Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
headed up for 9 days to jackson hole for wife's birthday.
already have the few days of snow mobile riding and some kinda dog sledding booked as well as the elk refuge sleigh ride deal

i'm from south texas and i know it's cold as F$$$
up there so i won't be opposed to drinking whiskey heavily and am taking a couple flasks along for carrying with me on the day trips

is there anything else any of you would recommend we do or see or whatever? like places to eat or bars or whatever?

we both would rather be outdoors so hopefully her shopping will be held to a minimum

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There’s an art museum there, can’t remember the name of it. We were there only 1.5 days. Did that museum and the elk refuge.

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I blew thru there in one night. Stayed at some chithole called the antler inn. $325 a night.

Broken tile, fist holes in drywall, lumpy jailhouse mattresses

Must be something special to folks out there.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Take a run out to Granite hot springs ....bring Bourbon

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My wife and I go there once a winter. We don't down hill ski but there is still a lot to do. You mentioned several things that are good. You can take the ski gondola to the top of the mountain. It is an awesome view. They serve waffles and coffee. Then you can ride the gondola back down. There is also an awesome furier shop that makes very high end fur garments. Really cool to take a look through. Lots of cross country skiing opportunities if you like that. Also, go to the merry pigglet resteraunt. Excellent Mexican food, and the best margarita s that I have ever had. Get the fishbowl! The cowboy bar always has a band, and dancing, but it gets a little crowded. Drive up the road towards yellow stone, they keep it plowed for about 20 miles. Beautiful winter scenery. Jackson is a good place, you will enjoy it.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The flasks should be about it. Everything else is icing on the cake.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by slumlord

Broken tile, fist holes in drywall, lumpy jailhouse mattresses

Sounds like a dream vacation

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
See if the million dollar cowboy saloon is still open, good drinking and a good restaurant down stairs, also the gun barrel is a pretty good restaurant.
I’m not much help on places to stay, always wanted to rent a house there for a week.
Togwotte ain’t far away, good snowmobiling up there.
Ronnie

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
used to have sleigh rides through the elk preservation outside of town. Not sure if they still do it. Definitely worth the ride if they do.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Feed the wolves

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Pinky Gs Pizza is awesome and the only thing in town not ten times overpriced. Noras Fish Creek Inn in Wilson is great for breakfast. Trout fishing should be great but not sure about January. I was there in September. You’re gonna freeze your balls off.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
See if the million dollar cowboy saloon is still open, good drinking and a good restaurant down stairs, also the gun barrel is a pretty good restaurant.
I’m not much help on places to stay, always wanted to rent a house there for a week.
Togwotte ain’t far away, good snowmobiling up there.
Ronnie

Is that the one with saddles as bar stools? Interesting joint.

Look for wolves during the wagon ride at the refuge. They've had problems in the past.

IIRC, it's @ 9000'. Go easy on the alcohol and stay hydrated.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jackson is about 6200 ' and you're not gonna freeze your ass off. We are having a pretty mild warm winter. It's supposed to be mid 50's this weekend here in Bozeman. Take a trip to Dornans at Moose. Great bar and eats with a killer view. +1 on the Merry Piglets Mexican. It was in a wagon on the SE corner of the square when I lived there in the late 70's. They plow the road as far north as Flag Ranch IIRC which is probably 50 miles from town. No reason to go as far as Flag but well worth the drive to Moran.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
You shouldn't miss the national museum of wildlife art!! a great museum with all the old cowboy artists.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
What to do? Cancel until summer and hit Yellowstone.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lived close to Jackson for 26 years. Tourist trap with lots of drug store cowboys. Crazy expensive.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx
What to do? Cancel until summer and hit Yellowstone.

Winner winner

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by stevevan1
Lived close to Jackson for 26 years. Tourist trap with lots of drug store cowboys. Crazy expensive.

Havent been there in 20 years and will never be there again. They managed to take the most beautiful country in the world and rape it. There is no other word for it...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by stevevan1

Havent been there in 20 years and will never be there again. They managed to take the most beautiful country in the world and rape it. There is no other word for it...

You're spoiled. grin For folks that have never seen that part of the country it's still pretty special. You on the other hand have seen far better. No love for Jackson today myself having visited for the first time in 1984 but I suspect those that visited in 1964 think I saw a horrible place too.

That being said, yes, ride the gondola and look at the Tetons. If it's as warm as said, drive through whatever open roads there are at the park.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was there a year ago September. That is a great time to go and do Grand Teton and Yellowstone. This time of year you should see elk everywhere in teh Natl. wildlife refuge. If you're inclined, I'm sure you can do snowmobile tours.

Million Dollar Bar is the place with the saddles. Better food in the restaurant next door (I forget its name).

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,940 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,349
Posts18,468,835
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.