Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
What are the chances of this thing actually working? It's USB gizmo the size of a thumb drive. They say you plug it in and it by passes your Windows or Mac OS and runs your computer on Linux. Can it be that simple? I suspect it isn't. $35
EXTRA-PC

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suspect the reason it says machines after 2004 (just a guess mind you) is that the standard bios in those machines had a boot from usb option

You can download the windows media tool that installs windows 10 on a usb drive you select , plug it in and then your machine will boot from the USB drive and install windows 10.

I'm not a linux guru but the concept would be the same - the machine would essentially use the usb drive as your boot drive and run linux from it, so yea in theory it could be that simple.

Maybe the only thing you'd have to do is go into your machines bios and change the boot order or do something like press the F12 key when the machine boots up to tell it to boot from the usb drive.

Last edited by KFWA; 01/30/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
yes, its that simple. Or you can just download a distribution of linux live and put it on a thumbdrive yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by killerv
yes, its that simple. Or you can just download a distribution of linux live and put it on a thumbdrive yourself.

Beat me to it....

I have a thumb drive I downloaded Linux on, it's free for the download, I think I paid 1.99 for the thumb drive...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It's $35 wasted. You can do exactly the same thing yourself.

1- Download the Linux of your choice (I highly recommend Mint 19.3 Cinnamon)

2- Download a tiny program called Rufus

3- Plug in an empty USB stick 16 GB size

4- Run Rufus, which will automatically find the linux *.iso file and load onto the USB stick, also making it bootable

5 - reboot (You may have to change your boot sequence to start with the USB) and you'll see the option to run Linux from the USB stick as long and often as you like as a trial.

6- If you decide you like Linux. you can install it side-by-side with Windows and be able to boot either one.

(CAUTION! there's a check box that says install by wiping your hard drive. Unclick that option or you completely and unrecoverably lose everything on the Windows side!)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for some people, $35 is easier than those 6 steps.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You'd still have to do steps 5 and 6 - the only tricky ones. The first four are duck soup with a piece of cake.

And you wouldn't get to pick which version of Linux you'd get. They might pick something obsolete like Ubuntu or one designed for expert Linux users. Make your own USB and you get to try a simpler, beginner and "Windows looking" version like Lite or Mint.

Linux comes in a gazillion versions called distribution or "distros" for short. Some are much friendlier than others, some are much more powerful than others - but also difficult to master. If you're now using Win 7, I'd recommend trying Lite 4.8. If you're using W10, try Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (what I'm using now.)

Last edited by RockyRaab; 01/30/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Linux is great for older PC's, Here is a link to save you $35

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/burn.html

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It's $35 wasted. You can do exactly the same thing yourself.

1- Download the Linux of your choice (I highly recommend Mint 19.3 Cinnamon)

2- Download a tiny program called Rufus

3- Plug in an empty USB stick 16 GB size

4- Run Rufus, which will automatically find the linux *.iso file and load onto the USB stick, also making it bootable

5 - reboot (You may have to change your boot sequence to start with the USB) and you'll see the option to run Linux from the USB stick as long and often as you like as a trial.

6- If you decide you like Linux. you can install it side-by-side with Windows and be able to boot either one.

(CAUTION! there's a check box that says install by wiping your hard drive. Unclick that option or you completely and unrecoverably lose everything on the Windows side!)

+10

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Norman's document uses Etcher, which does the same thing as the Rufus that I use. Both are dead simple and both take you to Step Five above.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by killerv

This. If you use Linux live, you can install the linux image from an .iso file. To install, download the linux .iso image file to your PC and then follow Linux Live instructions when you start it. This is free and you don't need to pay for anything other than a USB storage stick.

Just know that if secure UEFI boot is turned on and you don't know the password, you won't be able to boot from a Linux Live image.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Tell ya what, RC. Shoot me a PM and I'll mail you a stick ready to boot. NOT for $35.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's also a good way to break into a Windows system you forgot the password to. laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have a graphics program that I use frequently. It requires IE5 which no long runs on newer computers. It's 32 bit. I have it installed on an older 32 bit computer and it's a pain having to switch back and forth. I might try Llnux on that computer along with Win10 to see how it works.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
What are the chances of this thing actually working? It's USB gizmo the size of a thumb drive. They say you plug it in and it by passes your Windows or Mac OS and runs your computer on Linux. Can it be that simple? I suspect it isn't. $35
EXTRA-PC

Yep, it's that simple. My old laptop was on Windows Vista and stopped being supported. It still worked for a year or more, but finally quit. My brother plugged in what looked like a memory stick and presto, it was running on another system. I dont remember if it was Linux or not, but he was able to get my info off the laptop and onto a memory stick, so I didn't lose pics, reports, etc.

RR's idea is best if you want to install it on your computer. If you just want to have it available and not installed on your computer, the stick is best.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tag

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I don't get it. why fool with Linuxat all? iMac does everything I can think of wanting in a computer.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have a Mac and won't pay Apples outrageous prices to get one.

― George Orwell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I don't have a Mac and won't pay Apples outrageous prices to get one.

I call it the “Apple tax ”.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I have a graphics program that I use frequently. It requires IE5 which no long runs on newer computers. It's 32 bit. I have it installed on an older 32 bit computer and it's a pain having to switch back and forth. I might try Llnux on that computer along with Win10 to see how it works.

is the graphic programs publicly available ? would you give me the link. It is strange it requires IE5 !

to boot from usb on windows 10 , use this steps :

https://store.hp.com/us/en/tech-takes/how-to-boot-from-usb-drive-on-windows-10-pcs

if you have a mac you know what to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 73 invisible), 3,031 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.