Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Toyo Open Country AT II's You may have to spin them to clean them out. Standard rear end 4wd. Pulled a 5X8 trailer in the same spot and got pretty greasy a time or two I was there!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mike

Look at the red dirt!!

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Life in the Dirty South laugh

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve had Maxxis Buckshot mud tires on 4 different trucks and have found them to be a fairly quite mud tire that generally wears evenly. They are a great “all terrain” tire.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Some of the best "Mud" tires fail in certain types of mud. Asking for an AT thats good in mud is like asking a hooker to cook a gourmet meal.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Walk a quarter mile in mud and each boot weighed 20 lb. Use a wire brush to get it off. It was miserable stuff.

It's amazing stuff. I think a student in Montana wrote a research paper on gumbo. From what I remember, it's clay and volcanic ash (the bentonite).

I don't see it here in Western Oregon, but most of the dirt roads are well maintained and gravel, although we have lots of clay. In Central and Eastern Oregon, I see gumbo. When I was riding motos, it was a concern on our spring and summer trips as a quick shower could stop a moto in its tracks. Same for a car or truck.

Stole this pic from another site.

[url=https://postimages.org/][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Looks like northern Nevada mud. Sticks to everything and boots do end up getting heavier with each step.. For that kind of mud, you need a true mud tire like the toyo or super swamper. BFG's were alright in it, but sometimes the bigger lugs of the original super swampers and thornbirds were better. I use goodyear durratracks on my Taco and they work well enough in the light mud we have around here. They are very similar to the Kelly safari TSR's.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Walk a quarter mile in mud and each boot weighed 20 lb. Use a wire brush to get it off. It was miserable stuff.

It's amazing stuff. I think a student in Montana wrote a research paper on gumbo. From what I remember, it's clay and volcanic ash (the bentonite).

I don't see it here in Western Oregon, but most of the dirt roads are well maintained and gravel, although we have lots of clay. In Central and Eastern Oregon, I see gumbo. When I was riding motos, it was a concern on our spring and summer trips as a quick shower could stop a moto in its tracks. Same for a car or truck.

Stole this pic from another site.

[url=https://postimages.org/][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I've had mud pack tight enough under a bike fender to lock up the tire. I had to clean it out with a screwdriver to even move. That's why real dirt bikes have the fenders a foot above the tire.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve run a few sets of Cooper STT MAXX and I’m on my 2nd set of STT Pros. All of the tires have been on Ram 3500 with a Cummins. Aired up to 75-80 pounds they’ve been okay till it starts getting nasty. Air them down to 25 pounds and my truck moves around like it supposed to. Both of them have a little him on the road compared to the highway’ish tires that come on the trucks.

Whoever said tires were a compromise was spot on. My trucks are used to pull trailers and move around hunting units so I air on the side of more aggressive tires. I get about 50k per set but the last 10k they’re pretty slim on solid traction but still better than the highway tires the trucks come with.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It'll be 2 to 3 years before I need new ones. I wonder what the recommendations will be then.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gunzo
Some of the best "Mud" tires fail in certain types of mud. Asking for an AT thats good in mud is like asking a hooker to cook a gourmet meal.

LMAO, I’m going to use that one around the boys :-)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TOYO OPEN COUNTRY MT

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Decent but not an AT tire.

Originally Posted by Reba
TOYO OPEN COUNTRY MT

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Had pretty good luck with the Toyo Open Country RT in mud on my last truck. They bridge the gap between the AT and MT pretty well. Truck I just got has some KO2's on them, not to ild about them, but they are almost new, so I'll rum em until I gotta replace them...

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
BFG AT rode nice on the road, decent offroad while fairly new.
Worn out by 30K.

Much prefer the Goodyear MTR. Noisier but not horrible. Not as good when wet on pavement.
But a solid champ offroad and got 40K per set (orig version and newer).

Think one should buy an SUV for DD and one for hunting. Road and mud tires, no in between.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by hookeye
BFG AT rode nice on the road, decent offroad while fairly new.
Worn out by 30K.

Much prefer the Goodyear MTR. Noisier but not horrible. Not as good when wet on pavement.
But a solid champ offroad and got 40K per set (orig version and newer).

Think one should buy an SUV for DD and one for hunting. Road and mud tires, no in between.

Then here in the N we need 2 cars and 4 sets of tires. Once mid Nov-early Dec rolls around up here, MT's suck on the hard-packed snow and ice that covers our roads for 4-5Mo so you really should have snows, or at least a Mountain Snowflake rated AT.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Horse1,
Yah the all terrain with a three peak snowflake rating is the way to go, value wise. One set of tires for all season here in Alaska.

BFG AT, Goodyear Duratrac and Falken AT3W all have it. Of those three, the Duratracs are the best in mud. Falken are ok, but mine are made in Taiwan.

BFG AT ko2, though good on ice and snow, are terrible in the mud. With front and rear differential lockers engaged on an 80 series landcruiser, they still sucked on my muddy road that has no state service. Could barely get out even with lockers in spring.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Horse1,
Yah the all terrain with a three peak snowflake rating is the way to go, value wise. One set of tires for all season here in Alaska.

BFG AT, Goodyear Duratrac and Falken AT3W all have it. Of those three, the Duratracs are the best in mud. Falken are ok, but mine are made in Taiwan.

BFG AT ko2, though good on ice and snow, are terrible in the mud. With front and rear differential lockers engaged on an 80 series landcruiser, they still sucked on my muddy road that has no state service. Could barely get out even with lockers in spring.

I used to have those on a full sized Blazer. When this desert soil gets wet, it gets really greasy. Normally you won't sink too deep but you'll spin all over the place. I wasn't too impressed with them either.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Horse1,

I had good AT tires on our suburban that did really well on packed snow and ice. The problem with them is when the snow gets deep. They struggle or have gotten us stuck when the snow is deep. We have 2 miles of gravel county road to get to the highway and that is rarely plowed. I went to Firestone Destination MTs that were siped to get down the road when snow is deep. Once we get to the highway the siping helps with the ice and snowpacked roads plus auto 4

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nothing like a tire thread. 🍻

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some vehicles these days don't have enough room for front chains. I run narrower than stock tires on my pickup just for that reason. With stock tires, I can only use those thin car chains. With narrower tires, I can use any kind of chains. That said, in 8 years since I bought it, I've never had to chain the front.

― George Orwell

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 663 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,868
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.