Print Thread
Hop To
S
Stuart Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Haven't seen any mention of this here, although it's a very hot topic on Canaadian Gunnutz.

Possibly not many 24-Hr. Campfire folks are into those evil "military-type-assault-semi-auto-rifles" (nor am I) but the idea of ramming this sort of legislation down our throats by Order-In-Council is deeply worrying on principle. I thought OICs, like the War Measures Act, were only justified for situations of grave national emergency. Now it seems they are "Justinified" for anything the Government doesn't want to debate. The only national emergency we have that relates to guns is the increase of gang-related violence. Domestic offences, while certainly not zero, are relatively low.

Quite possibly even "ordinary hunters" like those with a venerable Remington 7600 or a Browning BAR will be affected. Plus there is talk of giving in to delusional big city mayors and allowing cities to ban handguns, which will undoubtedly scare the pants off the gang-bangers laugh. The govenment, although a minority, is on a roll with this, doing whatever it can to pander to public ignorance, and the less push back they get, the more aggressive they are likely to become. The "evil gun lobby" (ie anyone possessing more than an old Cooey .22 and a Winchester 94) has traditionally been pretty quiet, but it seems that finally we are waking up.

We need as many signatures from Canadians on this as possible. It's open only until Feb. 15. Already, with over 113,000 signatures, it is the second most signed such petition after e-616 on Electoral Reform at 130,452. We should be able to exceed that. When you sign, you will get a return e-mail for confirmation, so check your IN box as well as your Spam folder!

Here's the link: Petition e-2341

And the text:

Petition to the Government of Canada
Whereas:
• The Government of Canada has expressed its intention to ban, what it refers to as “military-style assault rifles”, through an Order in Council;
• Public Safety Canada’s information notes this is not a legal definition in Canada;
• The use of an Order in Council is an egregious overreach of executive authorities, bypassing the democratic process of the House and the elected representatives of Canadians;
• This executive order would strip law-abiding Canadians it has approved through the RCMP Canada Firearms Program, of their legally purchased property;
• The use of an Order in Council ignores the Government’s survey on firearms where “the majority of respondents did not support further limiting access to firearms & assault-style firearms”;
• The proposed buyback of legal, licenced firearms could cost the Canadian taxpayer over $250,000,000 which could be better spent on initiatives that have an appreciable positive impact on public safety such as: deter youth from gangs, addiction treatment, mental health, strengthened border security, and increase police anti-gang capacities;
• An Order in Council ban on “military-style assault rifles” would fail to take firearms away from criminals; and
• A ban would unfairly target Canadian firearms owners who are already among the most vetted in Canadian society. Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) and Restricted PAL (RPAL) holders are subject to daily screening and are statistically proven to be less likely to commit crimes than non-PAL & non-RPAL holders.

We, the undersigned, citizens of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to put any new firearms laws, bans, buyback programs or changes to licencing before the House of Commons to be debated.

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
According to the Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights, e-petition 2341 has become the most signed petition in history. Over 142,000 signatures as of 2300 hrs, 31 Jan 20.

https://firearmrights.ca/en/e-2341-becomes-most-signed-petition-in-history/

Here's the petition again.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/...ZPPMao31pkL20tCUxBxBSIov5dfy4hkzYfv0Hvx4

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Stuart Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
According to the Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights, e-petition 2341 has become the most signed petition in history. Over 142,000 signatures as of 2300 hrs, 31 Jan 20.

https://firearmrights.ca/en/e-2341-becomes-most-signed-petition-in-history/

Here's the petition again.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/...ZPPMao31pkL20tCUxBxBSIov5dfy4hkzYfv0Hvx4

Hopefully ALL fellow Canucks on here have signed. It's as much a matter of principle as specifically about "military-style-assault-rifles", which, taken to extremes, could even be your beloved .303! (In WWI, the "mad minute" must have felt like a bunch of "assault rifles.")

Last edited by Stuart; 01/31/20.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Done, and thanks for the reminder to sign on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stuart;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that the first month of 2020 treated you acceptably and this first morning of the second month finds you well.

Thanks for the reminder, I appreciate it and absolutely did sign it.

In some ways and to the younger folks here, this may all sound like a new thing in Canada, but for some of us who are getting long in the tooth now, it's just the latest wave.

Very clearly I recall telling the "old boys" at our Oliver, BC gun club that the government didn't want them to have their 1100 trap gun or their Parker Hale Safari because one was an evil semi-auto and one was a military derivative. As I put it to them then, "They don't trust us, we scare them to their very core and the sooner we're totally disarmed the happier they will be."

I believed that with all my being when I said it in '89 and I believe it today.

Honestly I'm not much of a "black rifle" kinda guy, but if anyone can't objectively see that they are functionally identical to a Winchester 1905 SLR - with which we've managed not to eliminate ourselves in the last 115 years.

Finally, I wish I didn't see it as one more divisive wedge that the power brokers in Ottawa weren't driving between the rural and urban population and to some degree east vs. west too. So help me sir, that is precisely at present how I do perceive their efforts.

Thanks again and all the best to you folks as we head into hopefully warmer weather and longer days.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Gladly signed.

Praying it has the right effect.

Brother Keith

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Stuart Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks, Dwayne. The first day of the month has had me up all night figuring how to make pontoons for my tractor and excavator due to the Biblical rain we've been having. But otherwise, things are pretty good smile

Your reminisces of previous hoplophobia are a good reminder that this isn't new. And as to being disarmed, there was the ominous statement from Lloyd Axworthy in 1998, plus the earlier one from Sen. Sharon Carstairs (re. Bill C-68- supposedly the government's "response" to the École Poly massacre) :

"C-68 has little to do with gun control or crime control, but it is the first step necessary to begin the social re-engineering of Canada." (Senator Sharon Carstairs , 1996)

"...disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda." (Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.)

And yes, it is simply driving the wedge even deeper between rural & urban populations, when what we desperately need is a government that will try to work to heal the rift. Having grown up in Vancouver and been active in the arts (music) there, I find myself somewhat torn on many issues since I guess I've been part of the "urban elite" and still have some good friends there.

This pandering to illusory substantial public support for "more gun control" is just trying to buy votes from a gun-ignorant public and goes far beyond the allegedly "evil" nature of certain classes of firearms, and is why it's important for even regular hunters like yourself and many on this Forum to sign. I myself have no interest in the AR platform; my current interest is handguns, which are also being queued up for punitive action by delusional mayors of some cities. You have to wonder what some of these people are smoking- even though some of "it" is actually legal now smile

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Signed early on.
Glen Motz is my MP and a good guy.
Get your family and friends to sign as well.
This is about more than just guns in many ways.
Any govt that legislates via OIC is not democratic at all, it is called a dictatorship.
Jeff

S
Stuart Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by troutfly
...Glen Motz is my MP and a good guy....

You're lucky. I heard Glen speak here at a meeting on Bill C-71 and was quite impressed. An ex-cop, I believe, with a good head on his shoulders. It was he who provided me with those quotes from Sen. Carstairs and Axworthy, which I had not known of before.

As of 5:40pm PST, the petition is at 144,638, with 14 days to go.

S
Stuart Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
A bit of advice from someone on CGN, regarding not getting a verification e-mail, which is essential if your vote is actually be counted:

"Try logging in to your ISP server's email website. That's where I find all my 'junk' emails... "

Apparently there are a LOT of unverified votes. I'm on Gmail and mine went through OK, not even going to my Gmail Junk folder, but the ways of the internet can be weird...

Last edited by Stuart; 02/02/20.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
yes make sure you check your junk email folder.

in the mean time just to be that Canadian Duck unlimited refused to be associated with this petition and they have a seat on the Canadian Firearms Advisory Council.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Stuart
Originally Posted by troutfly
...Glen Motz is my MP and a good guy....

You're lucky. I heard Glen speak here at a meeting on Bill C-71 and was quite impressed. An ex-cop, I believe, with a good head on his shoulders. It was he who provided me with those quotes from Sen. Carstairs and Axworthy, which I had not known of before.

As of 5:40pm PST, the petition is at 144,638, with 14 days to go.

He is very well spoken, knows the issues inside out and is a supporter of law abiding gunowners.
Yes, he is a retired Medicine Hat cop.
Jeff

S
Stuart Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Two days from the deadline, we are at 171,441.

Someone on CGN posted this very telling comparison of this petition vs the one "Windy" Wendy tried to promote a year ago via one of her Liberal MPs. e-1923 ran for 120 days vs. this one for 90, and quite aside from the massive vs "meh" response, notice the distribution of votes. Of the barely over 20k that e-1923 received, approx. 16,000 - 80%- were from Ontario, which "just coincidentally" is where Windy Wendy and her supporters are. So much for the assertion that "60-80% of Canadians are in favour of more gun control."

Attached Images
Petition comparisons.jpg (67.38 KB, 46 downloads)
Last edited by Stuart; 02/13/20.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the looks of things somebody is telling a fib.

Jim

S
Stuart Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by texasbatman
From the looks of things somebody is telling a fib.

Jim

There is indeed a lot of moo-poo floating around the Government offices in Ottawa these days smile

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There has always been a lot of BS floated by politicians, regardless of stripe, since the dawn of political organizing.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Stuart Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
There has always been a lot of BS floated by politicians, regardless of stripe, since the dawn of political organizing.

Very true, hence numerous captioned pics and cartoons of septic tank trucks labelled "Caution: This truck filled with political promises".
It usually boils down to "choosing the pong you prefer."

S
Stuart Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Looks like 174,810 is the final count.

Attached Images
e-2341 final count.jpg (19.16 KB, 15 downloads)
Last edited by Stuart; 02/15/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 12 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.