Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Partagas
What brake did you go with from Harrell? The tactical tuner brakes seem interesting, kind of like the old browning Boss system.

4 port tactical stainless (non tune). Got whatever size I needed to fit T3 Lite. BUT, they come raw stainless. Mine needed to be bead blasted and matches the barrel finish perfectly. Almost looks like it belongs. PM for pics if interested.

Last edited by OrangeDiablo; 03/31/20.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no idea what brand of brake this is on my 300 Win Mag but the recoil is amazingly lite.I think I could shoot it with one hand.It seems like all the recoil is directed straight out the sides of the brake and really almost nothing directed back to the shooter.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I have no idea what brand of brake this is on my 300 Win Mag but the recoil is amazingly lite.I think I could shoot it with one hand.It seems like all the recoil is directed straight out the sides of the brake and really almost nothing directed back to the shooter.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That appears to be one of my designs or s copy of it..
Does it have 6 small holes in the top

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For people who have tested brakes does it seem like the ports are in the reverse order that they should be?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
For people who have tested brakes does it seem like the ports are in the reverse order that they should be?

I never noticed that but yes..in my tests there was always more gas letof in the first hole...for some of my varmint rifles I left it a 2 port instead of 3.. you can hardly tell the dif..
Made up one with one port that worked fine but looked odd to me so I didn't make any more

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Take a look at https://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/ Very good comparison video's of many different brakes shot with the same rifle/same load on a sled showing the effectiveness of lots of different breaks. Some work a lot better than others for recoil reduction. Some of the results are surprising.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because of his videos I ordered a titanium 5 port 1" lil' beast for my 8mm wildcat. I'm anxiously waiting for it. I will let you guys know how
it works when I get it installed on the rifle. In fact I will do a comparison with it and a home made brake on my recoil slide.

Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I like muzzle brakes. I have tried many different brakes over the years. Started out with the radial style brakes many years ago. They work, but they are not as effective as some of the newer brakes that are available today. The slight change in the angle/degree of the vents has improved the performance of some of the newer brakes. My Southern Precision 300 WSM still wears a Ross brake. It is a good brake, very effective, I like it. I have 4 other Hi Power rifles that I have swapped out the radial brakes to brakes from muzzle brakes and more. There is a noticeable difference. IMO his muzzle brakes are as good as any brake on the market that cost much more.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am happy with the Muscle Brake on my 338 RUM. After burning out a barrel without one and another 150 rounds on the new barrel, a neck injury convinced me to try. I really like it.

Salmonhead
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve tried a bunch. Muzzle brakes and more beast brakes are the most effective brake I’ve used. I’m also a big fan of harrells precision 4 port tactical brakes as they are cheap and work well too, not as good as the beast brakes, though.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fat Bastard then when you get tired of it get a Thunderbeast can like the ultra 7 or 9

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Over the last few years I've been doing considerably more CQB and have gone to using blast cans on everything that push everything forward. Currently I run the Presma combination brake with the blast can and I think it runs about $40. Have slowly converted over everything I had braked to this style and won't go back to an open port design.

https://ar15discounts.com/products/presma-muzzle-brake-5-8x24-w-blast-forwarding-device/

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I won't hunt with a muzzle brake but they do have their place for some shooting disciplines such as prairie dog shooting or long range shooting where you need to spot your own hits and misses. For general carry, they are just too noisy. I can't hunt with earplugs in.

I have seen some testing where brakes can hurt accuracy- especially in shooting big mono metal solids like used in ELR shoots. The best brakes seem to be the high evacuation rate brakes like the 50 BMG guys use and not the cute cylinders with many holes machined in the sides. I haven't played with them enough to form an opinion on this yet. Still trying to get myself talked into using one for long range hunting but I think I will stick with a suppressor for now.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dennisinaz,

Where did you hear brakes reduce accuracy. That is the exact opposite of my experience and the experience of those I know who use them.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good brake does not hurt accuracy.
Holland's Radial Baffle brake (Solid-bottom brake) is my favorite.
Light weight 15" barrel.
https://youtu.be/wlyHHUdIIrw

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
dennisinaz,

Where did you hear brakes reduce accuracy. That is the exact opposite of my experience and the experience of those I know who use them.

You don't shoot long high bc solid lathe turned bullets do you?

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
dennisinaz,

You don't shoot long high bc solid lathe turned bullets do you?

I'm curious what that has to do with anything here.

I tried some that keyholded in my hunting rifle. I guess Pac-Nor made a mistake on their twist. I didn't know they were keyholing until I fired six at 300 yards.
Never-the-less they made a group of 4". No telling how good they would have done if the twist was correct.

Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I sent you a PM. I don't want to ruin this thread.

NRA Benefactor Member

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would love to put one on a 264 win mag just to break out when the AR morons start blazing away on the bench next to me at the public range.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.