Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14521057 01/30/20
A
atse Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Was shooting at distance today when I got the audible "click". Waited a little bit, and ejected the shell. There was a visible dent in the primer, but it didn't go bang.CCI 200 primer, lapua brass. I have shot several thousand of them the last few years. Can't remember a dud in the past. Anyone else get duds with these primers? Not particularly worried about it, just wondering.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Of course, if anybody shoots often enough as we all do duds are to be expected. Now begins 10 pages of Campfire rhetoric on the why's, wherefores, and personal experiences therein. grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gnoahh: And the 10 pages of "personal experiences" is/will be, a good thing!
Right!
Atse: I have been handloading since I taught myself to do so 60+ years ago when I was 12.
I have probably reloaded Rifle 100,000 cartridges (I am often a high volume Varmint Hunter!) and I have never had a "failure to ignite" centerfire cartridge!
I use mostly Federal primers with a few Remingtons thrown in.
Next time you go to the range try that cartridge again - then take it home and carefully disassemble it to see if you can detect and semi-burnt indications of primer or powder or if in fact something was forgotten (powder?).
Its rare anymore when I hear of one of my friends/Hunting partners having a handload fail to fire/ignite.
In my experience good quality centerfire Rifle primers are VERY reliable.
Maybe it was just a "one of" light firing pin strikes?
Be careful and I hope you figure this one out.
Maybe even try that same cartridge in question in another Rifle of the same caliber to see if it ignites?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Of course, if anybody shoots often enough as we all do duds are to be expected. Now begins 10 pages of Campfire rhetoric on the why's, wherefores, and personal experiences therein. grin

And the condemnation of certain brands and the branding of those who use them as unfit to own firearms, as well as the elevation of other brands to the highest pedestals and those who use them to god-like status.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

And the condemnation of certain brands and the branding of those who use them as unfit to own firearms, as well as the elevation of other brands to the highest pedestals and those who use them to god-like status.

Not here on the Fire... blush

You gotta be kidding... cool

DF

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a couple of FTF's over the years and over many, many thousands of rounds loaded. Ain't no thing. Whether the odd dud gets through at the primer manufacturing facility or I got a bit of case lube on the primer, either way a 0.002-0.003% failure rate is pretty good.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
atse,

The primer pockets on Lapua brass are sometimes deeper than other brass. Some primer tools may not seat the primer all the way down, resulting in a misfire.

Lefty

A
atse Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I've had a couple of FTF's over the years and over many, many thousands of rounds loaded. Ain't no thing. Whether the odd dud gets through at the primer manufacturing facility or I got a bit of case lube on the primer, either way a 0.002-0.003% failure rate is pretty good.

Kind of my thoughts. Unless it would have been on a coyote. Then I would have been border line suicidal. Would have kicked and fumed all the way to the truck.

A
atse Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
atse,

The primer pockets on Lapua brass are sometimes deeper than other brass. Some primer tools may not seat the primer all the way down, resulting in a misfire.

Lefty

I don't use a priming tool. I individually seat each one on the press. Upon examination of the cartridge before I threw it down the hill( last time on these brass) the primer was flush just like all the others. The pockets are a tad deeper than other brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I individually seat each one on the press.

You handle each primer with your fingers?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have only had a few. I have picked up more than a few live rounds off the ground at the range that were FTF with a firing pin dent in the primer. I usually pull the bullets on these and most of the time I found the round devoid of powder.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had two significant issues with FTF's over the years. Both were cleared up by disassembling the bolt, cleaning it of filings, and reassembling. Both were inexpensive new rifles.

A
atse Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
I individually seat each one on the press.

You handle each primer with your fingers?

Yes

A
atse Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I have only had a few. I have picked up more than a few live rounds off the ground at the range that were FTF with a firing pin dent in the primer. I usually pull the bullets on these and most of the time I found the round devoid of powder.

Seems like the primer would give it just enough oomph to get the bullet stuck in the barrel.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No, but that's my biggest fear when loading SD ammo, I know damn well they ALL have powder, even hand run them through the various weapons for funstion, the damn primer is the only 'what if' !

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back from my days shooting artillery, You did not have a dud, a dud is when the artillery warhead does not explode. What you had was a FTF or failure to fire. I've had both when firing the M20 75 mm Recoiless Rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
........Sigh.......Ya gotta send the scope back to Leupold......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I never had a hand load not fire the primer. I used to load about 300 rounds a week for me and my buddy.. I once had a box of federal 20 ga 3 in mag failed, 15 to fire

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never had a primer not pop. Had a few that folded under pressure.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I always had problems reading primers.

And I dealt with my first primer 60 years ago.

Hold into the bowl. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 15 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.