Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not a hockey enthusiast. I don't even know all the rules of the game, but...

I know that the home team has to provide an amateur goalie who is available to play for either team in the event of an emergency (i.e. Scott Foster played for the Blackhawks). My question is why do they do that? Is an amateur who actually plays goalie in a rec league a better defensive option than using another professional player from your team who maybe played some goalie in high school? Major league baseball teams don't have emergency pitchers--they just use position players to pitch when they want to save the bullpen.

So, what is the reason for the rule? If both of your goalies go down, why a guy off the street--is it because an amateur dedicated/actual goalie is more likely to stop the puck than a NHL position player subbing in at goalie? Is it a safety issue for the non-goalie players? Some weird contract issue between the players association and the league? What?

Thanks!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
One of the reasons is there really aren’t that many of them. They only get used in absolute last minute. It’s been done here in MN a few times. One of our own has actually done it I think. Goalie...imagine that. grin

I don’t think he played but got to be on call. I might be completely wrong. Lol

Camp is where you make it.
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK, but why an outsider. Why not make a 3rd string defenseman from your own team put on the pads and play goalie?

Wade

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Waders
OK, but why an outsider. Why not make a 3rd string defenseman from your own team put on the pads and play goalie?

My guess would be that even a minor league goalie would make a better goalie than someone who doesn't play the position.

Plus if the visiting team needed the emergency goalie, it would be a bit of a conflict of interest for a 3rd string defenseman from the other team to be their goalie.

Last edited by natman; 02/01/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Strange question. Hockey fans don't worry about this, it just is.

Goalies are strange, not many people will stand guarding a net with frozen, hard rubber disks being fired at you at 90mph. At the upper levels, goalie equipment is custom made to fit the goalies stature for the best protective coverage. So they do not keep a set for a position player to be an emergency backup.

Most kids have specialized as goalies by age 12, so an amateur will likely be better than a position player.

Seldom is an emgency goaltender required. Rosters are capped at 23. Seldom will a team use a spot for a third goaltender. If they do, it is because they have 3 they want to keep, but because of contract status, they don't want to expose one to waivers when being sent down to the minors.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I should add that few people are flexible enough to play goal without injury. Goalies spend hours a day stretching and maintaining their flexibility.

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by natman
[... it would be a bit of a conflict of interest for a 3rd string defenseman from the other team to be their goalie.

I meant that each team would provide their own substitute from their own roster--like in every other sport.

But, I see from other responses that the consensus is that an amateur purpose-built goalie would be more effective than handing the mask to the least valuable roster player on your own team.

Thanks all!

Wade

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The customized to player equipment makes sense as the major reason. I don't watch hockey.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Emergency goalies often practice with the teams during summer and practice shoot-outs as well. They usually aren't just off the street but may have played goalie at some levels before. usually there are 2 per home arena on site at every game. They often spend time with the home teams as well. My buddies kid was our home goalie in high school, went to college and played, then took a job out in vegas working but stayed working with hockey programs out there. He got involved with the knights and ended up being there emergency goalie, and even dressed for the jets once while there. now he's back in Minnesota, but I don't think he's on the Wild side yet.

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This would make an interesting concept for the NFL to adopt for emergency quarterbacks!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, it seemed appropriate to bring this up...

Wade

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It's not a random, off the street guy, it's an "almost NHL" quality goalie. Usually someone cut or trying to make it. They are very good goalies, just not NHL quality.

On the RARE occassion they get used, it's a free tryout, in front of both teams.

Goalies are a special breed, they've been goalies since very young. Takes a certain kind of person to stand there and get pucks shot at them

Last edited by Bob_H_in_NH; 02/24/20.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
"Get pucks shot at them", do you mean like posting here, and reading the responses? laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
This guy is a practice goalie for the Leafs, so he's hardly an outsider or guy off the street.

Even in practice they need someone who has some skill, rather than standing there like Boppo the Clown.

I say good on him. It's a feel good story. Enjoy it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The home team always supplies an emergency back up goalie and he is eligible to play for either team should the need arise, it's actually an NHL rule.

NHL rules state (NHL rule 5.3.) that if both of a team's goalies are forced out due to injury, a team is "entitled to dress and play any available goalkeeper." And more recently, the NHL has required home teams to maintain a list of available area goaltenders who could fill in for either team in a pinch.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
One of the reasons is there really aren’t that many of them. They only get used in absolute last minute. It’s been done here in MN a few times. One of our own has actually done it I think. Goalie...imagine that. grin

Has anybody talked to Goalie lately? I was thinking about him when David Ayers took the ice the other night.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Waders
Well, it seemed appropriate to bring this up...

love it

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Why don't they just get a 600lb fat mf'er and just sit him in front of the goal?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tzone

Remember Gump Worsley? No mask, no helmet - PURE hockey...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by mirage243
Why don't they just get a 600lb fat mf'er and just sit him in front of the goal?

we have a volunteer

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 1_deuce, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 39 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,340
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.