-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The delivery thing is catching on. Costco's doing it now within certain distances from the store. $35 minimum, free delivery with orders over $75. I haven't compared online prices to store prices to see if they're jacking them up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
+1 on the employees filling grocery carts. It was a major pain. They had the attitude that we were in their way. I'm not in their way anymore. For the last few months its been Meijers or Schnucks.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The delivery thing is catching on. Costco's doing it now within certain distances from the store. $35 minimum, free delivery with orders over $75. I haven't compared online prices to store prices to see if they're jacking them up.

I know a lot of folks who were liking it real well here too, but like I said, the local Walmart is starting to get less reliable and not all that much of a time saver as it initially was. Personally, I don't believe I'd want some store associate picking out fresh meat or short shelf life items like bakery and dairy products for me. And I would think too that Walmart probably requires order pickers to fill orders with items that have the nearest expiration dates.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by KFWA
I would hate to live in a place where my shopping options were Wal Mart or Dollar General. The trade off better be its beautiful country

And how many options does Southern Ohio have? I live near the river and know the area, so where are they hidden?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice thing about living here.
Mostly low middle income to upper low income.
Working people, many on assistance need the supplement
to fill the need of low wages.

People are conservative and frugal, but most aren't trash.
People of Wal-Mart moments are rare.

I honestly think it's an Amazon/DG one-day punch.
Amazon hits their more expensive, "luxury" items.
TV, electronics, things you can wait on.

DG, hits their quick trip, daily items. And, takes the Acess (EBT) card. Better prices, easier in and out.
We have one Wal-Mart in this county. 30 miles in three directions,
more to the East to find another. DG has at least 6. Strategically
placed, most working people will be within a mile or two of one
sometime during the drive home.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I was in the local store last week with a list of 7 items. Only one was in stock.

Sam......

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There is always plenty of “ Big Uns”. In the Walmart in Tomball!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never shopped at Walmart much but last time I tried was over a year ago and decided never again.

I could barely stomach the place the way it was, if it wasn't the shoppers walking their mutts through the food isles it was their weird employees I let get under my skin.
I was down to hitting the place in the wee hours to avoid most of what I found repulsive and hey, at 4 am the place just wasn't that busy.
I go rollin' in around 4 or 4:30 and find the once 24/7 operation closed. Seems they had new hours, something like 6am to midnight.

Now they must do all that shelf stocking while the isles are filled with people trying to shop. I just never went back after that.

Something is changing there......

For those odd ball items I use to purchase at Walmart, I had to find another resource.
I hit my first Dollar General and was pretty surprised to see how they directly targeted Walmart with their inventory and pricing structure.
They don't carry everything so still needing another resource I stumbled into my first Save-A-Lot grocery.
I found they were doing business much like Dollar General, obviously directly targeting Walmart with inventory and cheaper pricing.

Neither Dollar General or Save-A-Lot are ever crammed with people, never seen a dog walking the food isles at either place and I'd venture to say I spend less on the items I once bought at Walmart now days.

From what I understand about the Save-A-Lot stores, you can have either a really good one or a really bad one, just depends on where you're at.

Yeah, Walmart has some competition out there that is doing fine but I doubt Walmart is going to go under anytime soon.

If they just threw in the towel and quit trying to change in order to keep up with the times they would probably die much like Sears, it's take decade or two before they were to completely fade away.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They've changed their website to be more for online shopping. I used to be able to search for an item and it would tell me which Isle and shelf to find it on. That appears to be gone. It was a big help sometimes to avoid having to find a clerk to find something.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 700LH
Amazon has about stopped free shipping but most things ordered through Walmart can be "shipped to store" free.
We have done that several times.

Don't most things ship free with Prime?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 700LH
Amazon has about stopped free shipping but most things ordered through Walmart can be "shipped to store" free.
We have done that several times.

It's not 'free' because you pay for Prime, but it is handy. It also gets them a lot of business because people have paid for it and want to get their money's worth.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
If I had to give an uneducated guess, Dollar General is inflicting the pain to Walmart. Walmart has actually made some gains on Amazon in online retail.

Dollar General is doing exactly what Wal-Mart did in its early years. Wal-Mart built small stores in smaller communities, stocked the most common items, and sold at every day low prices. They used centralized distribution centers to ensure stable in stock positions and to get items to stores on short notice.

Wal-Mart bought Jet in 2016 thinking they could shape it into Amazon's chief competitor. That hasn't worked out well and Jet is now a niche operation that I don't think will last. Wal-Mart is now focused largely on Wal-Mart online and is using third party (a la Amazon) vendors extensively.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

The biggest advantage the Walmart superstores have over their competitors is the convenience of one-stop shopping in a indoor, climate controlled environment for most everyday things typical, average households need or want in groceries, hardware, clothing, automobile supplies, toys, electronics, over the counter health products, pharmacy, eyeglasses, etc., etc., etc., plus immediate, on the spot returns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

It's not 'free' because you pay for Prime, but it is handy. It also gets them a lot of business because people have paid for it and want to get their money's worth.

I was a Prime member from the day they came up with the idea.
I quit Prime on Amazons last rate hike.

My average Amazon monthly spending has plummeted by about 80% as a result.

I did a lot of needless spending because I was Prime.... if a vendor isn't offering a fair price with free shipping included I don't buy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

The biggest advantage the Walmart superstores have over their competitors is the convenience of one-stop shopping in a indoor, climate controlled environment for most everyday things typical, average households need or want in groceries, hardware, clothing, automobile supplies, toys, electronics, over the counter health products, pharmacy, eyeglasses, etc., etc., etc., plus immediate, on the spot return

Which is exactly why we shop there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I step into a Wal Mart store about 2x a year. I don't order anything from em on line.

Their sporting goods department is a joke and I would rather support the smaller sporting goods stores locally.

When the first Super Center hit the area 25 years ago 99% of the stuff in it was made in the US, not that way anymore. They would rather sell imported junk at cheaper prices than sell quality merchandise.

They get very little of my money.

Had to go to the Rx in one yesterday for the wifes grandmother's prescriptions other than that it's been about 9 months since I swung in.

Fugg em, non ammo selling pricks.

Bet Ol' Sam is all twisted up in his grave.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/30/20.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I was in the local store last week with a list of 7 items. Only one was in stock.

Weren’t you the guy that “hadn’t stepped foot in a Walmart in 30 years, blankety blank blah blah blah by God, commies, etc etc” ??

Or was someone from Jerkwater, Idaho?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wal-Mart Express was an attempt to compete with the dollar stores and it was a complete failure.
They were only around for about five years or so.

Wal-Mart feels the pain these dollar stores are inflicting....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since Walmart is one of the things that it's popular on the Fire to hate, there are at least 2 or 3 threads like this a year on here. Yet, Walmart keeps on chugging along.

If you don't like them, don't shop there. It's just that simple. But, keep one thing in mind.............you're $11.73 purchase at Dollar General isn't going to hurt Walmart one little bit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ummmm, I don’t believe that their milk, butter, deli meat, wonder bread, dog food, Pall Malls, iceberg lettuce, orange juice, Miller lite, cranberry juice, pork n beans, 7-up, ketchup, Vienna sausages, toilet paper, toothpaste, dial soap are made in China

Now, if I’m in there and need a new I-phone charger cable, yeah that probably made in China.

Boo freakin hoo

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 22kHornet, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,604
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.