Print Thread
Hop To
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
What have you all deduced regarding wind drift? I plan to do my own hands on research,but it doesn't hurt to ask the masses. Arrow diameter, fletching,speed.

My Gold Tip 400 Velocities are moving out at 307 fps. Trajectory is great,but I'm concerned their light weight will drift easily. Maybe one of the small dia shafts a little heavier would be better. I build my own so options are endless. Any advise from the folks that hunt windy country will be greatly appreciated.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
JMHO - if the wind is blowing hard enough to push my arrow out of a 6-9 inch circle at what I consider an ethical range - I need to get closer.

For me - that’s 30-40 yards, with a 400-425 grain arrow at 29.5 inches, usually a CE Max Hunter in 350-450 spine with a Slick Trick and Blazers. I think I’m running about 285-295 ish, haven’t chronoed in a while.

Hunting South Central Idaho - it’s deep timber and open alpine mountain tops - yeah, wind can be a factor.

Your broad head choice will have as much effect on wind drift as the shaft will, shooting a wide blade will somewhat negate what you are gaining with a narrow shaft.

There’s a 60 yard range by where I live, and we can get good crosswinds from the Potomac river on it. I know my set up will get me to the 40 yards with limited thought. Usually - for me - the wind buffeting the vertical bow is more disruptive to a good shot than the effect on the arrow.

IMHO - mass in an arrow shaft is rarely a bad thing, on the receiving end. From playing around with Easton FMJ, and Deep Six’s - my experience with both didn’t get me a whole lot of distinctive returns.

Last edited by AH64guy; 01/28/20.
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I have some Gold Tip Black Labels at 485 grain and 16% FOC. They clock 275 fps at 68 pounds. 90 grain insert, 100 grain Grim Reaper, and 3 Blazers. I may make up a couple small dia shafts of some brand or other, at a comparable weight and FOC. Then air them out side by side. We get lots of windy days here at the house to try different angles and wind speeds.

I agree with the wind buffeting vertical bows. I remember canting into a breeze at 3D competitions 25 years ago. Arrow selection then was limited by today's standards. Thought I'd see if anyone here had a good recipe or two for these little splinters we have now.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Easy, get closer. Good thing is when the wind is blowing it is easier to get closer. I personally would not shoot over about 30 yards in a stiff wind. A field point will shoot fairly close to your aim point, but put a broadhead on the end of that arrow and the poi will really shift. Be sure to practice in the wind with your broadhead before you try anything but a chip shot.

Last edited by centershot; 01/29/20.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Million dollar? What works/is possible for one, will not be for the other. Ability, draw length, draw weight, and equipment all vary between archers. I am currently experimenting with the carbon express maxima reds and Easton FMJs. Prior to them I was shooting the Easton Flat Lines. I find the FMJs and Reds are better in the wind. Another thing to watch is fletching noise in flight as you extend range.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunt the open country a ton and I've had the best luck with a heavier, thinner diameter arrow.

I shoot the Deep Six 4 mm FMJ's in 280 spine and that is the best I've found for the conditions I hunt in and I hunt pretty much exclusively spot and stalk.

Just my opinion after trying several different arrows and diameters.

I'm more worried about holding my bow steady in the wind then arrow drift, that's the tougher part I've found.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes
I hunt the open country a ton and I've had the best luck with a heavier, thinner diameter arrow.

I shoot the Deep Six 4 mm FMJ's in 280 spine and that is the best I've found for the conditions I hunt in and I hunt pretty much exclusively spot and stalk.

Just my opinion after trying several different arrows and diameters.

I'm more worried about holding my bow steady in the wind then arrow drift, that's the tougher part I've found.

Are you using HITs or outsert/ footings on those FMJs?

Last edited by Otter6; 01/30/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

318 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.