Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just bought a #1 in 250 Savage thats a Lipseys exclusive. It should be here Monday or Tuesday at the latest. My favorite #1 is a full custom in 7MM-08 but I just used the action. I think Ruger could sell a lot of rifles if they upgraded the wood and priced them between what they do now and a Dakota M10. When I was looking for a nice single shot I priced out the Dakota and had my custom rifle built for far less exactly how I wanted it .A long long time ago I had a #1 AB in 7x57 that had gorgeous wood in fact thats why I bought it. Then I had a rifle built on a Sako action in 7X57 and sold the Ruger. I still regret that one frown

BP-B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Was looking at the Henry single shots and they are well made and beautiful. Its on my bucket list. Right now I use a CVA single shot .243.

WBL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
with respect i just have a hard time myself spending money on a Henry single shot yes they work ok, but my thought is for another $300.00-500.00 above the price of a Henry single shot i can find a real nice Ruger #1 that will keep its value or go up in value or i can give it to a family member. my son,daughter ,son-in-law all have there #1`s already ,and all grandkids will have Ruger #1`s from me too. i have always taught them one and done shot thing hunting, plus i just feel Ruger #1`s are so easy to load and unload,easy safety,simple strong action, really there is no action to speak of so your rifle is 4 inches shorter than a reciever rifle with same barrel length so in a box stand its a easier rifle to use too.i am at the point in my life if i buy a gun it won`t be a cheap gun anymore i want to leave very nice rifles and pistols with class to my family and until then i will use some.> its just a thought you might want to think about before you spend that money on a cheaper quality gun ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
One and done, aint the gun.

Its ammo supply.

#1s can be reloaded rather quickly

I grew up shooting #1's, and I like em just fine.
But I don't blow smoke up people's asses about using em.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If you go afield with just one round then you're not planning for the unexpected, and sooner or later your arrogance is gonna mean suffering for a beast.
Nobody is perfect, nobody can control everything.
Life aint the internet.

Last edited by hookeye; 03/22/20.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by hookeye
If you go afield with just one round then you're not planning for the unexpected, and sooner or later your arrogance is gonna mean suffering for a beast.
Nobody is perfect, nobody can control everything.
Life aint the internet.

no we have shell/ammo boots on our Ruger #1`s, but maybe you could learn to be a little more respectful and have positive replies. but for your information my father taught this: one and done to us years ago take 1 good shot , save on ammo ,kill animal quickly and don`t shoot animal full of holes a person is just wasting meat and ammo. try too have a wonderful positive day,Pete53

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’ve hunted with single shots (Ruger) for the past 20 years and have never had any regrets. But then, I choose my shots. I never take shots at running animals or “iffy” shots thru thick screening brush and I stay within my self imposed maximum range (~300 yds). If I have to pass on even a monster buck because the conditions aren’t right then, so be it. It ain’t the end of the world.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Post some pics when you get it. Sounds like a dandy

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
with respect i just have a hard time myself spending money on a Henry single shot yes they work ok, but my thought is for another $300.00-500.00 above the price of a Henry single shot i can find a real nice Ruger #1 that will keep its value or go up in value or i can give it to a family member. my son,daughter ,son-in-law all have there #1`s already ,and all grandkids will have Ruger #1`s from me too. i have always taught them one and done shot thing hunting, plus i just feel Ruger #1`s are so easy to load and unload,easy safety,simple strong action, really there is no action to speak of so your rifle is 4 inches shorter than a reciever rifle with same barrel length so in a box stand its a easier rifle to use too.i am at the point in my life if i buy a gun it won`t be a cheap gun anymore i want to leave very nice rifles and pistols with class to my family and until then i will use some.> its just a thought you might want to think about before you spend that money on a cheaper quality gun ?

Now that I have two Henrys, I feel like I have a decent basis in which to form a valid opinion on them. They are inexpensive, but there's nothing cheap about them that I can find, just simplicity. The wood, checkering, and fit and finish are equal to or better than my last two Number 1s, no doubt about it. Nothing I've seen lately for anywhere near the price compares. Yeah, if you luck out, you might find a nice used Ruger for $800 or so, my last was purchased new for that from Darrik, but for $350 or so Henrys are a screaming bargain for someone that isn't worried about what the other boys think. I'm not a fan of their leverguns, but they nailed it with these. I don't feel at all like I "settled" by purchasing them, just made out.

Might buy another Ruger or two someday, but at ordinary street prices, used Browning 1885s, and select Winchester specimens seem like a better deal to me in most cases. Occasionally Ruger still puts out some stunners, but I never seem to run into them.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I choose my shots too, doesn't matter what rifle I'm toting.

Happen to really like the feel and look of a Ruger #1.

Last edited by hookeye; 03/23/20.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've owned this one in 7x57 since 1978. It's been a great rifle, accurate, reliable, and easy to carry. It's taken it's share of big game. Would hate to see Ruger #1's go by the wayside, hard to find nice ones nowadays for a reasonable price, but it is rifle you can keep for a lifetime and hand down to your kids. They are unique in todays market of inexpensive plastic rifles, something a little different and special.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SS336
I've owned this one in 7x57 since 1978. It's been a great rifle, accurate, reliable, and easy to carry. It's taken it's share of big game. Would hate to see Ruger #1's go by the wayside, hard to find nice ones nowadays for a reasonable price, but it is rifle you can keep for a lifetime and hand down to your kids. They are unique in todays market of inexpensive plastic rifles, something a little different and special.

Nice looking no-nonsense hunting rifle there!

I only have one at present...a #1-A in .222 ( Lipseys exclusive from 2013 I think...) Plain wood and " Hunting" accuracy....1-1.5 inch groups....which, lo and behold...do indeed work for hunting!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
nice looking Ruger #1`s but i do believe its close to the end for this special type rifle ,glad i own a few Ruger #1`s for myself and my families future. sure seems like cheap rifles are the future for many hunters ?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There's always been a market for inexpensive guns, and for those who could afford them and appreciated the difference, nice ones. Even when Number 1s were only a couple hundred bucks (and were VERY nice), they only sold moderately well because most shooters were happy with 700s for about a C-note and $90 .30/30s. It takes time for consumers to deveop their tastes and some discernment about the products they buy, and some never get past the "gun as tool" stage, which is fine if that suits them. I feel that way about vehicles myself. It ain't always because it's all they can afford either.

'

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I am a righty, but have some left handers in the fam.
Their personal rifle has a problem, can loan em a #1.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Even with the plain wood a Ruger #1 has a lot more class than the Teflon stocked monstrosities that are so popular now. There’s no such thing as a “beautiful “ or even “nice” looking Teflon stocked or “black” gun. True, they may be accurate and durable but there are lots of accurate and durable wood & steel rifles to be had.. Beside, as I read somewhere, “Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I only have one Ruger #1 left (just sold my purdy one). It's a 1V in 25/06. Not half bad. If I could only use SS rifles for the rest of my hunting time, I'd be ok with that. Between the above mentioned #1, a Win 1885 Low Wall and a Dakota 10, I'm all set.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Bobber257
Even with the plain wood a Ruger #1 has a lot more class than the Teflon stocked monstrosities that are so popular now. There’s no such thing as a “beautiful “ or even “nice” looking Teflon stocked or “black” gun. True, they may be accurate and durable but there are lots of accurate and durable wood & steel rifles to be had.. Beside, as I read somewhere, “Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

i have to agree and when i hunt or someplace else and they see me with my Ruger #1 in the woods, field,camp,or at the range most gotta ask me about my #1 rifle. all gun people seem to be fascinated by Ruger #1 looks and wanna know how this #1 shoots and none ever say a #1 is ugly.i only wish when i was 20 something years of age i would have started to buy these classy Ruger #1`s then ! >> a good friend with plenty money last fall 2019 i talked him into buying a used older Ruger #1 270 Win. he was impressed right away how well it shot, ease of loading this #1, he killed a heck of a nice whitetail buck and a decent 5x5 bull elk in Colorado same fall 2019 and now he also wonders why he never purchased a #1 earlier in life too .

Last edited by pete53; 03/25/20.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The wood stinks so I went with a full custom option. cal is 7/08 24 inch tapered octagon barrel, Tally QD rings, custom quarter rib, skelton PG cap and metal but plate. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]photo host [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by GSPfan; 03/31/20.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GSPfan
The wood stinks so I went with a full custom option. cal is 7/08 24 inch tapered octagon barrel, Tally QD rings, custom quarter rib, skelton PG cap and metal but plate. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]photo host [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That is easy to look at.... very nice.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
549 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.