OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
How are you adj. CUP to PSI for QL?

Jim Gibson
BP-B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
there is no conversion formula. The only thing you can do is find the actual PSI and enter those in for QL.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FatAlbert
How are you adj. CUP to PSI for QL?

Originally Posted by Ehryk
there is no conversion formula. The only thing you can do is find the actual PSI and enter those in for QL.

Go here, answers some of OP’s question, debunks single answer.

https://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/psicuparticle2.pdf

Swifty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Why do you worry about it? Most likely you can't measure either and I'm guessing your gonna judge it with a chronograph? Doesn't make any difference what the pressure of a load is so long as the gun doesn't blow up and your getting results you like. If the gun is reaching 100,000 CUP or PSI either one and doesn't blow up but gives tiny groups, you gonna down load because of pressure you can't even measure in the first place?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Why do you worry about it? Most likely you can't measure either and I'm guessing your gonna judge it with a chronograph? Doesn't make any difference what the pressure of a load is so long as the gun doesn't blow up and your getting results you like. If the gun is reaching 100,000 CUP or PSI either one and doesn't blow up but gives tiny groups, you gonna down load because of pressure you can't even measure in the first place?

I believe that there is cumulative effect of excessive pressure that needs to be considered.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I believe that there is cumulative effect of excessive pressure that needs to be considered.

It the gun doesn't blow up, your good to go. Your worrying about something you have absolutely no way to measure!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Denton Bramwell has a conversin formula that works well. Just google it and check it out

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Overstressing the action is cumulative.

For QL, just follow their safe loads. Because the pressures are computer simulations, they will not match actual pressure measurements.

QL does not have a conversion formula built into it. To satisfy your own curiosity, the suggestion to use Denton's method will work.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

"Comparison is the thief of joy." - Teddy Roosevelt.
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad

It the gun doesn't blow up, your good to go. Your worrying about something you have absolutely no way to measure!

If the gun doesn't blow up??? WTF?
This has got to be one of the most ignorant and dangerous comments I ever read!.
Einstein once said that there is no limit to the stupidity of mankind....further evidence that he was right.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Someone, I THINK it was Ken Howell, once said in an article about reloading that he had a method that was pretty accurate in estimating pressure using chronograph info. Unfortunately, in the article he said that he would address this in a later article that he would publish at a future time. I do not know if he ever published it or not, as I have never seen it. I sure would like to learn about it. I can guess that maybe by taking a published pressure for a given load and comparing it to a published pressure of another load using the same powder, bullet, barrel, and primer and calculating the difference and then determining the amount of difference a grain of powder increase or decrease has on velocity, this could be converted to an estimated pressure for another load. ...Dang, that was a long sentence....I see a problem with this, if in fact this is what he had in mind - I'm only guessing. This does not take into consideration any pressure spikes a powder may have at different points. IF a particular powder is COMPLETELY CONSISTANT in equal increments with pressure increases with no spikes, I can see this as an accurate calculation. Again, I am only guessing what he was going to say. I would really like to know what he was going to say about this. If anyone has access to information about this, please post it. Thanks.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
IC B3

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
MickyD: I think that we just discovered another person that you would not have at the shooting bench next to the one that you are using. PS : how I do it is make a correlation between the two numbers. On a 223 Rem the max # are 55.0K PSI and 52.0K CUP. I dev. the 55.0 by 52.0 and get 1.0577. To get PSI from CUP, I mult. the CUP by 1.0577. To go from PSI to CUP, the # is 0.9455. So PSI X 0.9455 = CUP? or there about .

Jim Gibson
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've conducted a lot of Piezo pressure measurements. I've also conducted a lot of velocity measurements.

Prior to conducting Piezo pressure measurements, I had a favorite load that was MUCH faster than the reloading manuals.

The evening that I conducted Piezo pressure measurements on Proof loads I went home and pulled the bullets from my favorite loads.

The reality is that (assuming reasonable propellants) Velocity = Pressure. If you are getting way higher velocity, you are getting way higher pressure.

Blowing up a gun when you are planning it and recording the results can be fun. Blowing up a gun when you are holding it is not.

If you care about your safety, get a good chronograph and load reasonable components to reasonable velocity.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BufordBoone
I've conducted a lot of Piezo pressure measurements. I've also conducted a lot of velocity measurements.

Prior to conducting Piezo pressure measurements, I had a favorite load that was MUCH faster than the reloading manuals.

The evening that I conducted Piezo pressure measurements on Proof loads I went home and pulled the bullets from my favorite loads.

The reality is that (assuming reasonable propellants) Velocity = Pressure. If you are getting way higher velocity, you are getting way higher pressure.

Blowing up a gun when you are planning it and recording the results can be fun. Blowing up a gun when you are holding it is not.

If you care about your safety, get a good chronograph and load reasonable components to reasonable velocity.

Truer words were never spoken when it comes to hand loading ammunition.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by FatAlbert
MickyD: I think that we just discovered another person that you would not have at the shooting bench next to the one that you are using. PS : how I do it is make a correlation between the two numbers. On a 223 Rem the max # are 55.0K PSI and 52.0K CUP. I dev. the 55.0 by 52.0 and get 1.0577. To get PSI from CUP, I mult. the CUP by 1.0577. To go from PSI to CUP, the # is 0.9455. So PSI X 0.9455 = CUP? or there about .

You need to read Denton's article.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by mathman
[quote=FatAlbert]MickyD: I think that we just discovered another person that you would not have at the shooting bench next to the one that you are using. PS : how I do it is make a correlation between the two numbers. On a 223 Rem the max # are 55.0K PSI and 52.0K CUP. I dev. the 55.0 by 52.0 and get 1.0577. To get PSI from CUP, I mult. the CUP by 1.0577. To go from PSI to CUP, the # is 0.9455. So PSI X 0.9455 = CUP? or there about .

You need to read Denton's article.[/quo

Here's another one that will get you into the ball park.. ball park only !
..not the Game.

1.516 X CUP minus 17,902

When applied by competent people,with the right intent, common sense goes along wayt
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
For those with Quickload who may not know.. you can adjust the burn rate of a particular powder/lot by simply tweaking the burn rate to coincide with the measured 5 shot average chronograph velocities from a particular rifle and cartridge. Be sure to tweak the ambient temperature setting as well . File the resulting burn rate/temp and bullet weight data in QL or in your log book. I've found burn rate/pressures to be quite consistent, but you have to enter Ba each time as QL reverts to default values after each use, .

When applied by competent people,with the right intent, common sense goes along wayt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SAAMI does have a conversion formula CUP to PSI is CUP x 1.52 - 18,000 = PSI

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Anytime you get to the 100,000 CUP...wear eye protection.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Anytime you get to the 100,000 CUP...wear eye protection.

And body armor.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With 30 seconds of surfing one can find several conversion formulas. Notice, however, almost no one ever includes their correlation coefficients or coefficients of determination (R or R²) which are indices of exactly how well the various values match up.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/08/21.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
270 members (264mag, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 308Palma, 38 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,236
Posts18,371,369
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.