorite and put 3 into just under 1/2". That made somewhere between 50 and 60 rounds and the accuracy is getting better if anything. (Although I have shot a bunch of 1/2" groups with this rifle and load.) Kind of makes me wonder at what point should I actually clean this thing? I have shot hundreds of rounds through my 17HMR without cleaning and 22's seem to shoot better and better the dirtier they get. Thoughts or experiences leaving the bore dirty as opposed to cleaning every trip to the range?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I try to clean my rifle every 2 or 3 years.....whether it needs it or not! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/27/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A few years ago I went prairie dog hunting with a .223. Loads used IMR8208xbr, and the rifle is not a copper magnet. Left with a clean bore except for the 5 shots after cleaning to foul the bore and confirm sight in. Shot 440 rounds without cleaning and kept my last 20 for a check. At the range at home, no change in group size after the 440 rounds. Rifle cleaned up quickly, some powder fouling but not much and very little copper. I don't clean that rifle as often anymore! Other rifles will need cleaning more often, but nothing needs to be cleaned oftener than every 80-100 rounds. I have owned copper foulers that needed more fequent cleaning with a good copper solvent, but those have gone down the road. I live in a dry climate so rust is not an issue.....Lousisana shooters may need to worry more.

Last edited by 300_savage; 01/27/20.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

I only have to shoot foulers once or twice a year for most of my rifles.

Last edited by ClearAirTurbulence; 01/27/20.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I clean if going into storage for any length of time as we have a humid climate. If not I clean when I change loads and before I hit 100 rounds usually before this though. If your shooting on a regular basis you can wait till accuracy starts to suffer before you clean. I got rid of all the barrels that are prone to fouling so I probably clean more frequently than I need to.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I do believe one of those dreaded professional gun writers has written about this stuff extensively for quite a few years....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Credit must be given where credit is due, Mule Deer. I'd read your articles, but had trouble staying away from the cleaning rod out of habit. After that pdog hunt I became a believer.
I still clean every 500 rounds or so with that .223....but don't know if it's needed even then. . My deer rifle tells me to clean after a hundred rounds or so...it picks up a little copper and groups start gradually getting larger around the 100 round count..

Last edited by 300_savage; 01/27/20.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Must have been asked and answered before, but has bore fouling residue been proven to not attract and hold water vapor, especially in more humid climates?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have heard it claimed that copper fouling can be a problem in more humid climates, because water molecules creep under the copper. But cannot remember where I heard (or read) that, probably because it was quite a while ago. That said, I would bet oiling the bore between shooting sessions would prevent it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I do believe one of those dreaded professional gun writers has written about this stuff extensively for quite a few years....

Was hoping there would be a chapter about it in Gun Gack, but no luck.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 300_savage
A few years ago I went prairie dog hunting with a .223. Loads used IMR8208xbr, and the rifle is not a copper magnet. Left with a clean bore except for the 5 shots after cleaning to foul the bore and confirm sight in. Shot 440 rounds without cleaning and kept my last 20 for a check. At the range at home, no change in group size after the 440 rounds. Rifle cleaned up quickly, some powder fouling but not much and very little copper. I don't clean that rifle as often anymore! Other rifles will need cleaning more often, but nothing needs to be cleaned oftener than every 80-100 rounds. I have owned copper foulers that needed more fequent cleaning with a good copper solvent, but those have gone down the road. I live in a dry climate so rust is not an issue.....Lousisana shooters may need to worry more.

Indeed we do as a .222 barrel I once owned can attest. No feeling like looking down a bore and seeing fuzzy crud in it and when pushing a patch through it comes out red.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
centershot,

I thought a chapter on bore cleaning and break-in was in GUN GACK II, but just looked and I was mistaken. It will be in GUN GACK III, which I am working on now and will be out this fall.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Joe, I bet that is a bad feeling. Here in Eastern Montana humidity is not a problem...though this past August and September I was wondering....it rained a LOT those two months. Were you able to salvage that .222 barrel? Mule Deer, I'm looking forward to GG III.

Last edited by 300_savage; 01/28/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MD I had an article your wrote about using the ladder method to sight in I believe but have misplaced it. If you have room in GUN GLACK III. Unless I missed it in I and II

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
300savagehunter,

Hmm. I don't remember writing about sighting-in with the ladder method. Any more details you can remember?

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have heard it claimed that copper fouling can be a problem in more humid climates, because water molecules creep under the copper. But cannot remember where I heard (or read) that, probably because it was quite a while ago. That said, I would bet oiling the bore between shooting sessions would prevent it.

That brings up another question: How do you remove the oil before shooting and what happens to your fouled barrel POI and grouping? I have taken to using just Hoppe's #9 every once on a while on guns that I shoot regularly, then run a couple of dry patches through. I still like to shoot a couple of fouling shots before trusting my sight settings for hunting. If I'm just punching holes in paper, it doesn't matter that much. On the rifles that I'm using during hunting season, I don't clean at all until I'm through hunting. My "house" coyote gun, 223 goes a long time between any cleaning at all.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have found that running 2-3 tight cotton patches soaked in rubbing alcohol, followed by a dry patch, normally results in the same POI/grouping.

But I also often install Dyna Bore Coat in the barrels of rifles that get shot a lot, especially prairie dog rifles, which provides a moisture barrier in the bore.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Are you using the alcohol after cleaning with something else or instead of a solvent?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I Used to clean every 20 shots. I dont do that anymore. I have a Savage 12FV varmint gun. I shot a .6, .66, .8 and 1" . It had a clean barrel but it doesnt seem to matter much anymore. I also think I ruined a barrel once by cleaning it too much.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Anson Rogers,

I am using the alcohol to remove the oil from a fouled bore.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 52 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,500
Posts18,452,470
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.