Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by ironbender
TV news reporting they were climbing/climbed to 2400 prior to ‘plummeting ‘ @184 mph ( last reported speed).

This doesn’t fit the the description by the witness on the ground (by a church?) who described low and slow prior to impact.

there was a lot going on in the last 30-60 seconds of the flight, and i think when everything is considered the witness's account won't be all that far off the mark

here i was referring to the first witness, not the second one

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not sure how many understand “special vfr” rules. Anytime I personally used it (31yrs ATC), it was by a non IFR rated pilot or the AC was not IFR rated. It has to be requested by the pilot, ATC can not assign it. The pilot was holding because the airspace must be sterilized, which can be a huge PITA. After the special VFR clearance is granted, the pilot is supposed to use landmarks (roads, building, etc) to reach the destination. I never liked using it, because you are basically allowing a non-IFR rated pilot/plane to fly into IFR conditions. Every word each and every controller used will be scrutinized.

Double_D
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They're showing video of the copter on CBS right now.
They said he climbed to about 2500 feet then went into a steep dive before impacting at about 185 mph.

Last edited by Snyper; 01/28/20.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from ]

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kwg020
Inadvertent IMC. Climb and contact ATC. Someone forgot the rules.

kwg

Very true, but that is Step 2. Step 1 is don't get into inadvertent IMC. Night missions are another thing, but there is no excuse for "inadvertently" getting into IMC during the daylight on a civilian non life-critical mission. That's why God gave you eyes. And a brain.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by ironbender
TV news reporting they were climbing/climbed to 2400 prior to ‘plummeting ‘ @184 mph ( last reported speed).

This doesn’t fit the the description by the witness on the ground (by a church?) who described low and slow prior to impact.

there was a lot going on in the last 30-60 seconds of the flight, and i think when everything is considered the witness's account won't be all that far off the mark

here i was referring to the first witness, not the second one

So much that is not yet known.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by deflave

Talk about pucker factor those people had in the heli and the poor sob on the flight deck taking cover!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just watched the NTSB news conference update today on youtube.....

Coroner confirms the identities of 5 out of the 9 on board. Kobe Bryant among the first 5 confirmed. Coroner still working on the other 4 victims to confirm their identities. Next of kin for the 5 confirmed including Kobe have officially been notified.

Secondly and contrary to what some witnesses say that this was somehow a slower speed impact. Instead, the sheriff authorities have confirmed a very high speed bank to the left upon impact.

12 to 18 months until the final NTSB report is disclosed.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

Secondly and contrary to what some witnesses say that this was somehow a slower speed impact. Instead, the sheriff authorities have confirmed a very high speed bank to the left upon impact.

12 to 18 months until the final NTSB report is disclosed.

If ATC said he was "too low for flight following" - meaning they couldn't see him on radar, how dafu k do they know what he did once he dropped down from altitude? He could have dropped quickly down when he saw an opening in the clouds/fog and then rambled around slowly at low altitude looking for a way out or a reference point.
This is one case where I'm believing the witness at the church.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fester

Talk about pucker factor those people had in the heli and the poor sob on the flight deck taking cover!

No kidding. I'll bet that dude's life flashed before his eyes two or three times during that rodeo.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Witnesses nearby who took picture of the fireball said they saw the bird come down out of the cloud
and hit terra firma some couple hundred feet away.

After reaching 2300, it turned and dropped 500 ft
in 15 seconds. Impacting at 1085 ft
At below 1500 cloud gave way to fog/low vis.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
of course, information raises more questions. But, two witnesses say the craft was moving slowly, perhaps then the pilot made the move to ascend above the deck. tbis is not easy to do without significant forward motion. He could've had a problem with that maneuver and/or in the process ended up in heavier fog, then lost spatial awareness and dropped hard from height, game over.

i'm sure the driver had a plan, but the worse judgment was being there to begin with. others mentioned visibility in fog, etc, turns out in that area the fog moves in/out rapidly, plus the terrain is wicked, trouble written all over it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Unless the helicopter was equipped with an automatic flight/hover control, this would be extremely difficult to accomplish. It could be vertigo inducing. I could envision the pilot then making the decision to climb and gain airspeed to break out on top of the layer, assuming there was a layer, and if radar showed him at 2400 feet, and an airspeed of 160 kts, he may have eventually succumbed to vertigo and lost control of level flight. Vertigo is a big killer of pilots. It is a condition of the inner ear that sends false sensations that conflict with what your instruments are telling you.

I can't express just how sobering that is to me. There are a lot of S-76s flying around relying on the aircraft system I support, which is what drives those very instruments.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The news is trying to make the case for pilot error. We wont know until the report, but I will betcha there is a serious mechanical malfunction involved. It hints toward tail rotor IMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you know of the crash that suggests TRF?

We had some earlier saying that it was 'most likely'
wire strike/loss of tail boom, but they never really explained what facts they had to support such... LOL.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is no video footage of the crash

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Payne Stewart?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Know nothing of the crash. Just the indicators of the flight radar video, radio chatter, and the last few seconds of flight. Little over 2000 hours of rotor wing flight, one of which was punctuated by tail rotor failure.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 74 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.