Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Ive read mixed reviews. Some guys say the action is really gritty, the barrel is to heavy, ect. Other reviews say its a really crisp action, well balanced and points great. Has anyone owned/shot one? On paper I really like the rifle. My only beef with it is those stock spacers are not very appealing.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
It's the standard Hawkeye action.
That stock idea was the stupidest thing ever. But Boddington was in on it, so that explains it

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Modern Hawkeye actions are pretty gritty but I consider this a non-issue considering that they smooth out after cycling the bolt a few hundred times. I can only assume the people that complain about them don’t shoot their guns much.
I also hate the stock spacers but I really just hate the look and not the spacers themselves.
It does point well and comes up lightning fast if you’re willing to try a shorter LOP. Remove the brake/barrel weight and replace it with the thread protector to save a couple ounces off the end.
What caliber are you looking at?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like wood/blue, but also laminates over tupperware. Had one of these a few years back. I usually need a shorter LOP and don't mind brakes so these were made for me. Had the 338 WM, shot well, recoil not bad at all with the brake, should be picking up my new one in a couple days correcting my previous mistake. Now I need to replace a 358 win..

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by peterthomas
Modern Hawkeye actions are pretty gritty but I consider this a non-issue considering that they smooth out after cycling the bolt a few hundred times. I can only assume the people that complain about them don’t shoot their guns much.
I also hate the stock spacers but I really just hate the look and not the spacers themselves.
It does point well and comes up lightning fast if you’re willing to try a shorter LOP. Remove the brake/barrel weight and replace it with the thread protector to save a couple ounces off the end.
What caliber are you looking at?

I second everything said above. I owned one for a few years as my primary hunting rifle and it was mostly perfect for me. As a left hand shooter, seeking a powerful medium bore (375 Ruger), semi lightweight, compact length, accurate enough, bad weather rifle on a budget, it was my best option out there. If one or more of those weren't of concern, there are probably better options out there for you.

I only sold mine because I came across a good deal on an FTW version with 2" more barrel and a few ounces lighter. I polished the trigger up a bit on the Guide Gun and when I tried the new FTW trigger, I was reminded of just how much better and how easily the Hawkeye's trigger can be improved. It makes me wonder why they don't spend the extra 10 minutes (or less?) it would take to smooth it at the factory. After an hour (for me) to carefully polish with 2000 grit sandpaper and a Dremel polishing bit the FTW is cycling very near to my Tikka.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What the others said. Smooths out. Maybe an artifact of stainless on stainless. Whatever. The only quibble is the stainless dovetail rings can easily be incorrectly seated, loosen, etc. So be deliberate.

Spacers are ugly. They work. As it happens, I hunt with no spacers and, because of laziness, just add a Pachmayr Decelerator slip on at the range. Had no laminate stock issues except need to re-torque front screw to 95 in/lbs after a few shots. Has stayed tight since.

I flat out love this gun. .375R. 1" at 100 yds for 5 with just about everything. There's alot of suspect data around, but I have no trouble getting 2550-2575 fps with 300s, 2700 fps with 270s. Loaded the first brass 16x. From a 20", and all. Given the low probability of traveling west again, or needing to shoot beyond 300 yds again, might sell the .300s, '06s, etc and use this the rest of the way..........

The brake is wonderful. Less perceived recoil than a similar weight '06. No need for a lead-sled at the range. I hunt alone and wear electronic muffs. Would wear the muffs even if it were an unbraked 26" .243. .22 rf, too. Just how a near-deaf old guy rolls.

No negatives. Crazy nimble in the hands. With 20" barrel it handles/swings like a Purdey game gun (yes, I know how they handle), even if is heavier.

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Matty99669
Ive read mixed reviews. Some guys say the action is really gritty, the barrel is to heavy, ect. Other reviews say its a really crisp action, well balanced and points great. Has anyone owned/shot one? On paper I really like the rifle. My only beef with it is those stock spacers are not very appealing.

I agree with your stock assessment. Ive shot one in .416 ruger. The stock spacers didnt even match the lines of stock. The pads were set in a couple millimetres so you could feel this edge. Awful. The solution would be to get the rifle and an aftermarket stock. I really liked everything else about it. The brake worked well and wasnt as loud as I expected it to be.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (444Matt, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 19 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,182
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.