Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
i have plenty of experience freezing while hiking. lol. actually, i remember many times being peeled down to just a t-shirt with sweat boiling and steam rising like a train's smokestack... but for those situations when you want to move slowly, and the wind is slicing thru you... that is the outer layer piece of kit i need...

no need for hearing aids yet...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well, then...

Search for the waterproofness data and air permeabilty of given fabrics, turn up your hearing aid and start moving.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dogger
Gore-tex... after witnessing our dismounted light infantry get in serious hypothermia trouble with their high speed/low drag Goretex outer gear (NTC January 1995) on the top of a mountain goat mountain in serious cold weather and torrential rain - i have never been a fan of that stuff... too heavy... too thick... too bulky...

something thin and light and quiet to stop the wind when you are exposed and need to move... if it starts raining... i am stopping and erecting shelter/fire.

i have never been a fan of that stuff... too heavy... too thick... too bulky...

Really? I have a ton of Goretex that is neither heavy, thick, or bulky. Has always worked great for me, Climbing, hunting, backpacking, fishing, snowboarding, and everyday wear in the rain.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dogger
i have plenty of experience freezing while hiking. lol. actually, i remember many times being peeled down to just a t-shirt with sweat boiling and steam rising like a train's smokestack... but for those situations when you want to move slowly, and the wind is slicing thru you... that is the outer layer piece of kit i need...

no need for hearing aids yet...

I get hot very easily. If you need to slow things down and add a layer it probably won't need to be windproof. As you will be warm already and a little wind through fleece or wool won't be bad.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Patagonia Houdini.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
Patagonia Houdini.

yeah but they weigh 4 oz and are the size of pack of cigs- that's a lot to carry grin

the military Patagonia Houdini's are pretty nice too- about double the weight, but a little hardier fabric- similar water resistance and breathability though

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think you want any kind of soft-shell. Some wind shirts are really breathable, too, but others are not. I usually shop for this stuff by going into a gear shop and blowing through the fabric. I want a little air to pass but not a whole lot. I find it hard to figure that stuff out online.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.