Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Can anyone offer advice on driving to AK through Canada while toting some ammo, primers, and powder?

Does this trip (from SD to AK) count as their "in-transit"

Personal exemptions

Certain types and quantities of explosives (see table below) can be imported, exported or transported in transit without a permit if the following conditions are met:

a. the explosive is imported, exported, or transported in transit for personal use and not for commercial purposes;
b. the explosive enters or leaves Canada with the person importing or exporting it—or, if transported in transit, it remains with the person transporting it at all times;
c. in the case of small arms cartridges, the cartridges do not include a tracer, incendiary or similar military component or device; and
d. the quantity of the explosive being imported, exported and transported in transit is not more than the quantity set out in the table.

Ammunition seems clear enough, but not sure about the rest.

Any individual can import up to 5,000 rounds of small arms cartridges into Canada without an import permit if they are for personal use (i.e., not for resale). If you plan to resell the cartridges or to import more than 5,000 rounds, you need an import permit. Similarly, you can export and transport in-transit up to 5,000 rounds of small arms cartridges for personal use without an export and transport in-transit permit, but you need a permit if you plan to resell the cartridges or to export and transport in-transit more than 5,000 rounds.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/our-natural...ting-exporting-transporting-transit/9907

I looked on a site, but it isn't all clear to me what qualifies for what.

BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Why not just buy primers and powder when you get here?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I had specific stuff I was not sure I could get there, and some I know I could not because its not made anymore.

And then there was the stuff I just wanted to bring because I had plenty and was driving to start with.

Last March I don't recall that they ever even asked about the stuff. I did not take primers. FWIW. But had brass, bullets and powder with along with loaded ammo.

They never wanted to see the guns but I had the gun list all filled out and had to go in to take care of that.

What I didn't realize is they wanted some kind of paperwork on the airboat. Not a big deal.

But then again crossing into Canada as a US citizen has ALWAYS been much nicer than trying to get back into the US as a US Citizen. And the US seems ONLY worried about how much money you have on you. For the most part.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have handgun ammo be prepared to have them do a very thorough job looking for the guns that go with it. You'll then get another opportunity to more efficiently pack your vehicle.

If you are going to be dumb - you've got to be tuff.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
In my two experiences transiting Canadia with a truck full of household goods, including scores of a.) thousands of primers, b.) hundreds of loaded handgun rounds and c.) pounds of powder, the Canuckistani BP agents were far more interested in the long guns and paperwork than anything else in the packed-solid canopied pickup bed.

I flew the handguns north and south with my wife - she hates driving.

Do you plan to sell your ammo while in Canadia? Are you traveling with more than 5000 rounds of loaded ammo?

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yes- "in transit" means passing through - i.e. - you are not leaving any of those items in Canada. I took a couple rifles, with ammo, Outside a couple years ago. No problem - just follow the guidelines/paperwork.

Ditto on VEK's comment on Border officials' attitudes, in general. Never had a surly Canadian, which is not true for the American side of things, by about 50%.

As to "why not buy them here?" - if he has them already, why leave them behind? Maybe cheaper also. Dunno about that. But getting Hazmat (primers, powder) up here by commercial carriers in bulk via "good deals" is a PITA, and very, very expensive, especially in smaller quantities.

Getting such items out into the bush requires a minimum of $50 hazmat fee per shipment, on top of the air transport fees. Likely the same from Outside. And it cannot fly oncommercial passenger aircraft such as Alaska Airlines. Only on cargo-only flights. The puddle-jumper commuter aircraft within the state may be different. I don't know about that.

Again, I am ignorant about fees for barge/truck "ground" shipments, not having used such for a couple decades. I don't know how the wholesale/retail outfits up here get their Hazmat, other than it must come "ground" - probably via truck to Seattle, then barge, then truck again to destinations. Off road system it would again have to go cargo only aircraft, or barge on the river systems, say to Bethel or Nome.

One thing- "Pepper Spray" is not allowed into Canada. When asked about it at the Alaska Border, heading down, my wife admitted to having a canister in her fanny pack. Canucks filled out the confiscation paperwork while she went out to get it. On exam, they said- "This isn't Pepper Spray- it's Bear Spray - right there on the label", and handed it back to her. Then they had to do more paperwork justifying the cancelation of their original paperwork..... smile. Nice folks.

Last edited by las; 01/27/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Have an inventory list of all your items. Yes handgun ammo will raise issues as well as holsters!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And the rules often change with the shift change!

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I stop at US Customs and register all of my ammo and components as proof that I brought it from the US and that it was not purchased in Canada. I have been told by numerous US Customs agents that it is not necessary to do that but I have also had numerous US Customs agents want to see some proof that I had the items when I entered Canada.
Yes, the US Customs agents are generally not very nice and there are some who love to exert every bit of authority they have, maybe it is just me and because I always have rifles, ammo, and components with me when I am in Canada.
I have never had a problem with Canadian Customs, I declare what I have and never a hassle from them. You do need to register the firearms you are taking into Canada go to the Canadian Firearms Center for the paperwork and directions - fill it out before you get to the border and it is a quick and painless process.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Why not just buy primers and powder when you get here?

Simply because I have a lot of it already. Selling it to re-buy would lose a lot of money. If I can legally take it, I will.

I will have ZERO firearms with me, those are being shipped.

I will have ZERO handgun rounds or holsters, again those will be shipped.

Originally Posted by Vek
In my two experiences transiting Canadia with a truck full of household goods, including scores of a.) thousands of primers, b.) hundreds of loaded handgun rounds and c.) pounds of powder, the Canuckistani BP agents were far more interested in the long guns and paperwork than anything else in the packed-solid canopied pickup bed.

I flew the handguns north and south with my wife - she hates driving.

Do you plan to sell your ammo while in Canadia? Are you traveling with more than 5000 rounds of loaded ammo?

I will not be selling anything in Canada and will stay below the 5K round count.

Any links to the paperwork that may be pre-filled prior to arriving at the border?

IC B3

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If you have no firearms, you need no paperwork. I kept my various ammo and reloading bits accessible for inspection; that is all. Learn the rules by reading them from the source, and I suggest printing them out and having them handy. I can't remember the specifics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is there any restrictions carrying powder on us highways ?

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Canada only allows 8 kilo's of powder (17lbs) and 5,000 primers to transit their country. I don't know if that's per person or per vehicle.
Get with the Canadian authorities to nail it down.
It will save you some headaches down the road.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
When I crossed into Canada headed south last June the only thing they were interested in was whether or not I had any "marijuana products." I had the paperwork for the firearms I was carrying and they just said come on in and we'll take care of it. Took about 15 minutes. Components or ammo never came up in the conversation. When I hit the US border in Montana they asked if I had my 4457's for the firearms. I did not, but all they said was "It's a good idea if you have those....keep it in mind for next time....have a nice day!"

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Vek
If you have no firearms, you need no paperwork. I kept my various ammo and reloading bits accessible for inspection; that is all. Learn the rules by reading them from the source, and I suggest printing them out and having them handy. I can't remember the specifics.

Thanks for that info on the paperwork. I have been reading extensively and was more or less looking for some experience in the dealings and some layman's term type explanations.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a very interesting experience entering Canada one time. It is best told in person but it will suffice that I really thought maybe they were filming an episode of the Red/Green show.

I'm driving up in April and will have at least 2 long guns. I will ship a handgun on ahead. I guess I will just buy handgun ammo when I get there unless I can bring a little with me.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.