Campfire Member
C
RJ, is that a Hunters Edge/Compact?

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
See if you can get Rick's Gear Shop to order a Sako Classic with swirly gel-coat, checkering, and lightweight fill for your Winny. That's what you really want.

Barring that option, get the pre-64 Monte inletted for your Winny. Great all-arounder meant for scope use.

Or, get the Echols Legend and simply live with the bit larger forend. Best recoil reduction.

Compact is too low of comb--it was built for open sights, unless you've got a fat face and shoot heads up.
Classic is more of the same.
The Bridges is superb except the grip is too open for anything but offhand shooting.
Hunter is ugly and not great for offhand shooting, and it's ugly. Nice palm swell, and ugly.

As to fill weight, I would not go "edge" if it were me. Ask for the lightweight fill on a swirly gel coat. That is only about 4+ ounces more than an edge fill, and it is a much better/solider feeling stock. The edge fill feels like a hollow shell and is much colder in the hands when temps really drop. A non-painted gel coat has color all the way through so it doesn't show wear/tear much either.

Checkering, they used to do either way that you requested--now they are stubborn about doing it one way or the other depending on style. But, if you can get checkering, then I would, as it makes nice traction and gives a little more warmth in the hands when carrying. You often have to negotiate with them to add it or take away. Most of their molds have it available and they simply fill it if you don't want it.

If you get sick of the Mickey run around, then get in touch with Mark Bansner and try to get back on the list for the David Miller pre-64 style stock. In some ways, a thinner version of the Echols Legend. Or see if you can scrub up a Brown Precision classic style, or see if they are ready yet to make them again. Wonderful design and construction, and lighter than a Mickey.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would definitely vote Edge fill as it seems like the more recent edge stocks aren’t so edgy. My Sako Classic with Edge fill came out to 28 ounces, not terrible but would have loved for a few ounces less.

270 is not punishing, no reason to tote extra weight with it.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Marble finished Edge fill are now only offered with those finishes that have a black background. Seems the black carbon shell occasionally showed thru the finish. Black background covers it. Glad I got my McWoody Edge when I did.

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
CoryP, It is a regular Hunters Edge. The Compact came out after I bought this one. RJ

IC B2

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
See if you can get Rick's Gear Shop to order a Sako Classic with swirly gel-coat, checkering, and lightweight fill for your Winny. That's what you really want.

Barring that option, get the pre-64 Monte inletted for your Winny. Great all-arounder meant for scope use.

Or, get the Echols Legend and simply live with the bit larger forend. Best recoil reduction.

Compact is too low of comb--it was built for open sights, unless you've got a fat face and shoot heads up.
Classic is more of the same.
The Bridges is superb except the grip is too open for anything but offhand shooting.
Hunter is ugly and not great for offhand shooting, and it's ugly. Nice palm swell, and ugly.

As to fill weight, I would not go "edge" if it were me. Ask for the lightweight fill on a swirly gel coat. That is only about 4+ ounces more than an edge fill, and it is a much better/solider feeling stock. The edge fill feels like a hollow shell and is much colder in the hands when temps really drop. A non-painted gel coat has color all the way through so it doesn't show wear/tear much either.

Checkering, they used to do either way that you requested--now they are stubborn about doing it one way or the other depending on style. But, if you can get checkering, then I would, as it makes nice traction and gives a little more warmth in the hands when carrying. You often have to negotiate with them to add it or take away. Most of their molds have it available and they simply fill it if you don't want it.

If you get sick of the Mickey run around, then get in touch with Mark Bansner and try to get back on the list for the David Miller pre-64 style stock. In some ways, a thinner version of the Echols Legend. Or see if you can scrub up a Brown Precision classic style, or see if they are ready yet to make them again. Wonderful design and construction, and lighter than a Mickey.

Excellent! Thank you sir!!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have three of the featherweights but I'm leaning to the Compact for my next one.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
257Bob

Any chance you could post a couple pictures of those Featherweights?

I’m trying to decide between a Fwt and a Compact either in McWoody

Thanks

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

New BACO Model 70 Winchester 308 in McM featherweight stock 70%OD Green, 15%Black and 15% Light Grey. Weighs 7# 14 ounces as shown so not a flyweight. I have been extremely happy with rifle and stock.

Last edited by Sixpack; 01/28/20.
Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

IC B3

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is the Sako classic close to the Remington Mountain Rifle stock? Curious about it

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sixpack
Is the Sako classic close to the Remington Mountain Rifle stock? Curious about it

Not totally sure but they feel real similar to the wood stocked CDLs I’ve had in the past. I like the Sako Classics quite a lot on the Tikkas.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would go edge fill on a featherweight. Sure it’s lighter, but more importantly it shifts the balance point forward.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I have three of the featherweights but I'm leaning to the Compact for my next one.

I'm 6'1" and have one of each. The featherweight and compact. I feel that the extra 1" (which is the difference in over all length) on the featherweight style fits me much better.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For comparison sake, my SC 270 in an edge fill Fwt pattern with Talley lightweights and Burris FFII 3-9 goes 7lb 6oz, balances nicely.

Opt for a short action and swap the Burris for a M-8 6x36 and I bet you would be right at 7lbs sans sling and ammo.

For me 7.5-8 lbs is about right so I’m sticking with what I got.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Sixpack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TomM1

For me 7.5-8 lbs is about right so I’m sticking with what I got.

Agree with this totally. The rifle pictured above is with a heavier Zeiss Conquest, Warne Maxima Steel bases and Burris Zee rings. With the same scope and DNZ mount it weighed about 4oz less. This is std fill stock too. Not really a complaint as much as a rather is getting a bit more meat in forearm. I will happily buy another featherweight pattern but would prefer a bit more in the forearm tip. My stock hasn’t been bedded yet and is a little finicky about where rest hits forearm on the bench. But it has dispatched everything I’ve pointed at with a single shot and shoots the handful of factory ammo I’ve tried about the same, 1-1.25”. I shot a 10 shot group of about 2” without allowing it to cool with factory fusions.

Last edited by Sixpack; 01/28/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both the Hunters Edge and the Featherweight are hard to beat for a thinner barrel up to a #2 Lilja or Rock. I like the Hunter a little more at the end of the day.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This thread is priceless for anyone considering a stock for M70.

Photo essay

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes, it sure is. Thanks for bringing it back around. Shame so many of the pics are gone or held blurry hostage.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,633
Posts18,455,226
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.